Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105834 - 09/16/07 12:10 PM Container for vehicle BOB recommendations?
atfan Offline
Stranger

Hi :

I have assembled some gear(pics later) for my both my wife’s and my vehicle to serve as a BOBs or “Bug in Bags” to provide basic supplies and food for approx 3 days .We live in the mountains and winter ice storms have occasionally closed the road which is the only way to access our home. My question concerns what container to store the supplies in…currently -I’m using two leftover from the kids LL Bean bookpacks, which are OK, but not entirely satisfactory- food items get crushed and local bears have been known to enter vehicles due to food odors. I’m considering using 5 gallon plastic buckets with “gamma seal “ lids from US plastics – advantages:

a. waterproof
b. critter proof
c. usable as a water carrier or ,if necessary ,a toilet
d. useful as a seat, say at a shelter

Disadvantages:

a. Difficult to carry
b. If liquid containers break inside ,all contents will be wet
c. No way to carry individual items if bucket used for other purposes

Anyone have any thoughts on vehicle BOB containers? Rubbermaids,duffles,backpacks,buckets?

Thanx!

#105840 - 09/16/07 02:05 PM Re: Container for vehicle BOB recommendations? [Re: atfan]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
If you carry a trowel or shovel, you'll never need to use it as a toilet.

That being said, just throw a bag in with it. I saw, at Dick's sporting goods, a small nylon backpack (very light construction), that was crammed into a stuff sack about the size of a baseball.

#105842 - 09/16/07 02:28 PM Re: Container for vehicle BOB recommendations? [Re: MDinana]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

What about using Ice chests, will help with the thermal problem and are tight enought to maybe get past the Bear problem and have a handle to carry it with.

#105843 - 09/16/07 02:36 PM Re: Container for vehicle BOB recommendations? [Re: atfan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Five gal buckets and ice chests both have some advantages, but don't consider them to be able to contain odors, or be bear proof. A black bear can open one easily, so just think what a brown could do. In some locations (Yosemite and Sequoia NPs come immediately to mind), the bears there are well known for being able to read words like Coleman and Igloo on ice chests, and know that a treat is inside. They will also rip the door off of your car to get at the ice chest. If you really worry about odors, I would vacuum seal all of my food, and never ever eat in my vehicle, or go thru a drive-thru at McD's, for sure you will drop a fry on the floor, and its odor will remain for a long time...

#105848 - 09/16/07 02:53 PM Re: Container for vehicle BOB recommendations? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Concerning food odour in a car attracting bears check out this recent newspaper link from Northern Ontario.

http://www.elliotlakestandard.ca/webapp/...mp;classif=News

The car contained fast-food wrappers which attracted the bear.

Hope this works, first time I have tried to post a link.

Mike

#105849 - 09/16/07 02:56 PM Re: Container for vehicle BOB recommendations? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
How about something like the Flash UL pack from REI. Basically it's a stuff sack with a few pockets and back pack straps. Should collapse small enough so as to not crowd out other survival gear in the bucket, but doesn't look completely worthless as a backpack either. I bought one for my cousin a while back and he seems to like it. Uses it as a sleeping bag stuff sack / day pack when he goes backpacking.

#105851 - 09/16/07 03:06 PM Re: Container for vehicle BOB recommendations? [Re: SwampDonkey]
gryps Offline
Aspiring Ant

Loc: New Rochelle,NY, USA
Hmm, sounds like it's time to start carrying that pet skunk around in the car...

That story was both odd and unsettling. At least no one was injured.

#105860 - 09/16/07 04:21 PM Re: Container for vehicle BOB recommendations? [Re: gryps]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Pooh-Bah:
maybe seal the top with silicone, and camo the buckets and Ice chests? wink

Edited by big_al (09/16/07 04:22 PM)

#105936 - 09/17/07 02:57 AM Re: Container for vehicle BOB recommendations? [Re: big_al]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Maybe. It's your car...

#105944 - 09/17/07 03:18 AM Re: Container for vehicle BOB recommendations? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DeathtoToasters Offline

Loc: Southern California
Another idea is to get a backpack that has a hydration bladder included with it. You could get one that holds 100oz of water, which is plenty for a single person in the car.

Then have the other stuff packing in the other sections of the backpack.

"All Hail the Power of Bauer"

"Only the Paranoid Survive" - Andy Grove

"Why is it called the American Dream? Because you have to be ASLEEP to believe it!" - George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.