Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#113834 - 11/27/07 08:21 PM Too much redundancy between kits?
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
At age 33, I have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder. That really explains a lot actually...

Anyway, I have trouble focusing on things that need to be done...get distracted often and sometimes I have sequencing problems too. This seems to happen more in stressful situations. I've learned that making lists and packing my gear for the next day of work the night before help. I've been working to duplicate gear in as many EDC bags as possible. I'm working on a ditch bag to ride in the Spec Ops THE Pack that my laptop gets carried in. I carry a Max Pygmy Falcon II most days and have mostly EDC and some emergency gear in there...the function depends on the day. Sometimes it's activities to keep the kids busy at long doctor's appointments, sometimes it doubles as a diaper bag, sometimes it's only my gear.

Then I also have a Max Thermite that holds the Spec Ops mini organizers that ride in my cargo pockets as well as my cell phone, minimal wallet and PDA or iPod. That's for errand running when I'm not carrying a bigger bag, and wearing shorts or sweats.

Next is the BOB I haven't yet started building into another Spec Ops THE Pack. I want to put a ditch bag in that one too.

And of course the ditch bags for each family member that I'm working on to carry in the family car at all times.

I've thought about just switching things like the Spec Ops mini organizers into whatever bag I'm carrying, but sometimes they take up more room than I'd like and some items are in other kits and not the one I'm carrying.

I'm trying to simplify things for myself but still having the gear that I want quickly and preferably just by grabbing whatever bag I'm taking that day. I also think of emergency or bug out situations where my mind, although pretty good at threat assessment and prioritizing (although those focus problems do happen), I want to be able to grab and go.

It is not practical (for many reasons) to duplicate my cell phone or PDA, but I'm wondering how I can simplify my approach, still get the gear I want in the bag I want, and not spend a fortune (love to have a Wave or Charge in every bag, but that gets costly! Not to mention RSKs in every kit...)

Maybe I need to rethink my whole strategy...right now I'm working on organized gear and supplies for bugging in, a full BOB with items for the whole family (a "master BOB" if you will), EDC bags with ditch bag components (or whole ditch bags inside), ditch bag for each family member in the family car and BOBs for each family member stored near an exit. Starting to get some things stored at work as well.

I guess my thinking is that I want to be covered as many ways as possible, in case I can't get to this gear or that gear

I've tried to develop a system for myself that incorporates elements of Schwert's Concentric Rings approach, Star Trek "triple redundancy" thinking and things to help me remember things (based on my strategies to minimize ADD interference).

Ideas for keeping things simple, yet easy to grab while not using much concentration?

#113836 - 11/27/07 08:24 PM Re: Too much redundancy between kits? [Re: Ors]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I can't afford to duplicate much of my gear...when I do it's for a reason.

What I do is modularize what's in my pack by using containers and stuff sacks so I can pack, repack, or refit a bag in seconds for any given task. There are very few loose items in or on my pack.

You could easily make lists for each one and/or label each one by theme like I do.

#113846 - 11/27/07 09:48 PM Re: Too much redundancy between kits? [Re: Ors]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I had this problem
What I ended up doing, especially for the bigger more expensive items was to make a list of what to do and what to grab first in case I need to get my family out of the house in a hurry. And making it a point to follow it. For example, I place all my everyday carry items in the same place(bedside drawer) every single time I take them off. This includes my folder, sure-fire, cell phone, Multi-tool etc. When something goes wrong the first stop is that drawer, so I just eliminated the need to pack all that extra stuff in my BOB because I know I have it now. I would love to have a spare 200 dollar sure-fire flashlight in every BOB but Its just not economical. By following the same routine I ensure that when I leave I have all I need. I have other stops through the house where things are stored, Pantry for stored food and water, gun cabinet etc. When I arrive in my garage I have a shelf specifically for my Bug out items that I use regularly but always store in the same place in case of an emergency, such as a chain saw, two burner stove and lantern, tent etc, as well as camp fuel and gasoline. I would like to have most of these items in duplicate, but I can't afford it just yet. I have purchased all the things I need, they just tend to not be all in one place. By storing the items that I need in the same place all the time, be it a drawer or shelf, and sticking to my plan. I believe I am doing the best with what I have. As a general rule I always duplicate the items which are most important, and I always store as much as possible in my 4x4 so I always have something (rats, water,tarps etc) I don't think I am right or wrong, per say. This is just How "I" get around the problem of being too redundant. When I need out in a hurry, I will have all I need and I am working within my means. At the end of the day I guess that is all that one can do. Besides that, Always, Always have a plan B… and C

#113870 - 11/28/07 01:37 AM Re: Too much redundancy between kits? [Re: Taurus]
jay_imok Offline
Stranger

makes perfect sense to me

#113872 - 11/28/07 02:07 AM Re: Too much redundancy between kits? [Re: jay_imok]
xavier01 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Phx, AZ
I used to toy around with cluttered and bulging pockets. Removing everything and then adding it on a daily basis became a problem.

I now carry a small waist pack. I don't like carrying it but it helps me with this kind of problem. When I get home, I remove my pack, remove my cell phone from it and place the pack in it's assigned place. No matter what equipment I may need for whatever event, it always starts with my waist pack.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 537 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.