Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#18776 - 08/27/03 08:14 PM Opinions on STREAMLIGHT BATONLITE?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I saw this at click here. If anyone has this, would you tell me what you think of it? Being that I like having my flashlights close at hand, is this allowed on your person when traveling by air?

#18777 - 08/27/03 08:42 PM Re: Opinions on STREAMLIGHT BATONLITE?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aside from the fancy machining on the sides it looks a lot like a mag-lite solitare with an LED replacement module. I suspect that the less aggressive looking solitaire would be just as effective as a Kubaton (tried this and it worked just fine) while looking, well ...... , less aggressive.

AFAIK, the solitaire is allowed on the plane. I haven't heard of any problems with it nor have I had any.

#18778 - 08/28/03 01:34 PM Re: Opinions on STREAMLIGHT BATONLITE?
Craig Offline

The Solitaire is very small, though. I think I'd grab my AA Mini Maglite. But I think the BATONLITE is cool looking.

#18779 - 08/28/03 02:03 PM Re: Opinions on STREAMLIGHT BATONLITE?
chuuucky Offline
Stranger

Loc: southern CA
Craig, you are correct, the BATONLITE is much larger than the SOLITAIRE, more on the order of a typical kubaton after which it is likely modeled. I own a BATONLITE and use it as edc with my keys and sometimes the tiny Leatherman Micra attached. While I have my doubts about the screeners at one's point of departure giving it a pass (I have always just checked it through within other luggage) it seems to pass casual security with PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. who notice it and only rarely wonder aloud what is that "thing" on your keys(?). My straight-faced answer always is that it is my flashlight I use to chivalrously illuminate the way for my wife whenever needed. The unit is very well constructed. I have carelessly dropped it numerous times without serious penalty. Slight damage has ocurred on the edge of the lens portion, but IIRC, it is constructed of very tough Lexan and any damage could be viewed as merely patina.

#18780 - 08/28/03 02:33 PM Re: Opinions on STREAMLIGHT BATONLITE?
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
Streamlight makes good products. I use their 3xAAAA (yes, that's quad-A) LED Stylus almost daily.

At 5.5", the BatonLite's considerably bigger than a Mag Solitaire, and only about 1/4" shorter than an AA MiniMagLite. N-cells will be more expensive to replace, and harder to find than the ubiquitous AA or AAA cells, though with an LED, you should get better battery life. (The AAAAs mentioned above require a trip to Radio Shack, or are mail-ordered, rather than being able to buy in bulk at Sam’s or Costco. Ns are usually found at photo counters, like DL123s.)

I have no doubts that it can be used as a yawara or Kubotan--that's implicit in the name "BatonLite". My only question would be an impact on the lens end--it appears that the lexan extends to the edges of the body, but that may just be my perception of the photos.

The AA MiniMagLite was explicitly designed to be used as a Kubotan when necessary, both as impact and pressure/pain compliance tool. I have the manual written for its use squirrelled away somewhere.

Just emphasize that it’s a flashlight; that it can have auxiliary uses is just a bonus.

Nobody’s banned flashlights yet, anyway.

David

#18781 - 08/28/03 03:11 PM Re: Opinions on STREAMLIGHT BATONLITE?
Craig Offline

Screeners would probably not pass an actual kubaton, because it would be classified as a "weapon." The Batonlight, however, is a flashlight. It just so happens it is a very tough flashlight that could be used for defense, just as your average D-cell Maglite could. This is a reasonable thought process, correct?

#18782 - 08/28/03 03:20 PM Re: Opinions on STREAMLIGHT BATONLITE?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Few things that are done by regulation, rule, "the book" are allowed to be reasonable. To be reasonable one must be both intelligent and flexible. Due to the need to higher thousands of security screeners quickly, intelligence is not a given. Due to the need for consistancy in enforcement in order to reduce litigation costs flexibility is not allowed. By the book, Flashlights are allowed. By the book, weapons are not allowed. Properly describe your items sir? There was a discussion on EDC knives earlier that OldBaldGuy weighed in on on this exact topic. If you have a jacknife in your pocket to spread your peanut butter you don't have a concealed weapon - even if it is a custom one hand opener. If it has serrations it must be for cutting your seat-belt after you car went into the surf. If you admit that you carry it for self defense you are a new class of dangerous criminal carrying a concealed weapon. That is just for dealing with getting a ticket on the freeway!

If I have mis-rememberd the old thread or attributed things incorrectly to OBG I apologize.

#18783 - 08/28/03 04:15 PM Re: Opinions on STREAMLIGHT BATONLITE?
chuuucky Offline
Stranger

Loc: southern CA
While you and I agree that what you have presented as "a reasonable thought process", yes, IMHO, it may draw into question that the screener population would generally see things as such when examining the batonlite.

#18784 - 08/28/03 05:07 PM Re: Opinions on STREAMLIGHT BATONLITE?
Craig Offline

But the Solitaire is much shorter, is it not?

#18785 - 08/28/03 05:15 PM Re: Opinions on STREAMLIGHT BATONLITE?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seems that this is much more akin to the AA maglite than the solitaire. I missed the length specs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.