Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#50227 - 09/25/05 03:00 PM Maxpedition backpack question
handyman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts
I first heard about Maxpedition packs on this forum . Most of what I've read about them was positive. It looks like a lot of people use them as there BOB. My question is , has anyone ever used them for hiking or hunting packs. Are they comfortable with a full load on a long hike? Are they rugged enough for a lot of outdoor use . Do they hold up after a lot of abuse , exposure to bad weather , rain , snow , ice etc. , snagged on branches or whatever ?

#50228 - 09/25/05 03:47 PM Re: Maxpedition backpack question
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have the Max Falcon. It is tough. I doubt that you can do much damage to it. I am a Red Cross Volunteer and have been using the Falcon as my "A" bag. I do not usually wear it constantly, but stash it in our vehicle or where ever I happen to be.

I have also used it as a hiking daypack.

It is not a good hiking backpack. It has no frame and its shape is narrow and it extends quite a bit from my back. If I put a heavy load in the "rear most" compartments, it is off balance. For real backpacking I prefer a "thinner, wider" pack, one that keeps the load higher and closer to my back.

That said, I find it suits my needs well. The multiple pockets means that I can easily get something out without exposing the entire contents of my pack to the elements or "quick fingered bystanders". The very thing which makes it a bad hiking backpack, the thin width, makes it a good pack when moving thru brush or other tightplaces.

It is difficult to get things out of the pack without taking it off, which usually means setting it down somplace. If I am going to be walking and working, I prefer a vest or bat-belt.

If it meets your needs, the workmanship and materials are very good and I am happy with mine.

#50229 - 09/25/05 04:40 PM Re: Maxpedition backpack question
7k7k99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
"If I am going to be walking and working, I prefer a vest or bat-belt."
Unquote

I think I know what you mean by a 'bat-belt' but can you give more details on that?

#50230 - 09/25/05 07:47 PM Re: Maxpedition backpack question
lazermonkey Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Monterey CA
My bat belt is a nylon belt from CTD with a horizontal mag sheath that holds my schrade multi-tool, an m-2 pouch with goodies, and a nite Ize "pock-its".
I love the belt idea because it has all you need and tons of space. I can always aid pouches and it is quick release if it gets caught on something.

#50231 - 09/26/05 04:18 PM Re: Maxpedition backpack question
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Batbelt. A common name for the belts first worn by batman and robin. They have multiple pockets that seem to hold their every need.

Mine has evolved over the years. Mostly it is just a lot of small pouches strung on my belt. Sometimes I use a stiff web belt instead of my "pants" belt.

The big advantages are flexability and mobility. I can change the pouches to suit my needs and I can get to the contents easily.

I have 3 levels of carry.

Bat Belt, minimal stuff, can do most activities when wearing it. easy to get to stuff. Get kidded a lot, but people are getting used to seeing others wear bat-belts.

Fishing vest: Lots of stuff, easy to get at when walking or driving. Inhibits movement somewhat in difficult areas. Looks weird, but usually there is no one else around. Hotter than bat-belt.

Back Pack: I use a tactical back pack. It differs from a hiking back pack in that it is narrower, allowing easy movement, has no frame, can't carry as much, and sticks out from my back farther than a hiking backpack, if heavy can be a balance problem. Most of the time use the pack if I am traveling someplace with little expectation of using gear while walking/traveling. When I get someplace, I set the pack at my feet and it becomes a very useful storage/retreival system. To get at stuff while walking, I have to remove the pack and set it down. Not a good idea in many environments as small critters like to hitch a ride and use you for lunch.

Different situations require different solutions.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.