The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#104090 - 08/30/07 08:41 PM GoLite Cave 2 and other shelter for BOB
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Hi All!

In my BOB I have a GoLite Cave 2 Shelter (It's rally kinda like a tarp). It packs down to a pretty small size. I am looking for a tarp to go along with the Cave for possible use as ground cloth etc.

Should it be made out of the same lightweight material?

I have been looking at Oware tarps a little bit but I am not sure what i need. I DO need another tarp to supplement the Lair in my BOB right??

Edited by Rusty (08/30/07 08:47 PM)

#104092 - 08/30/07 09:15 PM Re: GoLite Cave 2 and other shelter for BOB [Re: Rusty]
onetim Offline
Stranger

For a ground cloth it's tough to beat plastic. A sheet of plastic 2 mil thick is very lightweight. You could carry a small roll of the stuff in your BOB and use it for multiple purposes. 4 mil plastic is very durable but much heavier. Another possibility is a sheet of Tyvek building wrap.

In addition to making an excellent ground cloth, a plastic sheet and some cord can be rigged in an unlimited number of configurations. In fact, the designer of your GoLite Cave, Ray Jardine, used plastic sheeting to make tarps long before he began using nylon.

I've used 2 mil plastic sheeting for a ground cloth on multi-week backpacking trips and it lasts just fine. Just remember to keep it from protruding outside of the tarp's footprint or it will make a great rain collector/bathtub.

#104104 - 08/30/07 11:03 PM Re: GoLite Cave 2 and other shelter for BOB [Re: onetim]
Rusty Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: College Station, Texas
Thanks for the help!!!

So you figure just get a GoLite tarp??

#104114 - 08/31/07 01:02 AM Re: GoLite Cave 2 and other shelter for BOB [Re: Rusty]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
The silicone nylon is very light and stronger than the plastic
but is slippery as a ground sheet, tyvek isn't so slippery but
isn't as waterproof.

So there are some trade-offs with each one.

A full length closed cell pad with no seperate ground sheet has worked for me. I put boots
and rocks around the perimeter to keep from rolling off.

Some folks like bivy sacks in stead of just a ground cloth to
get bug and wind protection too.

#105492 - 09/13/07 03:16 AM Re: GoLite Cave 2 and other shelter for BOB [Re: clearwater]
HighAltitude Offline
Stranger

I have spent several weeks at a time out backpacking with a sil nylon tarp and a basic plastic sheet for a ground cloth.

2mil will last long enough for most situations.

#105520 - 09/13/07 02:06 PM Re: GoLite Cave 2 and other shelter for BOB [Re: HighAltitude]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
On a two week hike in the fjords of British Columbia, we made camp one night after transitioning a 7,300 foot peak. We opted for a granite table instead of sleeping in the snow, as we were still above the trees. Big mistake. A storm blew in on us that night, and we had only our tent flys up, not that it would've mattered much. We had enough standing water on that table flowing around and through our site that we all got soaked through our down bags, making sleep a real challenge. I ended up with two of our party laying on top of me most of the night to keep them from getting soaked through, the idea being that one of us was going to have to suffer anyways, and since I was the biggest... even if we'd have put up the tents, the amount of water would'v permeated them enough it wouldn't have made much difference in the end.

We should've kept hiking another hour or so to get to the trees, even if it meant hiking after nightfall. It was raining down below just as bad, but at least there it was draining away or perking off.

I was cold all the next day, and slept like a rock the next night.

#105536 - 09/13/07 04:15 PM Re: GoLite Cave 2 and other shelter for BOB [Re: benjammin]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I'd recommend plastic sheet or even tyvek for the groundcloth over silnylon for a couple of reasons. For one, the waterproofing on silnylon isn't that durable. It's fine for keeping rain off, but lay it on top of standing water any pressure on it from kneeling or sitting will cause it to soak through. Plus your groundcloth will get beat up, no reason to spend $50+ for a piece of silnylon when a sheet of free plastic will do.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 534 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.