Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#88565 - 03/16/07 09:28 PM Gear test: Camelbak HAWG -- Hydration pack
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Guys,
Just uploaded a review of my new pack on the blog :

http://familydisasterplanning.blogspot.com/

In short -- I recomend getting a hydration pack, either this one or another model. Its such an easy way to carry water and gear.

Teacher

#88791 - 03/19/07 01:36 PM Re: Gear test: Camelbak HAWG -- Hydration pack [Re: teacher]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I've used the HAWG numerous times as well. I also recommend it. As a general day pack, it is fine, but it's a bit small for extended use. When we did our cold weather medical training in February, I outfitted it for the day with a Kifaru Claymore, Kifaru GPS/Phone pouch and SpecOps Frontal Assault pouch. I was able to carry a full set of ECWCS gear as well as food, spare gloves and med gear. It rides very well, even with the add ons, although the waist belt could be a bit more beefy.

#88830 - 03/19/07 11:06 PM Re: Gear test: Camelbak HAWG -- Hydration pack [Re: Malpaso]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
My camelbak Motherlode pack suits me quite nicely as a BOB. It was always hanging by the door of my hooch or my office when I was in Baghdad.

#88919 - 03/20/07 07:16 PM Re: Gear test: Camelbak HAWG -- Hydration pack [Re: teacher]
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
Remember, there are two versions of the HAWG. Teacher reviews the commercial version (brighter colors, different design); Malpaso is referring to the military version (subdued or camo, & a different design).

IMO, the military version is better; it's what I chose over the commercial one. I think it has a slightly larger capacity, but it's very different in design...and the MOLLE/PALS webbing is very useful, as Malpaso noted. I ran some small elastic/bungee cord through the outer slots on the lower pocket loops, added a cord lock, tied a figure-8, & now have a bungee to secure light/bulky items quickly & temporarily.

You can also use the bladder compartment (sounds odd, doesn't it?) for storage if you're not using it to hold the hydration bladder. I do so with things than can not damage the bladder, even when using it, such as trash bags or spare bandana.

As noted, it's a bit small (1200 CI, more or less, I think), but add-ons are easy. I attached a fanny pack & belt to mine via the bottom attachment points, for a rappelling trip last summer, then proceeded to overload the pack. I weighed it fully loaded as carried (rope, slings, racks, 'biners, gloves, plus the usual day-hike stuff, including 3+liters of water). I was surprised to find it weighed 40 pounds--it carried it incredibly well, with no discomfort. However, I don't recommend doing that, but my point is that the military HAWG, at least, can pretty much take what you throw at it, & pass with flying colors.

I swapped the sternum strap buckle to the one with the integral whistle, and I'd add more MOLLE points on the sides & top...and just may. But the side compression straps permit adding pockets, or securing items beneath them, as well.

It's my favorite small pack, without question.

David

#89395 - 03/25/07 02:20 AM Re: Gear test: Camelbak HAWG -- Hydration pack [Re: benjammin]
aligator Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NY
Ladies and Gents, The civi version is part of my EDC and as stated, its a might small. I might want to try the mil. version or just go bigger. I like the non mil color for bob purposes but miss the modularity. Regards, Jim

#89500 - 03/26/07 02:36 AM Re: Gear test: Camelbak HAWG -- Hydration pack [Re: aligator]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Good points -- its really more of a hiking/ day pack than a true BoB. But its really nice.

TRO

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 552 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.