The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#119938 - 01/13/08 10:06 PM Top Ramen thread
oceanside Offline
Stranger

Loc: Miami, Florida
I know people have their opinions on top ramen for food when money is low, but what do you think about Top Ramen for emergency situations or for the BOB? Who has top Ramen on their stock, Im curious what experiences people have, etc. It's hella cheap for the dollar spent, and has pretty good storage life.

what are your thoughts about top ramen?

#119940 - 01/13/08 10:10 PM Re: Top Ramen thread [Re: oceanside]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Got some, along with Lipton meals and other goodies. They are OK I guess, kinda high in sodium, something my BP doesn't really need. My wife (who has discustingly low bloodpressure) has them for lunch from time to time...

#119942 - 01/13/08 10:30 PM Re: Top Ramen thread [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
We lived on this stuff in Boy Scouts... for probably several years, until our Scoutmasters discovered Backcountry Pantry foods. I have it around mainly for late-night munchies, or if I'm too tired to think of what to make for dinner. So I guess in that sense, it's OK. The bag is pretty lightweight though, so ripping might be a concern. Also, the nutritional value is pretty low. It's good "filler" if nothing else.

It's also GREAT after a night of drinking; the fluids and salts do a good job of keeping the hangover to a dull roar smile

But, i usually only put in half the spice packet. As OBG said, it's sodium content is astronomical.

#119945 - 01/13/08 10:40 PM Re: Top Ramen thread [Re: MDinana]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
To second what MDinana said, Ramen noodles make a good filler if you have other stuff to put with it. Wild edibles and a bit of squirrel can be stretched into a quite satisfying meal. It is a bit water intensive but on the other hand you'll be drinking boiled water.

They are cheap and useful enough to store for bugging in but not calorie-dense enough to take with us in an emergency. We have better choices for that.

Sidenote: our kids love them so there's some "comfort food" ability with them.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#119946 - 01/13/08 11:00 PM Re: Top Ramen thread [Re: Blast]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
They are good when you add veggies and meat...stirring in an egg is good too.....

#119953 - 01/14/08 12:05 AM Re: Top Ramen thread [Re: oceanside]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I agree with Mdinana, Blast, and TheMalamuteKid.

Ramen is good with other ingredients added.

I don't have any Ramen for Bug Out, but I have cases of it stocked for a Bug In situation. A can of soup can feed you for a day if you add Ramen and skip the seasoning packet, and as mentioned previously if you add some protein to it in the form of squirrel or another trapped or hunted source it'll help you go farther. Granted, that type of meal is definitely not going to give you the recommended dailies, and ramen alone isn't the best meal, but it will ward off hunger and give you some energy.

#119960 - 01/14/08 12:40 AM Re: Top Ramen thread [Re: Nicodemus]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I lived on Chinese noodles and sardines for long stretches of time. Toss in a multi-vitamin and you can go a long time on just that. It is a little light on roughage so while your shopping you might want to get a large bottle of generic Metamucil, psyllium fiber, to keep everything working smoothly.

Another limited diet I have used is black bean and rice. Much more balanced nutritionally and it included enough bulk to keep everything moving. But add a large bag of onions, a large bottle of Tabasco to add some variety and a bottle of multi-vitamins to help make up any deficiencies.

#119964 - 01/14/08 01:14 AM Re: Top Ramen thread [Re: Art_in_FL]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Any kind of Ramen noodles are awesome; they're even better if you add chopped veggies and meat. What I usually do is chop up some green onions, some celery, then toss in some leftover chicken from the night before (right after the packet and veggies are mixed). Then I let it sit for a few minutes. Serve on top of some lettuce (or a bagged salad mix if you prefer), sprinkle on some pepper or your favorite seasoning, and you can feed two people easy.

#119967 - 01/14/08 01:45 AM Re: Top Ramen thread [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i would look around for another brand....the real
Ramen noodles were invented in Japan by a man who saw people
wait in line a long time at noodle shops and came up with this as a cheap and
nutritious meal..i would look for a brand made in Korea.
i had them over there and they were much better than Top.
i just looked in my favorites list--try asianfoodgrocer.com

Edited by CANOEDOGS (01/14/08 03:09 AM)

#119975 - 01/14/08 02:42 AM Re: Top Ramen thread [Re: CANOEDOGS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, what we call "Ramen", either Top/Nissin or Maruchan, in this part of the world would probably be called "defective" in Japan. But it isn't a bad start to soup or a casserole for one, and it can be used a stretcher. The noodles alone can be used with a cheese, lentil or tomato based sauce, among other options; the flavor packets can find their way into everything.

I make no secret that I prefer the seasoning packets to any kind of bullion cube- easier to store, and a wider variety of flavors. My only concern is that many of them have at least some MSG, which makes me thirstier than just salt would, I can't comment on anyone else's tongue.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.