Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106626 - 09/22/07 04:23 AM Modified DR PSP's
CBTENGR Offline

I just purchased three more PSP's, one for each car and one for training, sorry... teaching the DW. I have tried adding several different items and now this is what I carry in addition to everything already in the kit...

mini Bic lighter
(6) Micropur tabs
(2) Gerber bags

I would not consider adding any additional knives/tools as I already EDC a folding knife and a mini multi tool on a key chain (as well as other things that I will post later as soon as I can get the digital camera to work). I would love to know if anyone else has been able to add extra stuff to this great kit.

#106633 - 09/22/07 05:57 AM Re: Modified DR PSP's [Re: CBTENGR]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
1 x ziplock poly bag.
1 x B.C.B wire saw.
1 x mini-bic lighter.
6 x lifeboat matches.
12 x No 6 barbed hooks.
6 x assorted split shot.
30ft 12lb fishing line.
4 x extra tinder-quick tabs.

The additions are in case it goes beyond 3 days.

I have actually taken mine out of its ziplock bag and put it into a tobbacco tin. Same footprint. Better durability.

Occasional users would do better to leave it in the bag. So you can see what is what.

#106638 - 09/22/07 08:20 AM Re: Modified DR PSP's [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I've added:

- 2 extra Tinder-Quicks
- Photon II microlight
- 5 Coghlan's wind/waterproof matches+striker
- Quart Ziplock
- 10 Aquaclear water purification tabs

As with you, I didn't add a knife, because I EDC a Leatherman Wave and a Benchmade Griptillian.

I als carry a FAK seperately, so no FA-supplies in the PSP.

#106650 - 09/22/07 02:55 PM Re: Modified DR PSP's [Re: JIM]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
- 1 K.I.S.S. partially serrated knife

- 1 mini magnesium/ferro "sparky" fire starter (http://www.wisementrading.com/firestarters/magnesium.htm)

- 1 imitation photon light (which I will replace with a photon freedom as I upgrade my EDC to the latest one.

- 2 spare CR2016 batteries

- 2 gerber bags

Because of the knife, the above barely fits (I don't even have room for MP-1 tabs!) and is an ordeal to repack if I remove everything, so I may eventually repack the kit in a slightly larger container.
I keep the PSP in a small nylon pouch(which used to hold a CPR mask) with a fire kit, mylar blanket, bandanna, MP-1 chlorine dioxide tabs, and a 9 hour candle.

I also edc a photon, ferro rod, at least one knife, etc, but I like my kits to be completely self sufficient(i.e., the wake up naked in the woods with nothing but the kit scenario). Normally my PSK is very redundant with what I'm carrying in the woods, or in my car, or my backpack anyway.

Edited by urbansurvivalist (09/22/07 03:01 PM)

#106656 - 09/22/07 03:58 PM Re: Modified DR PSP's [Re: urbansurvivalist]
Malcontent Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas
The only thing I have in mine that is not already mentioned, I added 4 small 4" cable ties

Edited by Malcontent (09/22/07 03:58 PM)

#106658 - 09/22/07 04:19 PM Re: Modified DR PSP's [Re: urbansurvivalist]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
Quote:
Because of the knife, the above barely fits (I don't even have room for MP-1 tabs!) and is an ordeal to repack if I remove everything, so I may eventually repack the kit in a slightly larger container.

Maybe you could use some paracord to connect your K.I.S.S. to the PSP? That would clear some room for MP1's , a ziplock and some matches..

#106665 - 09/22/07 05:55 PM Re: Modified DR PSP's [Re: CBTENGR]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: CBTENGR
I just purchased three more PSP's, one for each car and one for training, sorry... teaching the DW. I have tried adding several different items and now this is what I carry in addition to everything already in the kit...

mini Bic lighter
(6) Micropur tabs
(2) Gerber bags

I would not consider adding any additional knives/tools as I already EDC a folding knife and a mini multi tool on a key chain (as well as other things that I will post later as soon as I can get the digital camera to work). I would love to know if anyone else has been able to add extra stuff to this great kit.

Those are pretty good additions and efficient use of space.
You added more fire ability, water purification (Doug recommends adding these) and 2 water carriers. Good job.
I think you are OK without adding a knife since you EDC two knives already.

#106674 - 09/22/07 09:20 PM Re: Modified DR PSP's [Re: billym]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I've added:
-6 micropur tabs
-4x3" guaze pad
-2 bandaids (switching to knunkle bandaids)
-2 triple antibiotic ointment
-2 alcohol prep pads (use for tinder for fire as well)

Need the medical stuff as i use this as my edc psk, even to the office. It's on my person, or at least in my jacket. So acts as my on person fak as well.

And have a gerber stl 2.0 on order and i think i can get it in there. I like to have 'everything in one package' (similar to urbansurvivalist).

I also have a nagene 1 litre colaspable canteen (on order), and put all that in a aloksak bag (7x4.5).

I might add more to it, and if i do, then I will see if i can fit:
-mini bic
-5 twenties (usd)
-matches (can't get REI to international ship their famous matches - need to find similar)
-add a space pen cartridge (and possibly remove pencil - or keep it for additional tinder)

Have to wait for next order to see if everything will fit!!!

Have a good one,
Kris

#106689 - 09/23/07 01:58 AM Re: Modified DR PSP's [Re: CBTENGR]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'd say you were good. It would be cheating if you had to take it out of the pouch it came in. :P

To go WITH it, at a minimum something like the AMK Pocket Medic with a few more 2x2s and some immodium tucked in. Same size, costs about 10 bucks. A PSK without a PMK is like liquid hydrogen without liquid oxygen- sure, you're still impressive, but with the other half of the equation you're flying.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#106692 - 09/23/07 02:32 AM Re: Modified DR PSP's [Re: Kris]
CBTENGR Offline

I had a couple REI matches in the PSP, but when I realized that I probably didn't have enough and tried to add more there wasn't enough room. With the amount of space 10 matches took up I could add the mini Bic.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.