The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98343 - 06/25/07 09:16 AM Question on small propane tank storage life
Judy_Hakala Offline
stranger

Loc: W Michigan
I have several of the small 1 pound propane tanks that are a few years old. I am wondering how long they can be kept. They have been stored in a climate-controlled area (no exposure to weather or temperature extremes).

#98351 - 06/25/07 04:20 PM Re: Question on small propane tank storage life [Re: Judy_Hakala]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Weigh them and you'll know if they are full and sealed or slowly leaking the propane away.

My experiences with the small bottle has been as Nighthiker has already stated.

#98354 - 06/25/07 05:14 PM Re: Question on small propane tank storage life [Re: wildman800]
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
The one thing to watch out for is rust, especially on the threads.

#98359 - 06/25/07 06:42 PM Re: Question on small propane tank storage life [Re: harrkev]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I have a few with some rust. Should I get rid of those? If so, where would I get rid of them?

#98370 - 06/25/07 10:27 PM Re: Question on small propane tank storage life [Re: Judy_Hakala]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I agree, 5-7 years at minimum, as long as they are stored correctly. I've seen the smaller propane cylinders (for plumbing torches) that were older than that, and they worked. The propane doesn't break down; it's just a matter of micro leaks in the valve over time.

I think the bottom line is: if you shake them and can feel liquid propane sloshing around, they're okay to use.

Rust, as has been mentioned, is a problem. If it's only on the threads, you can wire brush it off. It's critical that the top rim be smooth and flat, since that mates with the rubber seals on the appliance. It's also important that there be a minimum of crud on the inside of the rim, where the "nose" of the appliance pushes down and opens the valve.

I've resurrected a couple of old cylinders with wire brush, light oil and fine emery cloth. (Tightwad!) They worked fine, though I checked very carefully for serious corrosion to the cylinder walls and for leaks once mated to the appliance.

If I was storing for the long term, I would probably use a rag with light oil and lightly wipe the exposed surfaces. And I would keep the caps on. You could even wrap the entire top with electrical tape to discourage entry of damp air.

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/25/07 10:30 PM)

#98383 - 06/26/07 01:31 AM Re: Question on small propane tank storage life [Re: Judy_Hakala]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Welcome to the list Judy.

If it's propane, unless your tanks are rusting out from under it, it's fine. If it's in a climate controlled area, dry, and you don't crack the seals, it will be as "propany" five years from now as it was yesterday. Like fruit cake, so long as it is kept in a sealed container it won't disappear, and unlike fruit cake, it never gets stale. smile

For reference, I've seen unopened colman cylinders that have been in storage for ten years work fine. And while they were stored out of the rain and snow, they weren't stored anyplace heated. But I wouldn't make a habit of it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#98384 - 06/26/07 01:35 AM Re: Question on small propane tank storage life [Re: Themalemutekid]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

They are, duh, hazmat. You'd want to talk to your local waste management folks.

Where is your rust? If it is on the body, scrub with a wire brush, gently. If it is on the threads... Yeah, dont' smoke around it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#98407 - 06/26/07 04:08 AM Re: Question on small propane tank storage life [Re: ironraven]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Why the dismissive & disparaging tone to your reply ironraven? Weren't we all taught as children that, there are no such things as stupid questions? And just to clarify things, I do know that these tanks are hazardous, that’s why I asked about proper disposal. Also I don't smoke but if I did, I wouldn't do a fool thing like smoke around them. And lastly you asked where the rust is, it's on the threads. But don't bother with any replies; I got all the information that I was seeking from the other far more constructive posts on this thread..

#98413 - 06/26/07 05:18 AM You did ask where you can get rid of them. [Re: Themalemutekid]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

It should be pretty obvious, so I figured I'd point it out since from the way you were asking you seemed to have not picked up on that. The "don't smoke around them" is me being a little sarcastic, and if you've been around here as long as you have you'll know that many of us are rather sarcastic.

But if you want to be whiny, that's fine with me.

#98415 - 06/26/07 05:25 AM Re: Question on small propane tank storage life [Re: ironraven]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

....I see your internet muscles are firmly in place...I wonder if you'd act like such a wiseguy in person?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 254 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.