Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#105491 - 09/13/07 03:16 AM Do you really need a phone card?
GoatMan Offline

For use in emergency situations, even to disastrous levels, do you really need a phone card in an Disaster Preparedness Kit (72+ Hour Kit, BOB, etc)?

Assuming pay phones work or regular lines, where you need something to get long distance on, can't you still:

1. Call Collect? Is there any reason that wouldn't work when a phone card would?
2. How about a Credit Card based call?

Also a stupid question: I honestly don't even know if you can use one of the prepaid phone cards on a pay phone. Can you dial the toll free numbers on them without inserting physical money? You get the idea of my stupid question here.

Thanks for the feedback.
GoatMan

#105495 - 09/13/07 03:50 AM Re: Do you really need a phone card? [Re: GoatMan]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
I have an at&t phone card prepaid that works on any phone regular or pay phone and has not expired yet.

Ymmv

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#105503 - 09/13/07 11:52 AM Re: Do you really need a phone card? [Re: leemann]
infrared Offline

I've got one from Target,I figure cell phone coverage isn't guaranteed and a collect call may not work if the person isn't home to accept it but with a phone card you can still leave a message on an answering machine/voice mail.

#105509 - 09/13/07 12:28 PM Re: Do you really need a phone card? [Re: GoatMan]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
In the pay phone your card will be reduced by more money because there is a fee for using the pay phone. I don't think you have to insert physical money. The money is in the card.

#105513 - 09/13/07 01:30 PM Re: Do you really need a phone card? [Re: jshannon]
GoatMan Offline

It's good to hear a report that a prepaid phone card will work on a pay phone without coinage. I'd appreciate another confirmation of that fact to be sure.

Infrared: I didn't consider the part about leaving a voice mail message. That is a limitation of the Collect Call idea.

We do have a prepaid phone card that we use for all of our long distance calling. I should simply add the 800 number and card number to my wallet size emergency info reference sheet. That way it will be available for me in time of need, regardless if it is an emergency.

Thanks - GoatMan

#105543 - 09/13/07 04:56 PM Re: Do you really need a phone card? [Re: GoatMan]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I've used phone cards from payphones. Years ago, I found occasionaly payphones that were privately owned that wouldn't let me make 800 calls from them - the owner wouldn't have been paid. I have some hazy recollection that new laws mandate a payment to the owner of the phone, so this may no longer be a problem.

I think all payphones in the US give a dial tone when you pick up the handset - this is so you can dial 911 without having coins. You can dial 800 numbers without coins, assuming the owner of the phone allows it or the law has changed to require it; see the preceding paragraph.

How much does a call cost, where are you calling, how long will you talk? Do you have that many coins? And how long will they last in the post-disaster world (think New Orleans)?

My credit card is linked to ATT, so I have credit calls from phones as long as my credit card works. :-> I travel often to the French West Indies, so I make calls back to the US using ATT's French toll-free number without having the phone I'm calling from billed, although it's not toll-free to me - I pay for the international call. I get an English-speaking operator if I need assistance making the call or getting a number.

I recommend a non-expiring card because you won't always have a pocketful of quarters when disaster strikes. Since I have an ATT-connected credit card, I'm good to go.

An acquaintance of mine lived in Manhattan when they had a major power-outtage years ago. You couldn't get a dial tone on your cell phone. People were using their cell phones to light up the interiors of office buildings as they looked for payphones, which still worked.

#105546 - 09/13/07 05:08 PM Re: Do you really need a phone card? [Re: philip]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: philip
Years ago, I found occasionaly payphones that were privately owned that wouldn't let me make 800 calls from them - the owner wouldn't have been paid. I have some hazy recollection that new laws mandate a payment to the owner of the phone, so this may no longer be a problem.

I think all payphones in the US give a dial tone when you pick up the handset - this is so you can dial 911 without having coins. You can dial 800 numbers without coins, assuming the owner of the phone allows it or the law has changed to require it; see the preceding paragraph.

From http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/PhoneWise.html:
Quote:
Be Phone Wise: Know the Rules
  • You have the right to place calls from a public telephone through the long distance company of your choice by dialing an access code (“dialing around” the OSP). “Dialing around” may mean dialing an 800 number, a local number that begins with 950, or a seven digit access number known as a 101-XXXX or 10 10 XXX number. Federal law prohibits blocking 800, 950, or 101-XXXX/10 10 XXX access numbers to long distance companies from public telephones.
  • OSPs must connect an emergency call to the appropriate emergency service immediately and at no charge.

#105629 - 09/14/07 06:10 AM Re: Do you really need a phone card? [Re: GoatMan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've done it scores of times. I loath cell phones, and I rarely carry change. And I'm often places where cell phones just don't work.

The big reason I like them in emergency kits is that they sometimes will work even when "all circuits are busy".

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#105763 - 09/15/07 05:44 PM Re: Do you really need a phone card? [Re: ironraven]
hamilton Offline
Journeyman

Before I got a cell phone, I always carried one in my wallet. It worked on every pay phone I used it on, plus I used it when staying with friends so as not to kill their phone bill on long distance calls. It wasn't really an emergency thing, just convenient.

#105778 - 09/15/07 11:36 PM Re: Do you really need a phone card? [Re: GoatMan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We carry a phone card, "just in case," but I suspect that in a real "emergency," phone service will either be non-existent, or the circuits will be so overloaded that your chances of actually being able to make a call will be next to nill...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 498 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
34 minutes 17 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.