Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#97739 - 06/18/07 05:38 AM BLOOD CLOTTER FLOPPED IN IRAQ, SOLD AT HOME
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I was doing some googling for new products to include into my FAK, and ran into this article about QuickClot. The article was not very favorable towards the product. Has anyone here ever used the stuff or something like it?

P.S. Article is not for the faint-hearted.

#97741 - 06/18/07 06:38 AM Re: BLOOD CLOTTER FLOPPED IN IRAQ, SOLD AT HOME [Re: Themalemutekid]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Personally, I include Blood Stop Gauze and at least one First Care Emergency Bandages in my FAKs. My general thinking is to apply the gauze, then the bandage over it.

There was a thread about the Blood Stop Gauze a while back.

There are also some threads about QuickClot on here.

-john

Edited by JohnN (06/18/07 06:42 AM)

#97743 - 06/18/07 07:29 AM Re: BLOOD CLOTTER FLOPPED IN IRAQ, SOLD AT HOME [Re: Themalemutekid]
CentralOklahoma Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
The reports are dated. The US ARMY currently issues the Quick Clot SPOUNGE with the Israeli bandage. They had reports of the Quick Clot powder blowing away in the wind and having a hard time getting it into and or onto the wound. Now they train to put the spounge over the wound and then the bandage.

I personaly like the 6" /w sliding pad bandage (Israeli Bandage) as the best overall bandage with some quick quick clot. I will be upgrading from the powder quick clot to the spounge.

The local ambulance service carries the Israeli bandage 6" with sliding pad. One paramedic told me he used one on an guy with an amuptated arm and it stopped the bleeding 100%. He reminded me direct pressure works "BEST".

I had purchased the Cinch Tight bandage and the Israeli bandage in the past. The Cinch Tight "hook" thing promply came off the bandage in the first minute of handling one. I still have several Cinch Tight's, BUT I will only buy and reley on the Israeli bandage in the future. Thye are the best in my opinion.

I get my stuff from www.chinookmed.com

Edited by CentralOklahoma (06/18/07 11:26 AM)

#97750 - 06/18/07 11:50 AM Re: BLOOD CLOTTER FLOPPED IN IRAQ, SOLD AT HOME [Re: CentralOklahoma]
Glass Offline
Inspired Amature
Stranger

Loc: Southern Oregon, USA
A big +1 for Chinook Medical. I bought some stuff from them, and they had it to me in no time. I was very happy with my purchase.

Patrick

Other forums I frequent:
www.warriortalk.com
www.totalprotectioninteractive.com

#97753 - 06/18/07 12:39 PM Re: BLOOD CLOTTER FLOPPED IN IRAQ, SOLD AT HOME [Re: Themalemutekid]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
As my own first-hand experience proved, the stuff works well when you apply it correctly. Basically, put it on a 4x4, then put it on the wound.

#97805 - 06/18/07 10:02 PM Re: BLOOD CLOTTER FLOPPED IN IRAQ, SOLD AT HOME [Re: Themalemutekid]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I would be careful about calling (that website calling) QuickClot a "flop" based on these handful of incidents in this one report (from 2003). Reports from actual users are valuable, but user comments can also lead to erroneous conclusions, too. For example, QuickClot does mention in its literature that puncture wounds, like a small gunshot entrance wound, can be problematic because it is hard to get the product down to the actual site of heavy bleeding. That's a problem to the person bleeding out, yes, but not necessarily a failure of the product, particularly when that limitation was known before the product was distributed to the troops. More open wounds, like a cut or laceration, or wounds with less blood flow are where products like QuickClot generally do better. Short of sticking a hemostat into your thigh to clamp off the femoral artery, I don't think that there are any products out there that do well in such a situation.

#97815 - 06/19/07 02:24 AM Re: BLOOD CLOTTER FLOPPED IN IRAQ, SOLD AT HOME [Re: Themalemutekid]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've read it. I wouldn't call QuikClot a flop. I'm more interested in the shrimp stuff (a little friendlier around wet and cold), but QuikClot has worked. Maybe not as was hoped, maybe not as pitched by some of the PR flacks, but it has worked. It IS NOT the great magic wand to bleeding that a lot people thought it was going to be, but realistically the only thing that will do that is pull our brains out and put them in armoured fishbowls inside a souped up Talon. smile

I'm glad the sponges are being fielded, they look like they are harder to screw up and I do like the idea of a blood stopper in a fiber bandage. And more effective in cases where you have high pressure bleeding such as the four described- bracial and femoral arteries? That's like trying to plug up the end of a fire hose with dry cement.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.