Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#85165 - 02/08/07 01:09 PM MSNBC-Today Show Winter Survival
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Edited by Doug_Ritter (02/08/07 02:27 PM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#85166 - 02/08/07 01:15 PM Re: MSNBC-Today Show Winter Survival
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Good story. HE did pretty much everything that you needed to do except, of course, give a timeline. OTOH, the searchers should have been on skis, or snowshoes, or something so they COULD have heard him.

#85167 - 02/08/07 05:39 PM Re: MSNBC-Today Show Winter Survival
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I have camped out in that type of snow shelter several times. They work pretty well - 100% wind proof and well insulated, although you can't get the inside surface above 32F no matter what you do (still beats a tent at any outside temp below freezing).

Given appropriate trees, I'd take an improved tree well over a snow cave any time. If you really want a snow cave, pile snow on your tree well shelter and have the benefits of both with less total work.

I concur with your comments on the time required to build a snow cave, Doug. Of course, the 4 guys with snow shovels shown in the video were probably able to make a one-man shelter in 40 minutes. Plus, I've usually let the pile it sit for an hour or so to allow it to harden up before I started digging it out.

They emphasize staying dry, but you have to be very careful not to overheat and sweat while shoveling. It is very easy to get wet while digging it out too.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#85168 - 02/08/07 08:51 PM Re: MSNBC-Today Show Winter Survival
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've made a bunch of these, and I'd say 90-120 minutes if you have a good shovel and good evergreens with low greenery. They would have been much better off showing how to go into a and improve a tree well, which is what I usually do winter camping these days.

I REALLY like the "stay out of thick forests" recommendation. With this being a family friendly forum, I'm not able to say which rude gestures were directed at my computer monitor at that idiotic utterance. Although on second thought, I actually do like it. Keeps fools out from under my feet.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#85169 - 02/09/07 05:15 AM Re: MSNBC-Today Show Winter Survival
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
This article was good (haven't seen the video yet).
I think I am going to re-think the equipment I carry on those "short hikes" I take in the local hills, one never knows when one is forced to spend a night outdoors.

#85170 - 02/09/07 03:16 PM Re: MSNBC-Today Show Winter Survival
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Okay Doug made the first point I always thing of when I hear people say carry a cell phone. That is if you do not have cell service then it is useless. Many people carry a cell phone with a false sense of false security.
Secondly the type of snow shelter mentioned of making a snow mound and digging into it actually takes a few hours to make as you have to let the snow consolidate after you pile it up, before you can dig into it. Also making a snow cave is VERY wet work. A snow treach is much better in 90% of the situations. Having equipment and know how to use it is the best of any sutuation.
cheers

#85171 - 02/10/07 04:06 AM Re: MSNBC-Today Show Winter Survival
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"... if you do not have cell service then it is useless..."

Maybe I misunderstood this. If you meant that trying to call when you are outside the range of cell phone towers, that is true.

But if you meant you had a cell phone but had no purchased service, so you couldn't make a call, that is incorrect.

As long as you have a charged battery in your phone and are within range of towers, you can call 911 without having active service, such as Verizon.

Because of this fact, people who have upgraded and no longer use their perfectly good old cell phones are encouraged to donate them to places that give them to the elderly or abused women who may need to call 911.

Here is one article on it: http://www.charityguide.org/volunteer/fifteen/cell-phone-recycling.htm

Sue

#85172 - 02/10/07 04:46 AM Re: MSNBC-Today Show Winter Survival
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Interesting site about the phone charity thingy. Where do you come up with this stuff?

About five or so years ago, my former big boss, now the sheriff of a somewhat rural county in CA with a lot of seniors, started a similar program. He called it SOS (Save Our Seniors). I don't know if any of the donated phones were ever used in an emergency, but if it only happens once it is all worth it...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 269 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.