Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#102936 - 08/19/07 12:57 AM A word about your FAK
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Here is a quick idea for your first aid kit that I never thought about till today after I managed to cut my thumb to the bone. I have a new first aid kit, and was digging through it for bandaids (after I cut myself) bleeding all in the kit. My biggest problem was when I got to the bandaids and pulled one out and I got the whole roll. then had touble pulling the bandaids apart without having my thumb to use. So here is my suggestion go thru your kit and pull all those bandaids (and anything else that needs it) apart before you have to use them one handed, and try using the contents with only one hand.

#102937 - 08/19/07 01:17 AM Re: A word about your FAK [Re: raydarkhorse]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I did 'bout the same thing last weekend, and once again cussed the bandaid (generic term) makers. In the old days they used to have a little red string sticking out to pull, kind of like a ripcord, to tear the paper cover open. Then they went to leaving two little bitty flaps of paper at one end, split those papers and pull the cover open. Now, at least with the brand(s) we have, they just glue the paper cover together, and you have to figure out how to get it open, while bleeding like a stuck pig. I can not think of a way to set a bandaid up for easy opening without compromising the sterile nature of the thing (not that being sterile is all that important until after you at least get the flow down a bit). Anyone have any ideas???

#102944 - 08/19/07 02:51 AM Re: A word about your FAK [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Wash it with soap and water while it bleeds.
Stop the bleeding with pressure.
Get someone who has decent fingernails to open the bandage package and apply it for you.
If you're alone, just wrap it with a handkerchief and forget the bandaid until the bleeding stops.
If the bleeding doesn't stop, go to Urgent Care or some other kind of doctor place.

When was your last tetanus shot?

Sue

#102961 - 08/19/07 11:22 AM Re: A word about your FAK [Re: Susan]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
You have cut your thumb to the bone and you're reaching for a band-aid?? It would fall right off...

I would do what Susan said..

#102968 - 08/19/07 01:40 PM Re: A word about your FAK [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
All good ideas. Last Tetanus was about nine months ago. I ALWAYS keep mine current, since my lifestyle includes the use of a lot of bandaids. I also love Skin Shield, the liquid bandage stuff. Stings a bit when you put it on, but it works great on those smaller owies...

#103022 - 08/19/07 10:38 PM Re: A word about your FAK [Re: JIM]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

I had my thumb wrapped in my t-shirt and the bleeding was slowing down. bandaids were the best option for the time and place, and you would be amazed at what you can get bandaids to stick to if applied properly and in a large enough quanity

#103028 - 08/19/07 11:40 PM Re: A word about your FAK [Re: raydarkhorse]
red Offline

Don't reach for bandaids unless it's a minor cut or scrape.

Reach for 1.Non-stick Telfa Pad, apply 2.Coban, wrap it snug (end of finger should capillary refill)3.Keep the pressure on.

Once hemostasis is achieved, goto a clinic to see about stitches, debridement, prophylactic antibiotics, etc.

I'll never forget one guy who came in with his bone visible and was wondering if he should go see one of the docs in our clinic...!?

#103081 - 08/20/07 05:28 PM Re: A word about your FAK [Re: raydarkhorse]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Thanks for the medical advice the kit I was using was at work and not as well stocked as my personal kit, but what I was trying to do was get it across to people that they should go thru their FAK and set it up ( as well as they can) so they can go thru it one handed , or while they are bleeding and be able to remove things without pulling packets apart. Most of us buy our kits but how many actually remove the items and learn where everything is or set it up for ease of use?

#103096 - 08/20/07 08:25 PM Re: A word about your FAK [Re: raydarkhorse]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
However you do have to find a balance between the amound of stuff in your FAK and the way that it is organised.

With a altoids-type FAK there isn't much room so you stuff the tin, however if you actually need something, you'll have to dump all of the contents out. But then again, there isn't much life-saving FAK-gear in a altoids-tin (exept for aspirin maybe)

If you have a larger FAK, organisation( ala AMK easy-care system) is possible and a advantage. I devide my FAK into 'trauma' and 'medications/small wound care'.

I believe there was a thread on organisation/stuffability, but then about PSK's

#103109 - 08/20/07 09:02 PM Re: A word about your FAK [Re: JIM]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I bought two small kits from AMK, one is the Wound Closure Kit and the other is the Ultralight & Watertight .3 which handle wounds big and small. I added a set of Sliver Grippers to the Ultralight .3 and have used them. Hopefully I'll never use the Wound Closure Kit.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 535 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.