Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#36131 - 01/06/05 12:38 AM Got a new toy!
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Bought a USAF Survival knife. Been after one for a while -- I know there are better knives out there, but I'm in love with it!

I like the size, and it fits my hand nicely. It was used, but in very good condition with only a few light scratches.

I've replaced the stone with a diamond stone of approximately the same size.

My only complaint is they used the cheapest most corrosion prone metal possible from what I understand: 1095 carbon. I'll try to keep it well oiled to prevent rusting and pitting though.

Anyway, this will be my BOB knife, as I'm not afraid of abusing it like I am with the sykes fairbairn. Too bad it has a 5" blade, otherwise I'd EDC it (legal length here is 4")

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's one of these (picture I found on the net, mine is in better condition)

#36132 - 01/06/05 01:48 AM Re: Got a new toy!
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Buy some quality leather dressing and liberally treat both sheath and handle. I use skidmores saddle creme. Apply a drop of heavy grease to the retaining snap to avoid rust and binding. Run paracord through the upper guard for a lanyard and auxiliary retaining loop. This is actually a safer position than a pommel hole. The blade won't swing all over the place. the Ontarios are a little softer Rockwell than Camillus, but have a less radical clip point. The point is prone to snapping o with abuse. People oversharpen and increase the edge angle on these. I've seen them reprofiled until the false groove disappeared and a briefly shiny blade turned into rust. Just keep a useable secondary bevel and the parkerising will protect the rest with normal care and a light wipe of oil. For the rough use this knife was intended for, a cigarette paper slicing scandi edge is not what you want or need. The sawback is actually just right for grooves that fit paracord.

#36133 - 01/06/05 02:44 AM Re: Got a new toy!
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Thanks for the comments and suggestions

After I apply leather dressing (first I've ever heard of something like that) does the leather feel any differently? I assume it's a protective coating of some sort.

#36134 - 01/06/05 04:12 AM Re: Got a new toy!
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, remember leather is skin that has been stabilised through chemical tanning. It can dry out just like our skin. A good dressing will make leather more pliable and protect it. The leather will change from the pale tan color to a darker honey. There are many formulas. Avoid olive oil which goes rancid, neatsfoot oil and any petroleum based formulas which rot cotton or linen threads. Some formulas have silicone for water proofing which can also react to some leathers. The good blends usually have beeswax and various lanolin formulas. Any good tack/feedstore will carry a good dressing.

#36135 - 01/06/05 04:30 AM Re: Got a new toy!
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Roger that, thanks!

#36136 - 01/07/05 07:03 PM Re: Got a new toy!
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Hey, I have the same knife! It's good that you posted - now I know how to take care of my own!

#36137 - 01/07/05 07:15 PM Re: Got a new toy!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love the AFSK too. I treated my sheath liberally as mentioned. I also made it into a kit knife by stretching two sections of bicycle innertube over the sheath. They make it possible to stuff all sorts of items under the rubber, compass, needle, firestarter, tinder, brass capsule of meds, etc. I also shoved the shafts of many hooks under the metal covering and stuck the points into the leather. If you cut two notches in the metal and leather below the stone pouch you can use them to wind on a good amount of waxed line or monofiliment.
I just can't leave well enough alone. Mac

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 534 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.