The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#74418 - 10/03/06 09:57 PM help in finding plastic vials/containers for PSK/F
mgjscdhl Offline
Stranger

Loc: canada
I want a small plastic container with plastic cap. I have found some other glass ones here in town @ pawn shop but their top has a smaller diameter than rest of vial. Idealy I want to be able to put hooks, sinkers, needles and safety pins witthout having problem getting out of them and should be small enough for a altoid tin or bcb survival kit tin.
I found one website but they want bulk orders.

In case there are confusion, this is what I'm looking for (from
POCKET SURVIVAL PAK slideshow):

#74419 - 10/03/06 10:19 PM Re: help in finding plastic vials/containers for P
Flotsam Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Nalgene make some straight sided vials that are pretty good, and have a fairly tight lid (they snap on, instead of a screw cap).

For a cheaper alternative, you can look at 35mm film canisters, the small tubes candy comes in (M&M minis, for one) the tubes that contain small amounts of OTC meds (tylenol, etc...) - there are a lot of possibilities if you keep your eyes open.

Nalgene travel vials

Edited by Flotsam (10/03/06 10:22 PM)

#74420 - 10/03/06 10:38 PM Re: help in finding plastic vials/containers for PSK/FAK
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City

#74421 - 10/03/06 11:01 PM Re: help in finding plastic vials/containers for P
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I've used my discarded plastic glucose tablet vials to store things in, but not in a PSK or FAK The problem is the cap slides inside the vial on those too. Another idea I had was Allen shotgun choke tube storage vials, but they are too large, and again the same cap problem. I use the Allen 6-vial choke tube storage pouches.to store up to 2 weeks worth of meds in each for camping, BOB, etc.

#74422 - 10/03/06 11:28 PM Re: help in finding plastic vials/containers for PSK/F
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Try REI they stock lots of little vials.

#74423 - 10/03/06 11:46 PM Re: help in finding plastic vials/containers for P
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Container Store is great - if you have a retail location nearby, even better. Lots of polycarbonate containers of all sizes. I love that place.

#74424 - 10/03/06 11:46 PM Re: help in finding plastic vials/containers for P
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I got some from the link below (scroll down the page for the plastic ones):

http://www.lifestylestore.com/ls_vials&goodies.html

The glass ones have a neck that is slightly smaller than the rest of the bottle. The plastic ones are the same inner diameter all the way down. But that's because the plastic walls are thicker than the glass walls. So the plastic i.d., while constant, is smaller than the glass i.d. The o.d. is the same for both glass and plastic vials. They have screw tops. They would easily fit in an Altoids tin PSK. I think these are too small, diameter-wise, for fishhooks and safety pins (except small specimens). They are from a prospecting supplies store - normally used to store gold samples and such. I don't know about minimum orders. Their shipping charges seem pretty high to me. I avoided that because I have one of their brick'n'morter stores near me.

Other oddball places to look are homemage perfume supply stores. Check out "perfume vials" or "perfume supplies" in a Google search. Along with "prospecting supplies". Actually, I just tried Google with "little plastic bottles" and "little plastic vials" and came up with some decent looking potential suppliers.

#74425 - 10/04/06 02:10 AM Re: help in finding plastic vials/containers for P
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
For something like what AMK uses in the PSP, try Brownell's. They have tubing with caps in the shop supply section of thier catalog. Or Ebay, you can usually get smaller quantities that someone's remainders or scraps that are big enough to be useable.

You can also use paintball tubes, or plastic test tubes, but if you cut them down, they don't seal quite as well any more.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#74426 - 10/04/06 03:36 AM Re: help in finding plastic vials/containers for P
Grits Offline
Master Burger Flipper

Loc: Western North Carolina
For plastic vials try a coin shop or coin collecting supply company such as Whitman. They come in a couple of styles. I have some that are square shaped to facilate better storage. I have some that are round.

I have a couple of 25 cent tubes that I have set up for sewing/ fishing kits. I took three plastic sewing machine bobbins and wound them with upholstery thread, 30 & 50 lbs Sinderwire braided fishing line. Drop the needles down the center of the bobbins and finish filling the tube with hooks, sinkers, ect.

Best thing is that you can buy only what you need. No need to buy in bulk.

#74427 - 10/04/06 03:50 AM Re: help in finding plastic vials/containers for P
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Yes, those dime-size coin holder tubes will just almost fit inside an Altoids tin. Almost...

They have them at our local hobby/art/crafts supply store ("Hobby Lobby") in case you have one of those type of places near you. That's if you have some kit that's slightly bigger than an Altoid tin to put them in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 230 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.