Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#7683 - 07/22/02 02:57 AM Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anybody know where i can find a HIGH QUALITY hollow handled survival knife. You can get 15 dollar el cheepos all day long. I figure if im going to cary a knife in my survival pack ( which i obviously am) then i might as well get one that offers storage space for more goodies. Anybody?

#7684 - 07/22/02 03:03 AM Re: Knives
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

www.chrisreeve.com Add a length of inner tube to the handle for a cold/hotweather grip.

#7685 - 07/22/02 03:39 AM Re: Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, CRK is really your only choice here. Check out the Mountaineer or Sable models. <br><br>These come in well-made leather sheaths, but depending upon climate, I would go with a Kydex sheath, which can be ordered from Blade-Tech Industries or Dozier Knives.<br><br>Another option for the budget conscious would be the Cold Steel Bushman. While roughly finished, it's made from a single piece of good steel.

#7686 - 07/22/02 06:25 AM Re: Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an Aitor Bucanero which has been subjected to the work an axe would normally do and it stood up just fine to the job at hand. I don't believe they make that model any more but the Aitor Jungle King should do fine if you don't want to go crazy on spending.

#7687 - 07/22/02 07:45 AM Re: Knives
Anonymous
Unregistered

>>Yep, CRK is really your only choice here. Check out the Mountaineer or Sable models. <<<br><br>CRK is arguably the strongest choice, but I'm not sure I'd go so far as to argue that it's the only choice. The original Randall Model 18 is still available, is a fine example of the type, and has some advantages. It was much sought-after in the latter years of the war in Vietnam and probably inspired the whole Rambo knife thing (via David Morell's novel, "First Blood", better than the movie).<br><br>http://www.randallknives.com/survival.asp<br><br>Randall lets you do your own handle wrap. I owned one for a number of years, but let it go. Not my cup of tea, but I can't imagine one failing in use, either.<br><br>Also, since the type is no longer popular, mint/unused condition Al Mar versions turn up regularly at pretty good prices. <br><br>FWIW, Jimmy Lile is still making versions close to those he made for Stallone and the movies, and I hear they are high-quality. Though the design might be a little more dramatic than practical, these are NOT the self-destructing el-cheapo commercial versions you see in every shopping mall knife shop. Might get you laughed at, but let's face it- that's fashion as much as anything.<br><br>http://www.lileknives.com/rambo.html<br><br>I'm sure there are some other custom makers still offering them as well, and I'd bet there are some pretty good prices on mint/unused specimens at shows.<br><br>P.S. I see that Jimmy Lile has passed away- too bad, I didn't know. Apparently "Lile Knives" carries on. I hope with the same quality, but I cannot say.

Edited by Presumed_Lost (07/22/02 12:31 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.