Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#23877 - 01/30/04 08:36 AM Pocket Bolo
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Here's an idea for a complementary weapon to the sling. A compact kit size Bolo. Most people would say how do you carry something as bulky and heavy as a bolo. Normally an effective bolo would be between 1 1/2 to 3 pounds. But here’s a way to carry one or just a couple of ounces. First make 3 draw string type pouches about the size of a fist. Use 3' or more of 550 paracord as the draw string for each bag. Tie a small loop [A bowline is the best for this] in one end and run the other end thru it. Then tie the other ends together. You now have the basic kit bolo.

To pack in your kit tuck each length of cord into its own bag up to the central knot. This is to minimize tangling of the cords. Then tuck 2 of the bags into the third bag. This gives you a nice compact package ready to tuck into a corner of your kit until it's needed.

You are now in the field and ready to use your bolo. It is time to add the weight needed to make this primitive weapon effective. Open the bags and fill them with material at hand. this can be sand, dirt, stones, and even packed snow or ice. Once loaded your bolo is now ready for the hunt.

Another way is you want to make a fully weighted one is if you have access to ocean fishing gear. They make large lead sinkers for deep-sea fishing. Take an 8 oz. to 1 lb. lead weight. Drill a hole [much easier to drill than a ball bearing that has been suggested] that will accommodate the cord you want to use. Chamfer the edges to minimize cord wear. Then just tie knots above and below the weight.

Although the idea of the pocket kit bolo is so you don't have the weight to carry before it is needed. The empty pouch idea that you fill with local material to add weight has other applications. Another example would be a cast net in your BOB. Why carry several pounds of lead weight on your back when it could be replaced with a few ounces of material. Then if you are in need of this efficient fishing tool just fill the pouches with local rock, sand etc. A gill net can be rigged the same way at the bottom. Then use sticks at the top for floats.

Hey I got a bad back saving weight is critical. So I look for ways to reduce weight. But I still want the best equipment to enhance my chances.

The bolo can effectively kill small game as is. For larger game it is used to entangle the legs allowing you to get close enough to use clubs, spears, or rocks to dispatch you game. It's now dinner time.

The one drawback to a bolo is that it is not very good in brush or trees. In open areas it gives you a range weapon that covers a target area about 6' across. As with any weapon it does require practice to be use well. Because of it's nature even urban dwellers can practice [play] with it in a public park. If the bags are filled with soft sand you can explain to the local gendarme that it's just a game while sharpening your skills

How to throw a Bolo. The easiest way to throw a three-string bolo is to hold 1 ball in the off hand. Grasp the central knot in the throwing hand. Start twirling at about a 45-degree angle. As it comes up to speed let the line slide through your fingers untill you are holding the third ball in the throwing hand. All the while you are sighting on the target. Raise the throwing hand quickly above your head. This brings the spin of the bolo horizontal disk. Release on target. This entire process takes less time than reading it. Usually it only takes 3 or 4 spins from start to finish. Many more and you are wasting time and energy. Although you can spin a few extra times in it is necessary to wait for a moving target to clear an obstruction.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#23878 - 01/30/04 06:17 PM Re: Pocket Bolo
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Raspy:

I may be wrong, but I think you are referring to a bola, as a bolo is usually one of those western string ties.

I know, picky, picky, sorry about that.

Bountyhunter

#23879 - 01/31/04 12:26 AM Re: Pocket Bolo
Anonymous
Unregistered

you mean I can take this thing off my neck?

#23880 - 01/31/04 07:38 AM Re: Pocket Bolo
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
It's spelled both ways. All depends on what literature you read. This is the way I learned it first.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#23881 - 02/02/04 09:59 PM Re: Pocket Bolo
Anonymous
Unregistered

I still wanna see this "Delbow" thing.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 614 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.