Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#71622 - 08/19/06 04:03 PM Exped Expedition Sewing Kit w/ Awl
Paulb Offline
Journeyman

#71623 - 08/19/06 05:49 PM Re: Exped Expedition Sewing Kit w/ Awl
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Inuit say the two most important survival items are a knife and good sewing kit.

#71624 - 08/19/06 08:50 PM Re: Exped Expedition Sewing Kit w/ Awl
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
This is perfect timing to share a new discovery of mine.

There have been times that I have needed to repair or attach an item to fabric, but do not have access to the back side of the material or do not want to go all the way through the material. Glue just didn't seem like a robust enough standalone fix, so I and the item was left hanging.

Recently my wife's grandmother died and I was helping to clean out her house. I came across an amazing set of needles that were curved (almost a semi-circle)

"What on earth are these?" I cried out. My mother-in-law matter of factly stated "upolstery needles". "Eureka!" I shouted. Finally, a needle that can be used to penetrate fabric, then come back up on the same side of the fabric. The usefulness to an ETSer is obvious.

I carefully set them aside to later include them into my current PSK sewing kit. My wife then discovered my "set aside" upolstery needles and quietly said to herself "what are these?" Since no one replied, she promptly threw them away.
D'oh!.

Soon I will be haunting all the local craft and sewing stores to replace this useful tool. I highly recommend these as an addition to any well stocked sewing kit.

TR

#71625 - 08/19/06 08:57 PM Re: Exped Expedition Sewing Kit w/ Awl
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
Hey, while you're shopping for upolstery needles, don't forget to pick up a heavy gauge thread to go with it.

When you are in the middle of the boonies or the middle of a crisis, function will rule over fashion. The light guage thread that comes in most sewing kits is a bit frail to depend on.

TR

#71626 - 08/19/06 09:16 PM Re: Exped Expedition Sewing Kit w/ Awl
Angel Offline

Actually a light weight fishing line works great for using as thread and is stronger than thread. I use the red cajun line, about 8 lb test. I keep a spool in my BOB and use it for everything including fishing.

#71627 - 08/19/06 09:26 PM Re: Exped Expedition Sewing Kit w/ Awl
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
That's probably because they have to make just about everything. Clothing, Pack's, Straps. You name it, they make it.

One useful tip - from someone who used to work with a Saddler - is to use saddlers thread for heavy duty repairs and to keep a candle stub (silicon) in your sewing kit. Cut a notch in the candle. Run the tread through the notch. Does two things: 1) waterproofs the thread & 2) lubricates it. Makes the sewing easier.

#71629 - 08/20/06 03:21 AM Re: Exped Expedition Sewing Kit w/ Awl
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I just use dental floss. I wrap it around a set of different needles and put it in my PSK. It has excellent tensile strength. It is waxed. I've repaired blown out backpack straps with it among other things and it hasn't failed yet (actually, the old pack is stronger now). I fashioned a water jug carrier out of denim shorts using it once. It actually permanently reinforces any el cheapo quality stitching on any chew toys my dog makes quick work out of.

#71630 - 08/20/06 01:02 PM Re: Exped Expedition Sewing Kit w/ Awl
Paulb Offline
Journeyman

Usually the curved are found in household needle assortments

http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat147.htm

My grandmother gave one with some heavy duty thread when I went away to the service for darning.

#71631 - 08/20/06 01:44 PM Re: Exped Expedition Sewing Kit w/ Awl
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
I while back I ordered some thick kevlar thread, thin spectra thread, and heavy duty kevlar/stainless steel thread. Admittedly I love gadgets and I partly ordered them because they are high tech and state of the art, but they are about as strong as you can get and this strenght makes them versatile enough for other uses(i.e. fishing line, snares, perhaps even shelter building). I wrapped some of each around a rectangle of cardboard that I cut out of a tissue box(folded twice, glued together except for one side), stuck 2 needles at one end of the cardboard, with the folded side blocking the points. Makes a very compact and functional sewing kit. It sits in my repair kit along with safety pins, rubber bands, some thicker kevlar string, duct tape, and super glue. The whole thing is slightly larger than one of the original iPods(most of that volume is the duct tape, one of the prepackaged flat rolls you get at ems).

#71632 - 08/20/06 03:26 PM Re: Exped Expedition Sewing Kit w/ Awl
widget Offline
Addict

That sewing kit is the same as the old Chouinard Expedition Sewing kit from the 1970's -'80's. Except the little leather case is now a nylon one. Well worth the investment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.