Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#49746 - 09/21/05 08:32 PM Victorinox Spartan Lite review
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I just picked one of these up tonight (saw it in Target, I really have to stay out of there), here are my thoughts:

The fit and finish is great, as usual. The clear red scales are a neat touch too. The tool selection I really like. If you don't need the scissors, saw, or file this is the best tool selection yet IMHO. It's simple and the tool is a nice pocketable size.

It has:
1. A main blade
2. A short blade
3. A philips screwdriver (not on the back, it folds out straight so it works like a real screwdriver, which is nice, especially since you usually have to choose philips or corkscrew in most SAK models)
4. An LED light
5. A can opener/small screwdriver
6. A bottle opener/large screwdriver
7. An awl on the back
8. A corkscrew
9. Glasses screwdriver in corkscrew
10. Tweezers
11. Toothpick

What I really wish is that they would put the pen and pin in it too like on the Cybertool series. I don't understand why they don't put that in all the tools of this size now. The Voyager Lite and Huntsman Lite both have them.
Here is the real bad part now. The light. It really stinks. It has no throw at all and puts out about the same amount of light as a match or lighter. It's a tiny 3mm white LED run on two CR1225 batteries. It isn't even water resistant. They definately could have went with something a little brighter. I wasn't expecting a Surefire here, but I was atleast looking for knock-off photon brightness. Sure, it is bright enough to read the fuse box or stop you from tripping over that chair in a completely dark room, but if you already carry a lighter (especially a zippo) then you already have just as good a light source.

All in all my suggestion is buy the SAK model you like and add a Photon to the keychain. But, if you are thinking about a Huntsman or Voyager, get the "Lite" version of them, since having both a philips and corkscrew in the same SAK is worth it and the Light is still better then nothing.

#49747 - 09/21/05 08:52 PM Re: Victorinox Spartan Lite review
Franciscomv Offline

Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thanks for the review.

I have a Huntsman Lite and the LED is quite bright, though. I agree it would be nice if it was waterproof, but I have no complaints about its brightness. I still carry a proper flashlight, the one on the SAK is just a back-up (and a cool gimmick).

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.