Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#8882 - 09/04/02 04:41 PM Possible PSK container
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone looked at the *NEW* Mint Skittles container, that can be found in the checkout lanes of K-Mart, as to potential use as a PSK. They are made of a semi-transparent, relatively durable plastic, with a *full-exposure* flip-open top on one end.<br><br>Dimensions are 4 1/2 inches (11.4 cm) tall, and 1 5/8 (4 cm) by 3/4 inch (2 cm) in cross-section (oval in shape), and slightly tapered from top to bottom.<br><br>It looks like the top, after filling the *tube*, could be sealed with a little Shoe Goop around the recessed lip under the lid, and should remain *tacky* enough to sevre as a water-resistant (proof ?) seal, but not seriously hinder opening.<br><br>The reason I am intriged by this container is the facts that it is semi-transparent (can see at a glace most of the contents), longer in one dimension than other *containers*, which may allow for inclusion of items that other containers exclude, and slips easily in and out of certain kinds of pockets.<br><br>If anyone else gives this a try, or has any ideas, please posts your thoughts.<br><br>The only problem so far, with winter approaching, is I can't get my snowshoes inside the thing... :-)<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Prospector

#8883 - 09/04/02 05:29 PM Re: Possible PSK container
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im drooling over this one.<br><br>http://www.ilwifurco.com/Hudsonbaybox.htm

#8884 - 09/04/02 05:57 PM Re: Possible PSK container
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have you contacted the company and gotten dimensions on the assorted boxes they carry? I saw these on ebay and meant to contact them, just never got around to it.<br><br>

#8885 - 09/04/02 06:08 PM hudson bay tinder box
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did see the measurments somewhere once. If I remember correctly, it was around 4 1/2 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide. I never saw a height measurment that satisfied me. I saw a measurment that said something like 1 1/4 inches or something like that, but I personally think that included the magnifying glass. That means that there is not much height inside. <br><br>From my lack of knowledge, I am assuming (there's that word again) around 3/4 inch height. I will probably buy one and find out when I get some expendable cash. It is just too neat for me to pass up. <br><br>I havent figured out who the original manufacturer is yet. A lot of places seem to have these. It seems to be popular with the re-enactment crowd.

#8886 - 09/04/02 06:22 PM Re: hudson bay tinder box
Anonymous
Unregistered

I missed this thread, somehow.<br><br>I used to have one of these, a long time ago... traded it for a tinderbox that was more correct for the period I was interested in. From what I remember, 3/4" without the glass sounds about right. I'm pretty sure they're made by Ted Cash, Cash Mfg. Co. They've been around forever, and in the Dixie catalog since the 70's at least. A little heavy for my taste.<br>

#8887 - 09/04/02 06:36 PM Re: Possible PSK container
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, it's a FEW dollars more than the Skittles container, but these REALLY trip my trigger. I plan to buy two; one for 2 SF123 batteries and one for a micro kit. Check it out at http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/tools/trekker.html

#8888 - 09/04/02 08:20 PM Re: hudson bay tinder box
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry a round tin that has a diameter of 4" and a usable height of 1 1/4" with the lid on. When I tape the two pieces together, it's waterproof. I carry a bed of tinder, a small tin of char cloth and my striker inside. The tin on the left is the one I carry. The other is about the size of my char cloth container.<br><br>http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/archer071/tins001.jpg

#8889 - 04/15/03 06:18 PM Re: Possible PSK container
hillbilly Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Northeast Arkansas (Central Ar...
I dip, therefore, I have many plastic snuff cans. I use them for carrying items in my black powder hunting pack, as well as in my PSK. They are nearly waterproof, I have canoed all day and gotten wet yet the tobacco is unharmed.

#8890 - 04/16/03 01:13 PM Re: Possible PSK container
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I always ordered my pipe tobacco in bulk or pouches. I wanted to try a new type of smoke so not to get stuck with it I ordered it in a tin. Those things are great. They have a good seal and are air tight. They are almost twice as toll as Altoids tin and little bigger. Since they are round they fit everywhere. Every manufacturer has a difrerent depth on the tins but diameter stays about the same.

http://www.pipesforless.com/pipetobacco.html

Matt

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 564 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.