Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89454 - 03/25/07 06:22 PM SHOW AND TELL ? ?
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

a few minutes ago i sent another member a PM about gas lamp
and stove safety..it struck me that as adults--i hope--that
we don't have access to real hands-on,show and tell opportunitys that say boy/girl scouts would have in the use of
some of this gear..and that some or many of the bad results
that people might have are from lack of hands on training
that you are not going to get when you walk out of a big box
store with a new gas lamp..REI and other outdoor shops will
sometimes have sandtables for demos but not everyone has
one near by..tradeshows are the same..far from home and not
often...so--has anyone thought about informal meets where
some of our "talent" could show and share..not camp outs
with a BOB but just a drive..less than a hour say..to a
well known local park to spread out some gear and light
a few stoves..or demo your sparklight..??

WHY SHOULD I WAIT FOR THE PRE-HEAT TO FINISH!!!

oh--i see......

Edited by CANOEDOGS (03/25/07 06:30 PM)

#89456 - 03/25/07 07:16 PM Re: SHOW AND TELL ? ? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

haha, thats stove experians is just like you said an experians issue. Proper preheating and you will be fine. Try getting experians outside, somewhere safe first, though.

I just come back from a short weekend trip with somebody else, testing kit and stuff. We discoverd that it takes about 2 hours and 7 cleaning jobs to filter 1.8 liter of mud in to water, with a MSR miniworks. We also confirmed or suspision about contaminating the clean and dirty side, when cleaning the ceramic. It's highly likely, so we end up boiling the water too...

I'm also going to a bushcraft meetup with 70 others, testing, learning and trying our kit and skills.

Edited by PC2K (03/25/07 07:17 PM)

#89457 - 03/25/07 07:16 PM Re: SHOW AND TELL ? ? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Canoedogs,
If you are prehaeting your whisperlight in the first photo you are doing it wrong.

When you preheat that stove you open the fuel line (after pumping) just enough to get a tiny amount of fuel in the primer pan which is the little cup under the burner.
You light the fuel and let it burn for as long as it can. After a few minutes you have heated the fuel ine and vaporized the fuel.

Now you can open the valve and allow fuel to the burner. You might be able to get it to light from the priming flame below but you may have to light the burner itself.

When you light the burner, only turn the value open to the point where you go from a blue flame to an orange flame. Back it off until you get a blue flame. After a minute or two you should be able to open the valve 100% and get cooking with a blue flame.

You do not light the burner to prime the stove this will cause you to burn liquid white gas (orange flame)instead of vaporized white gas (blue flame) this will clog the burner with soot and clog your stove.

The flare up in the second photo is the pressure in fuel bottle shooting liquid fuel out of the burner before the stove is properly primed.

By the way in the first photo it looks like you have priming paste; you don't NEED it for that stove. Simply prime the way I described.

Sorry to highjack the thread; yes it would be fun and useful to meet up with ETS friends and play with our gear. You can both learn and teach at a gathering like that.

#89458 - 03/25/07 07:23 PM Re: SHOW AND TELL ? ? [Re: billym]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: billym
Canoedogs,
If you are prehaeting your whisperlight in the first photo you are doing it wrong.

When you preheat that stove you open the fuel line (after pumping) just enough to get a tiny amount of fuel in the primer pan which is the little cup under the burner.
You light the fuel and let it burn for as long as it can. After a few minutes you have heated the fuel ine and vaporized the fuel.

Now you can open the valve and allow fuel to the burner. You might be able to get it to light from the priming flame below but you may have to light the burner itself.

When you light the burner, only turn the value open to the point where you go from a blue flame to an orange flame. Back it off until you get a blue flame. After a minute or two you should be able to open the valve 100% and get cooking with a blue flame.

You do not light the burner to prime the stove this will cause you to burn liquid white gas (orange flame)instead of vaporized white gas (blue flame) this will clog the burner with soot and clog your stove.

The flare up in the second photo is the pressure in fuel bottle shooting liquid fuel out of the burner before the stove is properly primed.

By the way in the first photo it looks like you have priming paste; you don't NEED it for that stove. Simply prime the way I described.

Sorry to highjack the thread; yes it would be fun and useful to meet up with ETS friends and play with our gear. You can both learn and teach at a gathering like that.

Yes, you can preheat a gasoline stove with gasoline, but paste of spirits burns much cleaner and it's safer to handle. I personnally prefer to prime mine stoves with spirits. Done properly you will have no soot at all, leaving everything much cleaner.

i only use gasoline as a preheat, when mine tiny bottle of spirits runs out.

I'm going to a cooking / food course end april, which includes a section about stoves. If i find more tricks, i will post it. I doubt it, though...

#89459 - 03/25/07 07:33 PM Re: SHOW AND TELL ? ? [Re: Tjin]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
No you are supposed to prime with the fuel but you can use priming paste, You have it backwards.

The whole idea is that you do not need a separate item to carry just to prime the stove like the stoves that preceeded the whisperlight.

If you use as little fuel as possible to prime the stove you will get very little soot on the stove and only on the underside of the burner which is easily wiped off.

If you are experienced with this stove it is entirely safe to handle while priming with only the fuel and do not need the priming paste.

I have owned the same Whisperlight Intl. for over 10 years now and I have sold, repaired, cleaned and taught customers how to use this stove and all other MSR stoves for more that 7 years.

#89460 - 03/25/07 07:53 PM Re: SHOW AND TELL ? ? [Re: billym]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

well i didn't say that paste should be the primairy methode, i just ment that it isn't wrong to do so. For the reasons i stated earlier. There are plenty of people that prefer a extra little bottle, so than don't get soot everywhere. But we are getting off topic fast...

#89464 - 03/25/07 09:13 PM Re: SHOW AND TELL ? ? [Re: Tjin]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have a whisperlite that I've used for years. One winter trip, I had found out that the leather pump cup had dired out. I had nothing to lube it with. So, I chewed it for a minute. Worked fine after that smile
I've never had flare up with my whisperlite, to any real noticeable degree. Not like in the pic, anyway. If people dont want to read & follow directions, well, pain is a good teacher wink

#89505 - 03/26/07 02:52 AM Re: SHOW AND TELL ? ? [Re: oldsoldier]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
I have a whisperlite that I've used for years. One winter trip, I had found out that the leather pump cup had dired out. I had nothing to lube it with. So, I chewed it for a minute. Worked fine after that smile
I've never had flare up with my whisperlite, to any real noticeable degree. Not like in the pic, anyway. If people dont want to read & follow directions, well, pain is a good teacher wink

So, um, did it taste like fuel?

#89507 - 03/26/07 03:26 AM Re: SHOW AND TELL ? ? [Re: MDinana]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If everything is working right, it should taste more like air...

#89510 - 03/26/07 03:48 AM Re: SHOW AND TELL ? ? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
notice the blue band on the Sigg bottle..thats for kerosene..
i got this stove on Ebay as the international model,it also
came in a box marked as such..it fired up and ran fine
on coleman fuel..i have and use the old MSR GK..the one with
the solid pipe and not the flex one..and run it on both fuels..
sooooo--after running the new wisperlite on gas i got out
the kero bottle..gave it a good pre-heat and turned up the
valve with those results..big shock...not the international.
a hard look at both of them on the web and i could see the
difference...rip off???..maybe the seller was honest and
he was sold a bill of goods?? anyway it was a good buy.
i cleaned off the soot and it went on a canoe trip as
a back up to my Peak One..

this little stove is an Optimus 96..it's an old kero burner
that breaks down into several bits and fits in a small tin
box..its no longer made but this runs like the day it came
from the factory in Sweden..i just use this for brew-ups on
day hikes as spilled kero is a nasty mess in a pack..
i pre-heat this with alcohol..

Edited by CANOEDOGS (03/26/07 04:10 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 225 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.