Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#101365 - 08/02/07 03:21 PM Bridge collapse -- some first day observations
teacher Offline
Old Hand

At 6:05 yesterday a major freeway bridge collapsed in Downtown Minneapolis, mn. I have been following the story and here are a few observations:

1. cell service went out or was weak for at least 4 hours.
2. CNN got at least some of the basic info wrong, which is weird as they were getting their feed from a local affiliate
3. the governor got at least some of the factual information wrong.
4. Crowd controll quickly became an issue with thousands of gawkers watching from adjacent bridges, roads and the riverbanks.
5. My BOB got a real-life test ( see other post)
6. Rescue operations ceased late last night for the safety of the rescuers.
7. The state wide Red Cross office was only one block from the bridge and was used for triage

More on this event later,

Teacher

Edited by teacher (08/02/07 03:24 PM)

#101382 - 08/02/07 05:14 PM Re: Bridge collapse -- some first day observations [Re: teacher]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

1. My bet was cell phone service wasn't down, just overloaded like what happens all over any time there is any disaster and people start calling people they know to see if they are ok.
2. CNN is one of the absolute worst news reporters there is, they seem to not be able to ever get facts right.
3. Gevernment officials are usually just as bas as news because they wrre either briefed wrong or incompletley or want to put a political spin on things (blame Bush or whomever).
4. rubberneckers smile

Wasn't there a bridge in CA that fell last week or so?
We had an incident here a few years ago where some underground water drained and a section of highway sunk. from what I've gathered most of our nations highways and roads are well past their designed life and in major need or repair.

#101449 - 08/03/07 12:55 PM Re: Bridge collapse -- some first day observations [Re: Eugene]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I dont think you can fault only CNN here, not that I'm a huge fan. I'm sure all the news stations got a few facts jumbled. At first, there were 7 dead and 20 missing. Just yesterday we were hearing that there were 4 dead and 30 missing. Today it's 6 dead and 7-8 missing.

I never take anything as fact in a breaking news story until much later. Especially anything mainstream media or the gov tells us. They all seem to spin stories one way or another.

I saw the rubberneckers in a few photos. Thousands on a parallel bridge. You'd think the police would have cleared them out and sealed off the bridge from pedestrians.

I always use SMS texting during times when cell phone bandwidth is overloaded. Seems to get through OK.

Edited by el_diabl0 (08/03/07 12:56 PM)

#101463 - 08/03/07 03:29 PM Economic ramifications [Re: teacher]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I am wondering what the "lost" time would be calculated for the following:

a) The Railway that is no longer usable for the next week or two?

b) 1) The River that is no longer open for the passage of cargo-laden and empty barges that need to go up & downstream. 2) Those barges, loaded and unloaded that are trapped upstream of the bridge. 3) The towboats that are trapped upstream of the bridge (lost time, fuel being used for gensets/MDE's, crew wages, food, etc.)

c) The additional transportation costs for cargo carrying tractor trailer loads to move around the bridge sight.

d) The lock that is currently useless while the river remains closed (wages, debris clearance, etc).

e) The non-reimbursible costs to the everyday commuter who has to get from home to work by longer, slower routes.

f) The amount of costs to support the outside salvage crews that will have to be brought in and require support services (motels, restaurant, vehicle maintenance, etc)

I am sure that most of this info will never be collected and correlated as a final number.

#101468 - 08/03/07 03:58 PM Re: Economic ramifications [Re: wildman800]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
They are saying it could be 2 years until the bridge is rebuilt. Yes, it will be very expensive for the people/businesses there.

They are doing major sewer work right outside my workplace and they've closed off the road for a long period of time. The businesses here are having an awful time keeping things going.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 271 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.