Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3482 - 01/16/02 01:47 AM New idea in fire starters
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Hey guys,<br><br>I just came across a new idea to do with cotton ball tinder. Can't remember exactly where I ran across it, it isn't my idea, but I think it's a good one. Instead of using Vaseline on the cotton balls, use Neosporin. Both are petroleum based and will help start a fire, but the Neosporin has other uses as well.<br><br>Just thought I'd pass that along.<br><br>Andy

#3483 - 01/16/02 04:41 AM Re: New idea in fire starters
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Andy,<br><br>Neat idea! Can't hurt and may well do some good. Here's a tip for what to do with the messy little buggers: Hang onto those fat plastic straws the next time you get a pop (soda) at a fast food joint. Rinse them out and let them dry. Cut a section of straw about an inch (25mm) long or a little longer, and stretch out a cotton ball until you can stuff it into the section of straw with something like a screwdriver. Butt one end of the straw against something (countertop) and pack it in tightly. Trim straw so that the cotton is centered with about 1/8 inch (3mm) extra room on either end. It's compact and pretty mess-free now. If you make your cotton balls by soaking in liquified petroleum jelly (and squeezing out excess), they are slick enough that one method of removal from the straw is to simply squeeze one end of the straw and the cotton slides out like toothpaste from a tube.<br><br>As an alternative for packing in a PSK, use a length of straw that conveniently fits in your container and pask as many cotton balls in it as you can - you should be able to get 3 or 4 in a section that fits the long dimension of an Altoids tin without any trouble.<br><br>I've tried heat-sealing the straws but it's too difficult for me so far. Would welcome any cheap techniques that work reliably. I was eyeing my wife's electric iron, but she caught me looking and took it away from me :-)<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3484 - 01/16/02 02:03 PM Re: New idea in fire starters
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
What about hot glue from a craft glue gun? Or a little dab of silicone sealent. I'd use aquarium sealent because it has not additives to prevent mildew (such as arsnic).

#3485 - 01/16/02 05:42 PM Re: New idea in fire starters
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Candle wax dripped on the ends might work. The wax might be useful to extend the burn time of the cotton. _________________________________________________ Proverbs 21:19

PROVERBS 21:19

#3486 - 01/16/02 08:34 PM Duct Tape
Anonymous
Unregistered

This may seem like really old news but Duct Tape that has been shredded will catch fire with sparks and the strips will burn for several minutes, plenty of time ti start a piece of kindling.<br><br>I had heard of this idea but I hadn't tried it till last night. Later i will try getting the Duct Tape wet and then try lighting it.

#3487 - 01/17/02 11:45 PM Re: New idea in fire starters
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have found that you can use an empty cassette tape case and a lighter to fuse plastic. Simply place the end you want to fuse outside of the tape case and close the case. Then light and snuff and pinch (be careful) the melted plastic till it bonds and is shaped nicely. Use an exacto to trim excess.

#3488 - 01/18/02 03:02 PM Re: New idea in fire starters
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would be real careful with snodog's idea. Having experimented with homemade Napalm in middleschool, I can tell you that a little accelerant and burning plastic is a bad idea (especially on unprotected nuckles, it's amazing how anybody survives childhood). If the cotton balls and petroleum jelly are already in the straw, be prepared to put it out REAL quick, and wear gloves and good protective clothing. Don't do it around anything else that is real flamable. It other words, if you use that method, try not to get a Darwin Award, be careful.

#3489 - 07/17/05 12:54 AM Re: New idea in fire starters
MGF Offline
dedicated member

Loc: Illinois
Should you lose your scraper in winter, you can also use an empty casette case to scrape your truck windows. Case won't fare well, but it will get usually get the job done.

#3490 - 07/17/05 02:22 AM Re: New idea in fire starters
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
The way I seal them is to hold the end of the straw with a pair of needle nose pliers and heat (don't light) the end with a lighter. When it is melted press the melted portion with the side of the lighter (assuming it is metal) or the scissors used to cut the straw.

#3491 - 07/17/05 05:45 AM Re: New idea in fire starters
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use silicon sealant. I pack lengths of straws with cotton, then use a hypo to inject petro jelly into the center of the straw (from the end, obviously) then seal them up. No mess on your other gear if they come 'uncapped' because the PJ is in the center of the tube.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Bingley), 519 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.