Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#60521 - 02/14/06 05:31 PM Build a fire
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Well I have been lurking for a while and gained much good wisdom. So this last weekend I took my oldest daughter, 18, to the backyard, covered in about 3 inches of snow, to build a fire. She is starting to be an avid outdoors person etc... So I gave here a candle and book of matches and told her to make a fire. Well that flopped. So I decided to try with my magnesium block and flint, I had played with it before but never made a real fire just lit the Mg on fire. Well it was a suprise to find it wasn't as easy as I had thought. So what to do?? I ran in the house and got some drier lint and then we found how easily it would light. Tried to use melted candle wax on it but not quite right. Then used hust plain lint and the mag shaving and up it went. But for the sparker I had tired the back side of a hacksaw blade and it produce vary few sparks but what did work was an old knife blade out of a SAK I had savaged years ago. But what I did find out after thinking hum the hacksaw blade should work was if I used the toothed side it made a suprising amount of sparks, the amount your see with a Magfire advert. Have any of you had this experiance using the toothed side of a hacksaw blade?
So the moral of the story is is practice, as I have learned and have fun.
cheers

#60522 - 02/14/06 06:45 PM Re: Build a fire
SheepDog Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wild Wonderful WV
Most modern clothing has manmade (plastic) fibers in them and will put out toxic smoke when lit! The cotton ball (100% pure cotton) and Vaseline works better for me!

#60523 - 02/14/06 06:50 PM Re: Build a fire
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
The "business-side" of the hacksaw blade does produce good sparks, but you'll notice that it chews up your rod. You might try sharpening the edges of the opposite side of the blade to improve scraping efficiency.

#60524 - 02/16/06 01:21 AM Re: Build a fire
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
The toothy side of the hacksaw blade does two things - makes a monster-huge spark and really rips up your Magfire, cutting it's useful life in half. But then again, if you use a Magfire to light a fire in an emergency, maybe you don't care if it will last the rest of the decade.

One other thing that the toothy side of the hacksaw blade does besides make a huge spark is it makes a WIDE spray of sparks, which isn't always the best thing.

The best - by far - striker I'v ever used on a Magfire is the BACK of a utility knife blade. Makes a steady, controlled and effective spark.

#60525 - 02/18/06 12:00 AM Re: Build a fire
Grits Offline
Master Burger Flipper

Loc: Western North Carolina
The back of a lock blade knife will produce a good spark.

Need tender, try a tampon.

Really want to have a hot, hot, hot spark? Try the old stand by very fine steel wool and 9 volt battery. It is amazing that steel will burn using the 9 volt bat and a little blowing on it.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.