The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#24363 - 02/12/04 01:24 PM Radios in power outages
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Another thread here made me think of asking this

We see lots of folks talking about crank radios, or solar radios, but around here at least, most NEWS on the radio is on the AM band, usually on a strong signal station

Why not a crystal radio? No, not a cat whisker (yeah, those will work), but one made from a variable cap, and a diode, with a high Z earphone. No power needed at all

Thoughts? Anyone make one commercally?
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#24364 - 02/12/04 02:46 PM Re: Radios in power outages
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Xtal Set Society- sells some kits, lots of info.
Xtal Set Society

#24365 - 02/12/04 05:25 PM Re: Radios in power outages
indoorsman Offline
journeyman

Loc: Ohio
Certainly that's a viable choice, assuming:

You live close enough to an AM radio station and/or have the willingness and knowledge required to throw up a fairly long antenna. It's not rocket science by any stretch of the imagine, but it's definitely not something you'd want to try to figure out in the middle of an actual emergency. Anyone contemplating this technique should try it out well ahead of time; though this is more or less true of all our equipment. The plus side is that you'll have uninterrupted radio reception so long as the station is transmitting. I have a crystal radio in my living room that has been 'running' almost continuously for the last three years.

Finding a GOOD commercially produced crystal radio can be tough, though there are plenty of so-so receivers out there that will operate reasonably well if given a strong enough signal to work with. I believe Radio Shack still sells such a receiver. Another viable option is to roll your own. They're not particularly difficult to build and you'll learn a great deal about radio in the process.

#24366 - 02/12/04 06:35 PM Re: Radios in power outages
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Oh, I know it's not hard to roll your own - I've done it enough times to make no difference. What I was wondering is if someone made the classic 1n34/bar "antenna", variable cap version of one in a small, rugged case. All you need is the earphone and antenna then. Around here, signals are strong enough that I can get some stations with a set hooked to a set of rabbit ears, never mind if I hook it to the rooftop antenna. I can thow one together "at need" - I was thinking for "other folks". I usually have enough radios "good to go" - from scanners, to ham rigs, to commercial gear, all with backup power
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 504 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.