Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#42854 - 07/01/05 08:08 PM steripen
Rick Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Baltmore MD
Hello I just found this on TAD Gear. It looked interesting but kind of gimmicy, I'm not sure I want to trust my drinking water to a light bulb. Also is there a half life point where the light bulb needs to stay in longer because the batties are ranning down? Has anyone else tryed one of these.
http://www.steripen.com/video/video.html#

#42855 - 07/01/05 10:36 PM Re: steripen
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
Rick,

I always carry a SteriPen with me whenever I need more than the basic EDC kit. Although I still carry other methods of water purification as a backup, my preferred method of water purification is filtering through a MillBank Bag, if the water is not clear, and then the SteriPen. The MillBank Bag is used no matter what purification system I use if the water is not clear. The other chemical purification method are adversely affected by organic matter in the water. I don’t have to worry about cold water temperatures or waiting four hours for all the pathogens to be destroyed. When I or my dogs want water, we want it now. Check the other chemical methods of purification and see what pathogens are not effected or how long it takes to kill them, especially how much water temperature affects the time of purification. I also do not have to worry about adverse chemical reactions, expiration dates, or caustic contamination of my kit when the purification chemicals are expose due to leakage.

The SteriPen can also be used in places that have supposedly clean water without offending your domestic or foreign hosts whether at a private water source or in a restaurant. They do not have clue as to what you are doing.

The type of batteries you carry will determine how many purification treatments you get, Lithium results in 130 16 oz treatments, NiMH results in 100 16 oz treatments, and Alkaline results in 20-30 16 oz treatments. NiMH batteries are recommended for cold temperatures.

I have found the SteriPen on sale for less than $100 in the winter.

#42856 - 07/01/05 11:53 PM Re: steripen
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Rick,
I have one of these and have used it once when camping It operates in two modes purifying either up to 16 oz of water (48 second treatment) or between 16 or 32 oz (90 second treatment) of clear (filter out heavy sediment first) water at a time.

Manual states it will destroy:
Anthrax, Cholera, Cryptospordium, Dysentery, E. coli, Enteric Fever, Giardia, Hepatitis, Legionnaire's Disease, TB, Poliovirus, Salmonella, Staph Infection, Strep, Tetanus, Typhoid Fever.
It implies there there are others it will destroy that aren't listed.

This product is generaly well reviewed. However the manual states the pen should not be operated if the device itself is below 32 deg. F. (of course the water could be frozen too at that point). Though it does say you could warm the pen (perhaps keep it close to the body to wam it via body heat - my comment, not the manual's).

It also says that when batteries are low, the UV light will turn off and a red LED will flash for 8 seconds. This indicates last treatment was incomplete, helping avoid a low dose, situation (if one is paying attention).

Uses 4 AA Battteries with Approximate # of treatments per set of:

Lithium - 130 16oz treatments
NiMH - 100 16 oz treatments
Alkaline - 20 - 30 16 oz treatments

Also, cold weather may affect diminished battery life/capacity.

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#42857 - 07/02/05 06:10 AM Re: steripen
Rick Offline
Journeyman

Thanks very much for your imput. Maybe I'll look for a better price. I have a question though. What is a "millbag" I've not heard of it before?

#42858 - 07/02/05 06:17 AM Re: steripen
Rick Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Buckeye, The manual said it will kill Anthrax. Wow I hope to God I never have to drink that water...LOL Thanks again, for for taking the time to responed.

#42859 - 07/04/05 12:01 AM Re: steripen
bones Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western / Central Australia
Rick: the millbank bag is a canvas "sock" that is filled with suspect water and then the water is allowed to drain through the canvas into another container. It is a purely mechanical filter driven by gravity, and will remove organic solids, mud, and suspended clays, improving the water prior to chemical treatment. It was developed by the British Army (WW2?) and is named after the place it was developed, the School of Tropical Hygiene, in the London suburb of Millbank.

#42860 - 07/05/05 02:54 PM Re: steripen
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Rick,

Check these posts and responses for some additional information:

Steri-pen

Strei-pen

Keep in mind that the Strei-pen does not remove any chemical contamination. If you suspect the water you will be consuming may or does contain chemical contaminates, you should consider that non-activated charcoal filtering systems (or RO systems or chelating chemicals), which include the Steri-pen, MIOX or chemical biocides would not be effective in removal of these.

Pete

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 522 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
0 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.