Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#42304 - 06/26/05 12:07 AM Maxpedition Devildog Versipack
7k7k99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
I really like the looks of the new Maxpedition Devildog Versipack

http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_vp_devildog.htm

for my new bug out bag, but the lowest price I have been able to find on the 'net is about $75 plus postage. Anyone know of anyone selling this bag at a lower price?

#42305 - 06/26/05 12:56 AM Re: Maxpedition Devildog Versipack
readyone Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florida
I have had my Maxpedition Devildog a couple of months now (actually received one of the first in the U.S. when they arrived at Maxpedition) and I use it everyday. I had been looking for "something" that would allow me to put all my daily survival gear in one place and also be able to carry water. The Devildog was exactly what I was looking for. Mesh pockets on both sides to carry up to a 32 oz. "Nalgene" syle container and two pockets, front for quick access, and main for everything else. The main compartment is large enough to carry daily survival gear, plus large enough to carry a 8MM video camera and digital camera. When I am asked what the carry bag is all about I just state it is my camera bag. I have taken it everywhere, stores, schools, meetings and yes even to church, while wearing a coat and tie (remember it is now my "camera" bag). I tried to wear it using the waist belt but it was overloaded and rode very poorly on my waist (equals hurt my back). I did mention that fact to the company and suggested that some type of harness be developed to help carry heavier loads. I normally carry it using the hand carry strap, or shoulder strap when I need both hands free. For those of you that have experienced the Maxpedition quality, it is superb!

I do not have any ties to Maxpedition, but I wish I did... and yes I did pay full retail price!

Experimenting with survival gear to find the right combination does get costly but my search for a daily carry bag is over!

ONE DAY CLOSER

#42306 - 06/26/05 01:35 AM Re: Maxpedition Devildog Versipack
Anonymous
Unregistered

It wouldn't be optimum, but could it be used with the belt and the strap? Set up the belt like that on a Sam Brown belt, or on the mounting points that are already there, then brought up under the arms and around the back of the neck, like a halter.

Hey, we get enough greif about our "purses", us guys may as well try other items of feminine garb. :P

#42307 - 06/26/05 02:03 AM Re: Maxpedition Devildog Versipack
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I found out about the DevilDog last January, when I was about to take a trip. It wasn't available yet, so I bought this one instead:

REI Mother Lode

It has a similar advantage- mesh pockets on either side for a 32 oz Nalgene. Inside, the rear compartment is big enough to take magazines, which I like to take with when riding airlines.

Edited by GoatRider (06/26/05 02:04 AM)

#42308 - 06/26/05 02:55 AM Re: Maxpedition Devildog Versipack
7k7k99 Offline
Enthusiast

My first pick was the Maxpedition Proteus, but regrettably, the belt won't fit my middle age waistline, but the new Devildog will, so it may be the Devildog that wins.

#42309 - 06/26/05 03:16 AM Re: Maxpedition Devildog Versipack
readyone Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florida
The waist size issue has always been a factor when researching various items (backpacks, fanny packs, etc.). Seems that the greater majority of companies do not advertise, for whatever reason, the size waist that an item will fit. I have actually called/e-mailed companies and asked about an item that I was interested in and the waist size question was met with "I have no idea" or "let me go measure it". I too have a large middle age waist and the waist size is just as important to me as how much something can carry. Companies need to start realizing that the large waist population, both male and female, are part of the consuming public and only a small group of companies are listening.

ONE DAY CLOSER

#42310 - 06/26/05 11:28 PM Re: Maxpedition Devildog Versipack
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

FWIW, I paid $65 for the Maxpedition Fatboy about a month ago at our local retailer.

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#42311 - 06/27/05 02:23 PM Re: Maxpedition Devildog Versipack
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
I think I read that the Maxpedition Proteus waistbelt fits up to a 45" waist, FWIW.

I've given up on being able to get a belt to fit me (at least a 50", but I like extra length to allow for different clothing options). I just buy several feet of appropriate 2" webbing, & re-do one or both sides of the belt myself. I've hand stitched several (with no problems), & had one commercially box/X stitched on an I-frame backpack.

David

#42312 - 05/27/06 04:40 PM Re: Maxpedition Devildog Versipack
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I realize it's been about a year since your post regarding the Maxpedition Devildog, but I was thinking of getting one for a small to medium sized BOB, and I was wondering:

Do you still use the Devildog, and if so do you still like it as much as you did or have you since found something that you like more?

And for anyone else who owns or has used one in the past:

Do you like your Devildog, or have you found something you like better?

Thanks for any help.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (miner), 510 Guests and 136 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.