Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#56693 - 12/24/05 12:39 AM Interestin Discovery
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
Over the last few months, I discovered that my physical activity greatly diminishes my potassium levels which screwed up my heart beat. Via a series of medical tests with and without potassium supplements, even with a good diet, I need to augment my potassium when exercising for long periods of time even beyond my daily multiple vitamin pill. Both the prescription and Over The Counter potassium supplements I took during the testing phase were three percent of the Recommended Daily Requirements. My normal diet had more potassium than that. I guess getting older has affected my bodies consumption rate of potassium when walking long distances. I walk to both keep in shape and to keep my weight in check. Strange, walking for my health almost killed me!

I started to research and consume foods with higher levels of potassium. One day I got an email add from Costco. In that email add, was a item called Zipfizz, an energy and performance powder that is added to water. It is made in Bothell, Washington for those of interest in the Pacific Northwest. It has high level, 26% of the Daily Recommended Requirements, of potassium, the most I ever found, in addition to other very interesting ingredients. Their web site has more details. However, I did not order any. The next time I was in Costco, my wife bumped into something and I caught a falling box before it hit the floor. Surprisingly It was a box of Zipfizz. I bought the box. It says that you can take up to three servings a day but just one gives me enough reserve to keep my potassium levels up. I now include a few tubes as part of my EDC.

The interesting part of this discovery is that the flat bottomed test tubes that the Zipfizz comes in are handy for quite a few things. They are bright yellow and water proof. They will hold two AAA batteries, five or six Q-tips, matches, a few cotton balls, large pills or capsules, fishing kit, or whatever that will fit in the 3 and 5/8 inches long by a little less than 5/8 inches in diameter test tube. They are slightly tapered so what will fit in the mouth will not necessarily go all the way to the bottom. The lid is hinged and snaps on tightly. I have yet to break a hinge but I have not tried to. If you use a organizer in your pack or cargo pants, these easily fit in the elastic loops that would normally hold pens, batteries, or syringes. They will also protect the contents from being crushed.

I have no affiliation with Zipfizz or Costco other than being a member. The best price I have found is at Costco at $19.95 for a box of twenty. That is about a buck a tube but with the serious consequences I was experiencing makes it worth it to me especially with the added benefit of the test tubes for storage containers for my EDC, FAK, and PSK Kits. Their web site is Zipfizz.com.

#56694 - 12/24/05 02:55 AM Re: Interestin Discovery
emotion_overkill Offline

You probably already know that but Avocados are a great source of Potassium. A lot more than Bananas and they also have a lot of vitamins and the fat is non-saturated so it is healthy unless you have some weight problems.

Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing your story!
EoK

#56695 - 12/24/05 07:54 AM Re: Interestin Discovery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Definitely interesting. Thanks for the info. BTW, I do the post in Word, with spel chek, then paste it into the box at ETS. This way, I don’t mis;pel stuff because I really don’t tyup that wiell.

#56696 - 01/11/06 10:05 PM Re: Interestin Discovery
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
In addition to Avocados and other great Potassium sources, -I've also heard of Oranges. This was in connection with the Apollo 15 and 16 Moon Missions. Apollo 15 LM Pilot Jim Irwin actually had a "small" heart attack on the Mission, -in connection with Potassium Deficiency, -this also in conjunction with his exertions on his Moonwalks. (particularly in doing some really Tuff lunar drilling, trying to extract the same, etc). The next Mission, -John Young's and Charlie Duke's Apollo 16, -was consequently "Loaded with Oranges"! So much so that John Young thot it to be a sort of overkill. Beats having to deal with an Irwin type Potassium Deficiency though!

Again, -Oranges and OJ can be added to the list. I think I've heard something about Tomatoes and Tomato Juice too, -but don't quote me on that. [color:"black"] [/color] [email]turbo[/email]

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Eugene), 540 Guests and 140 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.