Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112936 - 11/19/07 11:12 AM Clear Plastic Sheet
TQS Offline

Loc: Humboldt County, CA
The most versatile and durable clear plastic sheet to be used for solar still, expedient shelter, rain water catch, and anything else that might benefit from a clear plastic sheet. Does anyone out there have any spec preferences worth sharing, such as kind of plastic, thickness, opaqueness, size, etc. I too am a stickler for detail, and not just any sheet will do. Also, some uses for same sheet that one does not typically think of...
This may seem like overkill, but any helpful feedback is most appreciated.

#112941 - 11/19/07 12:23 PM Re: Clear Plastic Sheet [Re: TQS]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
One related item that I've recently considered (more in lieu of the traditional blue tarp than as a versatile solar still, etc.) is DuPont Tyvek housewrap.

For its thickness (and therefore weight) it seems about as puncture/tear resistant as anything I've seen, weighing merely 2.7 oz/yd^2. DuPont's website also lists a commercial version, which apparently is somewhat thicker and even more durable than the residential version. Both are available in 10 foot widths.

Obviously both versions are highly effective against air and water penetration, so it seems like a good choice as an emergency rain/wind shelter or a ground cover, other than it seems to generate a lot of noise when it flaps around in the wind. Off hand, I can't think of why it couldn't be used as a solar still, or as a rain water catch, but so again could the heavy weight garbage can liners everyone seems to have packed away.

I would expect that it would be relatively easy to procure the end of a roll from a friendly contractor and give it a try.

Additional specifications

Jim

#112943 - 11/19/07 02:00 PM Re: Clear Plastic Sheet [Re: TQS]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Check out these bags: http://www.survivalandoutdoorsafety.com/plasticbags2.htm

But I think it's silly to mail order dedicated plastic bags that will become brittle over time and that you are really not likely to need (especially here in the boreal forest).

Frankie

#112946 - 11/19/07 02:12 PM Re: Clear Plastic Sheet [Re: Paragon]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Paragon suggested tyvek, if all you are going to do is build a shelter with it the tyvek is a good choice it is about like the visquene I suggest except it is white and relatively expensive when compared to standard plastics. If it is to be used to build a solar still black or clear is best. White plastic bags or tyvek will reflect the sunlight away reducing a still's effectiveness. If it is going in a kit where room and weight is a major concern a thin plastic like a painter disposable drop sheet or large plastic trash bags. Both will do just about anything you want it to but they are thin and can rip but a small roll have a lot on it. When you use it as a solar still put a leaf or something between your center weight and the plastic to keep it from melting through. If weight and space are not an issue use clear visquene.

#112948 - 11/19/07 02:39 PM Re: Clear Plastic Sheet [Re: raydarkhorse]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Tyvek, unless coated, is air permeable so wouldn't make a solar
still. Also not the best for a waterproof shelter unless the
pitch is steep.

#112953 - 11/19/07 03:46 PM Re: Clear Plastic Sheet [Re: raydarkhorse]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
I'm with RDH - I think Tyvek would make a good shelter, but as a still, not so much. I am curious, though, if anyone has tried this as a still:

Line the still bottom with a black plastic bag, put your materials on that, setup your drip container and then put a clear plastic bag on top. That seems like the best possible scenario and in theory, you could just pee on the black bag or put salt water directly on it and it would keep all that moisture from falling back into the sand or ground.

#112959 - 11/19/07 04:44 PM Re: Clear Plastic Sheet [Re: massacre]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
From everything I've read solar stills aren't worth the trouble to build them. I've read that using transpiration bags (clear bags enclosing a tree/bush branch) are more productive relative to the energy consumed in implementing them.

I haven't tried either yet myself, but always figured I'd use the clear 55 gallon trash bags sold by my local Home Depot. We use them as trash bags (go figure!) in our barn and they are reasonably tough, though I could see them getting torn while placing them over a pointy large branch.

I figure they could also act as a shelter (a see-thru one at that) if needed too.

Ken K.

#112961 - 11/19/07 05:22 PM Re: Clear Plastic Sheet [Re: KenK]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Solar still are worth learning to make. Transpiration bags are better but if there are no trees or bushes then what ya gonna do. solar tills can be used in areas and during seasons where transpiration bags are not feasable or you don't have enough plastic to make one. As far as not being worth making I have used them in training and if you make more than one they can and have produced enough water to sustain life, consider which is better a small amount of water or none.
Edit to my original
Be careful what plants you use with the transpiration bags on some plants can alter the taste and the can transfer various toxins that can affect you in bad was, the same can be true of solar still if plant matter is used.

Edited by raydarkhorse (11/19/07 05:30 PM)

#112966 - 11/19/07 05:52 PM Re: Clear Plastic Sheet [Re: raydarkhorse]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I have never seen where solar stills are anything but a waste of energy and sweat in the desert, but I think they could be feasible in more temperate climates.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, I think they could be a viable source of water where/when there is no CLEAN water to be had, and rainfall is not forthcoming.

I'll have to try it sometime and see. I'll put it on my list. (we need a Rolly Eyes smilie)

Sue

#112972 - 11/19/07 07:30 PM Re: Clear Plastic Sheet [Re: Susan]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

On a related note, plastics of all types (Tyvek, blue tarps, roll sheeting) are all cheap and available before a major event. Good to stock up.

Teacher

(Like water or batteries, plastic is cheap and easy to get -- now.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.