Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87139 - 03/02/07 04:29 PM good 12v air compressor ?
LazyJoe Offline

Loc: Oregon

I am looking for a good 12v air compressor to carry in my vehicle. The only ones I can find in the local stores look
like something my 6yoa neighbor would use on his big-wheel.

crazy

HELP!

what's out there in the real world ?

#87141 - 03/02/07 04:51 PM Re: good 12v air compressor ? [Re: LazyJoe]
Boghog1 Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Viair (sp) makes an okay one, it depends on what you are looking to do with it. check the different off-road forums out there or do a google search for "on-board air"

#87144 - 03/02/07 05:19 PM Re: good 12v air compressor ? [Re: Boghog1]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
I have a "Master Flow Tsunami," which works pretty well. I picked it up on sale for $50 at a GI Joes (some of my friends found it for $25 at Baxters auto parts), the MSRP is about $70. I use it for airing up my tires after a day of Wheel'n and I've been quite impressed with it. I've heard rumors it can outperform some Viairs or other more expensive compressors. Bottom line is this compressor is a good compromise of cost and function.

#87181 - 03/02/07 09:28 PM Re: good 12v air compressor ? [Re: Rio]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Well, Boghog1 is right, it depends on intended use of the compressor, your car, and your tires. I prefer to keep in my trunk a nonelectric foot pump just for emergencies (like to adjust pressure in the spare tire prior to its installation). Who knows how much juice left in the battery at the time of emergency?

Dirt-cheap and rock-reliable:

#87193 - 03/02/07 11:58 PM Re: good 12v air compressor ? [Re: Alex]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I'll second the Masterflow, i have two of them. For the price, they are the best deal out there by far. They're selling them at Costco now for just under $50. Just be aware that it needs to connect directly to the battery, not through the cigarette lighter adapter. That's actually a good thing, most of the ones that connect to a cigarette lighter have weak motors, which is why they don't draw enough current to blow the fuses. This one draws a lot more current than those junk air compressors. Make sure your engine is running, cuz I've had it drain my battery enough to need a jumpstart after using it for a while.

#87215 - 03/03/07 04:40 AM Re: good 12v air compressor ? [Re: Rio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Viair and Maxair both reportedly make great stuff, but they have a high price also. I bought one of the Master Flow Tsunami pumps and am more than happy with it. It will even take our RV tires up to 95 psi with no problems...

#87268 - 03/04/07 01:14 AM Re: good 12v air compressor ? [Re: ducktapeguy]
mootz Offline
Stranger

Loc: Idaho
I'm an avid 4WD person, but I have not been "in the market" for a while now. I currently have an ARB on-board air compressor (the larger one- I understand there is a smaller one on the market now)AND a Quick Air 1 in my rig. Obviously, the primary use for the ARB is to power my air lockers, but I also use it to air up after a trail run. Both of these units combined cannot compare to the ones that could power an air tool such as an impact wrench. However, using both at the same time makes for a faster "air up." I installed an extra 12V socket at the rear of my vehicle to accomodate the Quick Air.

Knowing what I know now, I would first consider what your primary purpose would be. The units that have the ability to power an air tool, to me, would be the best choice because of its versatility- you basically could do anything air related such as popping a tire bead back onto a rim and anything less. The smaller units just don't have he grunt to do that, but you get what you pay for.

If you're looking for an electrical unit, look at the duty cycle. Many compressors have a "time limit" before you have to allow it to cool. Again, that's going to depend on what your primary purpose of the compressor is in the first place.

There are engine powered ones, but that might be over the edge-I understand they're awesome though.

#87271 - 03/04/07 01:36 AM Re: good 12v air compressor ? [Re: mootz]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
Originally Posted By: mootz
The units that have the ability to power an air tool, to me, would be the best choice because of its versatility- you basically could do anything air related such as popping a tire bead back onto a rim and anything less. The smaller units just don't have he grunt to do that, but you get what you pay for.

There are compressors powerful enough to run air tools without a tank? If you could post a link I'd love to take a look at one of those units. I was always under the impression that you needed at least a 2.5 gallon air tank to power air tools.

If powering air tools and re-seating tire beads are a concern for you, it may be cheaper to simply add an air tank to a smaller compressor like the ones in the "quick air" series. Wouldn't be able to run the tool continuously but would be plenty for short bursts and a lot cheaper than a heavy duty compressor.

#87276 - 03/04/07 03:11 AM Re: good 12v air compressor ? [Re: Rio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Air tools need pressure and flow rate, if you can keep both in the right range they work fine.

#87288 - 03/04/07 06:06 AM Re: good 12v air compressor ? [Re: Rio]
mootz Offline
Stranger

Loc: Idaho
I'm not computer literate, but here's the website:

www.oasismfg.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
3 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, jds, UncleGoo), 188 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 06:13 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.