Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#100863 - 07/26/07 05:25 PM US Mil. test results on commercial water products
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Test results of readily available water purification products.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#100865 - 07/26/07 05:55 PM Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water products [Re: Blast]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
Great post, good info - thanks, Blast.

Frank2135

#100877 - 07/26/07 07:37 PM Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water products [Re: Frank2135]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
Great information Blast.

I went throught the list and I feel that one thing should be mentioned. The MSR Sweetwater Purifier is a rip off.

Ok, take a look at what it claims...if you go to REI.com and check it out, in order to completely purifer the water, you pump it and then add the MSR Purifier solution to the water. Hmmmm...I wonder what the solution is that REI is selling for $10 for a 2 ounce bottle....IT'S BLEACH..holy crap I think to myself. Take a look at a large view of the bottle..it clearly lists the ingredients as Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) and other ingredients. They are getting 10 bucks for 2 0z of this stuff because the general public doesn't know the good ole chlorox will do it for way cheaper.

So technically...any of the water filters listed could be considered purifiers if they would just include a 2 oz bottle of bleach with each one. Good grief.

Incidentally, prior to PUR selling out to Katadyn, they did manufacture the GUIDE which did have a Iodine based filter that really did purify the water. Hence all the warnings that GUIDE replacement filters will not purify water. I have one and a couple of the filters that have never been opened. Sort of saving them for an emergency if you know what I mean. Was curious how long they might last unopened. Any guesses?

#100879 - 07/26/07 07:57 PM Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water products [Re: Hghvlocity]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I didn't see a guide to what the x's checks and triple checks mean..any help?

tro

#100882 - 07/26/07 08:15 PM Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ [Re: teacher]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: teacher
I didn't see a guide to what the x's checks and triple checks mean..any help?

tro

If you click on the check or "X" symbols, they will give you the following descriptions:

Quote:
Three checks means we expect the device to consistently provide adequate protection from microbial pathogen groups by achieving at least a 6-log bacteria, 4-log virus, 3-log Giardia cyst, or 3-log Cryptosporidium oocyst reduction. Three checks are based on independent testing following the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Guide Standard protocol under manufacturer-specified device operating conditions (e.g., production rate, capacity). For a more detailed explanation of the reduction ratings, click the Pathogen Reduction Ratings link on the left toolbar.

Quote:
One check means we expect the device to consistently provide adequate protection from specific pathogen groups by achieving at least a 6-log bacteria, 4-log virus, 3-log Giardia cyst, and 3-log Cryptosporidium oocyst reduction. There is a level of uncertainty in the effectiveness of the device because there is no device-specific testing data following the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Guide Standard protocol. One check is based either on the evaluation of general scientific knowledge of this treatment technology or on device-specific testing not following the USEPA Guide Standard. For a more detailed explanation of the reduction ratings, click the Pathogen Reduction Ratings link on the left toolbar.

Quote:
[X] Means we do not expect the device to consistently provide adequate protection from microbial pathogen groups. This is based on available data, lack of data, and/or general scientific knowledge of the treatment technology. A device containing an X requires additional treatment to minimize the risk of illness from waterborne pathogens. For a more detailed explanation of the reduction ratings, click the Pathogen Reduction Ratings link on the left toolbar.

#100885 - 07/26/07 09:39 PM Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
That's why it's so interesting that the Sweetwater get three check marks...it does require additional additional treatment in the form of some squirts from the bleach bottle.

#100887 - 07/26/07 09:44 PM Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water products [Re: Hghvlocity]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Hghvlocity
IT'S BLEACH..holy crap

That is interesting. I'd not seen that product to go along with the Sweetwater filter.

I have a filter, but I've switched to carrying the MSR Miox instead. The mixed chlorine dioxide solution the Miox creates provides better killing power than chlorine bleach AND I don't have to carry a bottle of nasty stuff (bleach) in my bag.

The Miox didn't get a very good rating for Cryptosporidium. They say the MSR Miox recommended procedure didn't really give the required reduction in Crypto after 4 hours (while the Micropur tablets did). I really wish MSR or anyone would publish independent lab data to support or dispute this. For right now, based on what I've read about the Miox and the chances of encountering crypto in water in the U.S., I don't think I'll have any problems with the Miox.

#100888 - 07/26/07 09:47 PM Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ [Re: Hghvlocity]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Hghvlocity
That's why it's so interesting that the Sweetwater get three check marks...it does require additional additional treatment in the form of some squirts from the bleach bottle.
Yes, you are correct that the top ratings apply to the SweetWater System (filter and purification solution), however a little further down the list shows the ratings for the MSR SweetWater Microfilter alone. It still works pretty well, even without the purification solution.

#100930 - 07/27/07 10:24 AM Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water produ [Re: JCWohlschlag]
simplesimon Offline

Talking of the selling of bleach at 10 dollars for 2oz: The special 'techwash' nikwax sell for washing proofed waterproofs is err... soap. Pure soap (available as 'soap flakes' in the UK) does the same job.
And tests found that waterproofs can be reproofed with ordinary garment conditioner which works as well as the best waterproofer and better than most.
Both sources are from Leeds University tests carried out for 'Trail' magazine.
simon

#100942 - 07/27/07 03:09 PM Re: US Mil. test results on commercial water products [Re: Blast]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
Blast,

Thanks for posting this! I had stumbled across the page several months ago and lost the link.

This was one of the most complete reviews of water treatment filters/purifiers around. It certainly helped when I was trying to find solutions for my BOB.

- Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, brandtb), 295 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.