Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7249 - 07/02/02 02:53 PM Survival/Emergency Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like a general opinion of what folding and fixed blade knives are the best for daily carry in and around citiesfor emergencies/survival situations. I personally carry a CRKT Ryan model 7 folder and a CRKT Polkowski Kasper fixed blade.

#7250 - 07/02/02 05:47 PM Re: Survival/Emergency Knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Your knives are just fine.The criteria for a serviceable knife is well explained in Doug's article. Everything else falls under the edge of personal choice , where sharp and dull becomes that which appeals to each of us. ;O)

#7251 - 07/05/02 03:53 AM Re: Survival/Emergency Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have both the knives you mentioned. The Ryan just doesn't fit my hand very well, but I love the PK fixed blade. Used it yesterday to cut several hundred pogies for chum, and it was still sharp enough to clean my first big cobia. Great knife.

#7252 - 07/05/02 07:02 AM Re: Survival/Emergency Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Art, much appreciated. I need you to please help me here....what is a pogie? and what is a cobia? It sounds like they could be a sort of fish? I have not heard of those before. I am also very happy with the performance of both knives. Thanks once again.

#7253 - 07/05/02 07:54 PM Re: Survival/Emergency Knives
inkslngr Offline
Journeyman

Loc: AZ
Spent two weeks in Cameron, LA one time. Went by a 'pogie plant' near there. That was twenty years ago and the smell is still stuck in my sinuses(LOL). A pogie is apparently some kind of trash fish used for bait and fertilizer.

#7254 - 07/08/02 05:40 PM Re: Survival/Emergency Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pogie is the local (georgia and South CArolina) name for menhaden, a very common bait fish that is also caught commercially for oil and animal food uses. Cobia is a great game fish, white meat, very tasty and flakey. Fun to fight on light tackle. The key to my comment was that the knife was sued for hundreds of slices through the bait, slicing scales and backbone into chunks, and still was quite serviceable for filleting dinner. Very few of my knoves can do that.

#7255 - 07/08/02 05:43 PM Re: Survival/Emergency Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very few people forget that smell. However, not a trash fish as it is one of the most important along East Coast from an economic standpoint. The stocks are crucial as bait for most of the recreationally caught fish along the coast; also millions of pounds caught, as you suggest, for fertilizer and feed purposes.

#7256 - 07/09/02 04:56 PM Re: Survival/Emergency Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really like the knives for SyderCo. You may want to check them out<br><br>http://www.spyderco.com

#7257 - 07/10/02 08:45 PM Re: Survival/Emergency Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

A Survival/Emergency knife is any knife on you at the time of the survival/emergency scenerio. just chose a good pocket knife that best suites your needs, your body and your sense of style. There are SOOOO many good knives out there for these situations, but are you going to have them on you when the time calls? most likley not. a good comfortable pocket knife maid by any repuitable manafacture will suffice. if you have the money get a custom one, if not, visit the bladeforums and post your recquirements for a knife you will be overwhelmed with information

#7258 - 07/22/02 07:56 AM Re: Survival/Emergency Knives
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
I currently carry five when I'm downtown:<br><br>Victorinox Midnite MiniChamp II (for most utility needs--it's non-threatening)<br><br>Victorinox Money Clip (mostly to hold cash, but it never hurts to have another knife)<br><br>Gerber Harsey Air Ranger II (3.875 liner lock, sturdy, good looking and flat--easy to conceal and not so expensive that I'm afraid to use it/damage it if I have to!)<br><br>plus somewhere nearby (generally in my briefcase):<br><br>Leatherman Wave with Tool Adapter Kit<br>Benchmade 100 River and Rescue knife (or Myerchin A508 rigging set)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.