Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#3518 - 01/19/02 02:30 PM vehicles for survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

hello, i would like to hear evrybodys thoughts on the ideal survival vehical or vehicals....i currently use two, for my evryday use urban and offroad. a 85 toyota 4-runner and a 660 grizzly,this combo is by no means chaep but i have found it to be an outstanding combo for just evrything i like to do,hunting, fishing,4wheeling ,camping and work. i admit that the grizz is a big extra that in lite of the runner is probably unnessasary,but it doese do so many things better than the runner when it comes to offroad...the reasons for my choices is simple.....reliability and economy.....the weakpoint in any survival vehical is fuel economy,i live in a desert area very mountanus a big 4x4 may carry more on the street,highway or offroad but you arnt going to be passing many gas stations. ther are draw backs of corse to the economy side of the equation,parts arnt chaep and you are not surruonded by heavy steel in event of a wrek. in closing would like to see your thuoghts on this subject.....V.......

#3519 - 01/19/02 02:32 PM Re: vehicles for survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

dear lord, sorry about the spelling folks.

#3520 - 01/19/02 05:45 PM Re: vehicles for survival
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Sam,<br><br>Gee, that's impossible to answer - you've left too much to my imagination. I'm guessing you mean "bug-out" transportation and I'm further guessing that you're thinking about going solo... from an urban area to a "wilderness" area. If you're asking a "TEOTWAWKI" question, this is the wrong forum, 'tho I guess you could ask to move the thread to the Campfire forum (that's up to Doug).<br><br>What event(s) are you planning to survive and what is your general plan? How long (duration) are you planning to "survive" and how do your wheels figure into that? Sounds like you're thinking of the Toy as "stage 1" and the ATV as "stage 2", but again, I'm guessing. How do you haul the ATV? Trailer?<br><br>The simple answer to your question is to figure out what you need to do and then figure out how to best use what you have to accomplish that. Just like any survival situation.<br><br>Don't forget walking. On three occasions so far, we've avoided being thrust into a SAR survival situation on late hunts in the Rockies by simply walking in and walking/snowshoeing out instead of doing some macho nonsense with our 4wds and/or ATVs. Hundreds of others were not so fortunate, especially one year - many heliocopter evacs and abandoned vehicles and equipment. Sometimes walking is best. (Or horses, in Chris K's case <grin>)<br><br>If you can frame your question a bit to narrow it down, I'll offer my opinions for your consideration. For example, does your Toy have Birfield joints? If so, do you have the capability to repair them when they break? It's usually an essential capability with desperate "off-road" use of a Toy, because they don't break at a convenient time, but no big deal if you're prepared for it. This may be irrelevant, depending on what you're planning for.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3521 - 01/19/02 07:45 PM Re: vehicles for survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have always considered a survival vehicle something that can get me from point a to point b with ease and economy and also considering that roads may be out, debris blocking the road and or traffic jams .....etc etc <br><br>I have made my last ditch get me home or to my safehave vehicle a KLR-650 touring street/dirt bike. My observations of the California earthquakes and Hurricanes of SE coast's was the reason for my choice. Also I could store the bike in my storm shelter and if Tornado etc etc wiped out my above ground garage I had the KLR which is reported to get 75 mpg but my best mileage has only been about 65 mpg. With it's 6.5 gallon fuel tank that is good range for getting to and from with out fuel stations working or available.......<br><br><br> As to a a four wheeled (albeit 2 wheel drive) vehicle I have stuck with the VW in a Baja Bug configuartion with the understanding that I can rebuild the engine in my living room if need be, air cooled, will go cross country in most cases just fine and with custom fuel tanks the proper small general purpose powered engine will get great mileage for day to day requirements for travel in a "survival" situation.<br><br>Albeit my Toyota land cruiser is my go everywhere ride, it is a gas guzzler and mechanicaly complex to repair (or so I hear as it hasn't ever broke down on me yet :o) . To use it when all about you is dangerous and lacking would exhaust what little fuel you have left IMHO. <br><br>Where as any trip out during natural or man made disasters IMHO should be limited in the first place if I had to bug out to safer digs versus stay in a properly prepaired home I'd take the VW with a trailer holding my KLR and spare fuel if at all possible.<br><br>Also don't forget to consider the basic schwinn cruiser bicycle with the ballon tires with a couple of wire baskets on it. Starts every time andwill get ya around your small town. My best rides on a bicycle allowed me to travel 130 miles a day.......<br><br>KLR-650's VW basic bugs without the frills and a good basic bicycle are my "emergency / survival vehicles if I should have to leave my home/safehaven during times of need.........<br><br>Stay Safe.....

#3522 - 01/19/02 08:21 PM Re: vehicles for survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

Roger what you have to say for walking. I always have rope for belying in my car kit, and unless I'm on them, once we have snow on the ground, my snowshoes are in my car. I figure I can cut a staff in a few seconds, and while the digest maps aren't the best, their contors and details are good enough for way finding if I REALLY need to use them for that.

#3523 - 01/19/02 08:37 PM Re: vehicles for survival
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Sounds like you've thought through your concerns, inventoried what you have available, and decided how to use what you've got. That's kinda what my point was. Your motorcycle would be unsuitable for my local conditions part of the year and in any event would not accomodate my family of 6 + two large dogs. So we have different vehicles that meet our needs, including our routine day-to-day needs. Things are quite a bit more complicated with multiple vehicles, multiple daily routines, etc. Our planning is in constant revision as status changes occur - for example, all can drive any of our wheeled vehicles, but this past week I gained one additional licensed driver so now he is routinely in daily command of a vehicle. Next year, the youngest will move from passenger to driver status... so thinking ahead and deciding how to deal with possible scenarios, as you have done, is where it all starts.<br><br>There are basic, general observations that I will make about BO vehicles that fall into three general categories: 1)Maintenance; 2) Habits; 3)Auxiliary items carried on-board.<br><br>Examples in each category:<br><br>1) Keep your BO vehicle maintained in good operating condition at all times<br><br>2) Keep your fuel tank(s) full; habitually re-fuel at whatever your BO critical point is or 1/2 tank, whichever leaves the greatest amount of fuel on board at all times. Examples - if your BO plan realistically will consume 3/4 of a fuel load, never allow your fuel tank to dip below 3/4 in your day-to-day routine. If your BO plan requires 1/4 of a fuel load, never let it drop below 1/2. Those of us with trucks and bed-carried extra fuel CAN get away with a little less regard for this, but it's still a good habit.<br><br>3) Self-recovery items, basic pioneer tools, critical high-probability repair parts and the tools and knowledge to use them, vehicle survival or emergency kits, etc.<br><br>I will argue that things in categories 1 and 2 cost nothing additional. Category three is usually budget, environment, and reality constrained. Doug has many good suggestions on this site, which is a great place to start.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3524 - 01/19/02 11:09 PM Re: vehicles for survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

hello again ,im new here so mabe i should have prefaced my question;survival is to me is an evryday mindset encompassing urban,wilderness,economic and health......mr.ayers you asked what events are you planning to survive? my reply is any and evrything that comes my way in the corse of this life. how long duration are you planning to survive? my reply is as long as it takes to return to some kind of normalcy in life. my wheells are an aid in the things i do, working ,hunting,fishing.. in the event of a catastrphie were leaving the area i and my wife live is necessary then we are prepard to do so with the equipment to live out of our vehicle anywhere.i am still working on spare parts for my gear.....but if we had to leave now i am confident we would make it to were ever we had to go and make it there aswell.,but there is allways the unexpected isnt there........thats were survival starts preparring for the unexpected......this is a good forum as time goes on i hope to make myself clear on what has worked for me in the past and learn from all of you........V........

#3525 - 01/20/02 02:08 AM Re: vehicles for survival
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Sam,<br><br>I delayed answering your post to ponder for a awhile its pertaince(sp?) to this forum. Your answer to Tom's question, and some of Tom's comments, got me to this....<br><br>Keep your vehicle maintained! The closest to a bad (as in, could have died) survival situation I ever found myself in was when I was 18. Fresh out of AIT and at my first duty assignment for Uncle Sam, I bought my first car. Used of course. I had a long weekend and decided to drive to Ogden, Utah to visit some friends. Did I check the oil in my "new" car? No. Did I check the tires? No. Did I check anything? No. Forty miles north of Green River, Utah, on US 6, I had a blow out. No problem, I thought, I'll change the tire and be on my way. Only problem was.....there was no spare. Much swearing followed. Most directed at the used car place, some at myself. Today that would be reversed; I should have checked. It was southern Utah (desert---no shade, no water), it was July (hot). It was 11:00AM (hot and getting hotter). I had no water. I was already dehydrated (I had drank a bit the night before). Two hours passed before I decided to try flagging down help. Another two hours and 26 cars passed before anyone would even slow down for me. ...the Utah state trooper was concerned. He took me straight to the hospital where I was treated for heat exhaustion. I spent the rest of my money getting the tire fixed and buying a spare. I didn't make it to Ogden. The moral of the story should be obvious.<br><br>Andy

#3526 - 01/20/02 02:21 AM Re: vehicles for survival
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Sam,<br><br>Actually, that's enough info for me to venture some comments. Did you see my post about Maintenance, Habits, and Additional Items? I don't think I could add much more than personal preferences to the vehicle kits that Doug has taken the time to suggest on the website. If you are interested, I would be happy to relate the other sorts of useful things that I suggest you might want to carry in/on BOTH your vehicles, based on my experiences - many learned "the hard way" <grin>.<br><br>Your vehicles sound fine to me; better than many of us probably have if they are in good working order. Disclaimer: Our current "fleet" includes three 3/4 ton Fords ranging from 77 HD to 2001 SD, a 1 ton Ford Van, and a few varied sedans I mostly don't consider suitable for BO (except the VW Fox). I've never owned a Toyota truck, and our ATVs have always been Honda. So get a grain of salt ready for the following comments...<br><br>First, your Toyota: IRRC, your '85 has the more desirable running gear, particularly with regard to the axles. I'm not a Toyota expert, so I can only repeat what little I've observed/heard. They are generally regarded as being reliable and tough little trucks - my Dad's '85 certainly is. I believe you probably have the same power train my Dad has - a carburated 4 cyl (don't remember exact displacement) - is that correct? Dad and I have taken his (2wd, btw, but it has a Warn winch on it) about everywhere in NA and the only trouble we ever had was a minor fuel system problem: 1) water in the gas (Canada), followed shortly by 2) a nearly totally obstructed fuel filter. We did NOT replace it with a factory fuel filter - a much larger unit with a water trap and drain was what we put on it after we got back to civilization. Out there, we had to eliminate the fuel filter with a piece of copper tubing and twice dump water out of the carb bowl. Since I had trouble with water in the gas EVERY time I transited Canada to Alaska, all my vehicles from that era (I still drive two of them) were "modified" in the field with an ice pick - I hammered a hole in the low point of the gas tank and plugged it with a sheet metal screw shoved thru a scrap of rubber (piece of hose used as a gasket) so I could drain water out of the tank, should it appear. The solution on my Dad's Toyota is more elegant. Dad's truck has 175,000+ miles on it now and it simply has not ever had any other problem, period. So if yours is in decent mechanical shape, it should be a good multi-purpose vehicle.<br><br>Birfield joints break. That's a fact of small Toyota 4wd life, near as I can tell. I have never personally fixed one, but I have seen it done in the woods. If you know all about them, you're set. Otherwise, you might want to look into that - possible carry a spare and the tools to change it out. If so, a practice session in the driveway probably beats doing it for the first time "out there". I don't really know anymore about that, but perhaps someone else on the forum does and can speak to it with some authority.<br><br>My only comment about your ATV is "Be careful!" I bought my first one in January 1983 (Honda Big Red & still have it), and I have the aches, pains, and previously broken bones to prove it. It seems that the more you "need" an ATV, the more trouble presents itself. We've stuck with Hondas, but as far as I have heard, the Grizz is reliable. Just be careful... I've become very unenamored of ATVs off "road", although in the past I have taken some incredible cross-terrain long distance trips on them into truely remote areas, including swimming rivers with my Big Red and submarining rivers with 4 wheeled Honda ATVs (all done legally, I hasten to add). <br><br>I feel that ATVs extend one's ability to get farther up some cruddy "jeep trail" or old logging road, but these days I'd rather walk than take mine off-road. Just passing on some hard-earned experience... and a little environmental guilt, I suppose. Oh, one other comment: strictly opinion, but I feel strongly that the lack of a low range is NOT compensated for with bigger engines. The older Hondas with low range are better than the later ones sporting larger engines - displacement is no substitute for the low-speed hairy situation control that a low range gives one. If you don't have low range on your Grizz, be extra extra careful... We will not get rid of our older Hondas for that one reason.<br><br>Having said that - have you set yourself up to pull your trailer with your ATV? If you lose your Toyota and still have "road" that you need to travel, that's a very slick way to haul in more things than you can pile on the ATV, especially if you are riding double. In fact, I feel that done correctly, a passenger is safer in a trailer than riding double - easier to bail out (uphill side) if something bad happens. We've had good experiences with ATVs used as "trailer tractors" on crappy roads. A come-along and a good length of small diameter galvanized aircraft cable can be very useful with or without the trailer. I do not recomend nylon rope, even static line, for use with a come-along unless that's all you've got - too much danger; even static line stores energy and can release it with lethal results. Cable is less convenient but safer.<br><br>Last comment - I suggest you also be prepared to walk. Sometimes that's really the best way; sometimes that's the only way.<br><br>Hope that helps.<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3527 - 01/20/02 09:35 PM Re: on a related note
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
I'm sure a lot of the people on this board already do this, carry a spare key to the vehicle you are in somewhere on your person. It's not exactly survival gear but it's one of the things that when you need it, you need it. And yes i have had to use mine once.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.