Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#800 - 06/13/01 07:23 PM Re-thinking basic kit
NAro Offline
Addict

I just returned from a survival-like situation which could have been much worse.<br><br>Thrown from my horse on a back country trip in the Gallatin National Forest (o.k., we'll call it a non-traditional dismount!). I have the following observations:<br>1) The survival kits in tins, in my fanny pack, made a perfect imprint on my butt and lower back. But the kit was intact.<br>2) You can put your patella back in place by yourself.<br>3) Cracked ribs hurt more later than now... go ahead and try to ride back to camp.<br>4) Vicodin and other codeine-based pain killers are insufficient, at least in my circumstance. In the future I'll have some of the real stuff on board. Probably mepergan or demerol, but something very strong. One can ignore minor (ibuprofin -level) pain. But there IS a place for a pain killer that will almost knock you out and allow you to sleep.<br>5) My kits are now wrapped in Coban (also called Vet Wrap). This is a self-sticky latex based ace-bandage type wrap. It is good tinder, it keeps joints in place, it makes you think your ribs are going to stay in your chest, and it can be re-used. It seems to stick and hold wound dressings when wet, also. <br><br>As the cowboys say: "you never know what a horse is going to do... and they don't neither!. Its that old, gentle one that'll kill you.<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by NAro on 06/13/01 01:47 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

#801 - 06/13/01 11:14 PM Re: Re-thinking basic kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It sounds like your mount at least stuck around.What knife do you carry for trailridiing? I just replaced my Spyderco with the new neck Knife by Myerchin.If you have to cut a cincha or latigo it is superb. I never ever carry anything near my waist riding! This is how William the Conqueror died. I saw a huge trophy buckle lacerate the proud wearer's liver when the horse reared at a ghost.A surplus,wool blanket @ 5lbs. is very usefull.Horses don't mix well with space blankets.You can improvise hobbles,cinches,blinders and its fire retardant.I shove my survival items in my vest and chap pockets,with the knife and whistle hung under my neck ragg.I hope you've practiced 'kicking out' of a hung stirrup.I use split reins so I wont get tangled up with a pencil bosal as a halter.I tuck tthe mecate into my waistband and can grab it if thrown.A lightstick spun on a string is a very effective night signal and my local coyotes and mountain lions shy away from the sight and sound(I attach a small bullroarer to the string.)<br><br>

#802 - 06/14/01 02:19 PM Re: Re-thinking basic kit
NAro Offline
Addict

Yeah Chris, the horse stuck around and got me back to camp. So I didn't eat him. You make some good points I never thought about: I have been wearing a fanny pack with a small custom sheath knife and Kydex sheath attached. That's because I had another horse-rider separation several years ago and he took my gear, rifle, etc. with him for a day. So I started carrying the fanny pack with survival kit, water, and knife. But I can re-think that. I have several "vest" options. I do also wear a neck knife.<br>Yep, I use split reins. And yep, I've kicked out of the stirrups before. Just in time, once!<br><br>The bigest survival and horse problem I have now is my wife. I'm going back into the same area in Oct. on an elk hunt (if I get over my injuries and my scare of horses in time). My wife guarantees I won't survive the trip. She's going to kill me if I try to do this. But I'm trying to get my outfitter to get me a burro to ride so both of my feet stay close to the ground.<br><br>Thanks for your input and posts. They're always helpful.<br><br>

#803 - 07/01/02 06:31 PM Re: Re-thinking basic kit
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Chris: would you elaborate on the bullroarer? What's it made of, what shape, where on the line do you put it, etc?<br><br>Bear

#804 - 07/01/02 07:15 PM Re: Re-thinking basic kit
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bullroarers look like a miniature surfboard carved of wood and the string is tied on one end. These are the traditional signalling devise used by the people in Australia. If you ever saw that "classic" movie Crocodile Dundee2, he was spinning one to get help. Ill have to find my websource here in Los Angeles.

#805 - 07/02/02 09:55 PM Re: Bullroarers
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Chris,<br><br>Is it neccessary to round the edges of the bullroarer? What about making the whole thing concave? I've viewed a few online; some seem to have the edges rounded, some do not. Some seem to be concave in profile, some do not. Oddly (or maybe not), all of the ones I viewed are labeled as being 16" in length. Can they be smaller? Larger?<br><br>Thanks, and sorry for all of the pesty questions.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#806 - 07/02/02 11:34 PM Re: Bullroarers
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mine is 8" long and had rounded edges. It is the only one I have direct experience with. I imagine the different shapes will create a different sound as they pass through the air. You are supposed to give them a light axial spin before swinging the actual string.The twisting of the rope will make it progressively shorter until it again unwinds, increasing the pitch of the note. In open country they can be heard for extremely long distances. Like the whistle, the sound really stands out in the natural world.

#807 - 07/03/02 01:01 AM Re: Bullroarers
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Chris,<br><br>Thanks for the info. While waiting for a storm to pass this evening I carved a small bullroarer. It was about 5" long and made of pine. Probably too light as it was hard to spin. It did, however, make a neat noise which the kids enjoyed. I did round the edges...sort of, my whittling skills aren't what they should be. A larger, heavier one is planned for the weekend. Actually, I hope to fit it in, as I'll be visiting friends in Illinois.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#808 - 07/03/02 06:01 AM Re: Re-thinking basic kit
akraven Offline
Stranger

Hey NAro<br> You might try using Ibuprofen in perscription level doses. You can check in a PDR to verify but Ibuprofen is used in doses up to 800mg in prescription levels. This is a very effective in releiving pain and easier to deal with than Mepergan/Demerol scripts. Of course if you have a good MD who doesn't mind gicing out scripts than go for the good stuff. akraven

#809 - 07/03/02 06:01 AM Re: Re-thinking basic kit
akraven Offline
Stranger

Hey NAro<br> You might try using Ibuprofen in perscription level doses. You can check in a PDR to verify but Ibuprofen is used in doses up to 800mg in prescription levels. This is a very effective in relieving pain and easier to deal with than Mepergan/Demerol scripts. Of course if you have a good MD who doesn't mind giving out scripts then go for the good stuff. akraven

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 525 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.