Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#20550 - 10/25/03 03:41 AM Schrade Simon and CMG Sonic
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

I picked up two new gadgets this week; a Schrade Simon knife and and CMG Sonic LED flashlight. Impressions below:

Schrade Simon

I really like the form factor, especially the mini-carabiner to attach to keychain or lanyard. Two drawbacks I can see: It is difficult to find a comfortable way to grip the knife where you feel you have it held securely. The other con is that the locking mechanism isn't very strong. It is relatively easy to overcome the locking mechanism with just the fingers of the hand you're holding the knife with. Those complaints aside, the Simon will make a nice backup to my Micra, and provide a blade for "rough duties" like opening cartons or slicing cordage. As a side note, the Simon comes with a great little mini-primer on how to sharpen a small blade, written on the back of the warrranty

CMG Sonic

Okay, I'll admit it - I don't own a ARC AAA, but I very much want one, if for no other reason than it seems to be a prerequisite to being a full-fledged member of this forum and the CandlePower forum. ;-) I'm very impressed with the Sonic, and it has become my EDC LED. I wear it clipped to a belt loop with a small carabiner for quick deployment in dark parking lots, under desks, and in the woods. The LED produces a smooth, artifact-free beam that has a narrower focus than other mini-LED lights, since the LED is somewhat recessed into the barrell. Brightness is approximately the same as the Infinity Ultra Task Light. Does anyone have both the Sonic and the ARC AAA to discuss a comparison?

#20551 - 10/25/03 04:48 PM Re: Schrade Simon and CMG Sonic
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

Generally I stay away from Schrade due to low quality, by that particular key chain knife looks nice.

I have a SOG cross-cut on one chain and a nice Cold Steel on the other chain.

Thanks.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.