Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5870 - 04/29/02 06:22 AM Basic, basic 1st aid for minor booboos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug lists both Neosporin and Betadine in his basic 1st aid kit...I have picked up both, but not sure which should be used for what. I use the neosporin on booboos before bandaging them up. I also have alcohol wipes for cleaning wounds.<br><br>Also, where can I find Martin's burn cream, I can't find it any where.<br><br>A buddy at work told me not to use that hand sanitizer gel for cleaning wounds, is this true?<br><br>Looking to take a red cross class...I took a 1st aid/CPR class at work, but it ended up being a refresher, but not an intro. Go easy on me, I'm new to this stuff.

#5871 - 04/29/02 12:30 PM Re: Basic, basic 1st aid for minor booboos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi:<br><br>I can't comment on the Neosporin but back in my EMS days we were told by the ER doctors to use Betadine and never alcohol to treat wounds and prepare IV sites.<br><br>The reason given is that the alcohol would damage exposed nerves and underlying skin tissue while the Betadine would not. <br><br>Additionally, alcohol can be accidently passed into the blood stream if it is used to clean an IV site prior to the insertion of the catheter. This can cause subsequent blood tests to indicate that the patient has consumed alcohol. <br><br>I realize the second point is beyond the realm of first aid but it is food for thought. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that we should avoid applying alcohol to wounds if another treatment is available.<br><br><br>Chris<br>

#5872 - 04/29/02 12:55 PM Re: Basic, basic 1st aid for minor booboos
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I agree. IV prep was the main reason I carried betadine; I guess I just carry it out of habit now, as I rarely ever carry IVs anymore - the trips the last few years don't really call for that level of preparedness I think of it more as a prep for invasion (IV, surgery, etc.) than anything else.<br><br>In my experiences, no matter what I've done first aid-wise, civilian ER docs ignore you, assume you're a complete incompetent idiot, and re-cleanse a wound even if that is traumatic to the tissue. One of my boys has a hell of a scar as a result of that - wrist to elbow. My experiences with Army and Air Force docs have been much more positive, but then, they knew me personally in most cases. I guess I understand why the ER docs do what they do.<br><br>There are a few dissenters regarding betadine as a wound cleansing agent from what I've read - not strong dissentions. Sterile water with or without a surficant (soap/detergent) has been what I've seem used in ERs to cleanse wounds.<br><br>Alcohol wipes could be used as a drying agent on minor poison ivy type irritations, I suppose, altho it might also spread the oils - I'm not sure.<br><br>Neosporin debates go back and forth. I take middle ground - I use it on minor wounds, but with twice daily airings. My guess is that it makes little difference either way if the wound was cleansed and the patient is otherwise healthy, but I'm not educated in that area, so my opinion is just that - an opinion.

#5873 - 04/29/02 02:38 PM Re: Basic, basic 1st aid for minor booboos
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Martin's is sold through George Townsends, listed in the retailers section for equipment.

#5874 - 04/29/02 02:39 PM Re: Basic, basic 1st aid for minor booboos
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
It is highly doubtful that the little bit of alcohol on a alcohol pad, prior to starting an IV would cause the blood alcohol to elevate. Most IV start packs in fact have alcohol pads as well as Betadyne to prep a site for an IV. Both have potential uses. Generally alcohol by itself does little to disinfect a site/wound, the contact time to kill various bacteria can be quite long. Generally we use the alcohol pad to remove gross dirt and body oils, the Betadyne is then used to actually disinfect the site. Keep in mind some individuals have iodine allergies (shell fish alleries will give you a clue) and Betadyne should not be used. Beachdoc any thoughts? Pete

#5875 - 04/29/02 04:22 PM Re: Basic, basic 1st aid for minor booboos
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

An often ovdrlooked expedient flush is contact lens saline solution. It is sterile and can be squeezed for a jet effect or poured slowly.

#5876 - 04/29/02 04:45 PM Re: Basic, basic 1st aid for minor booboos
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pete:<br><br>I thought that as well when I heard it. Then our medical control MD produced a study which showed just that.<br><br>This was about eight years ago but it stuck in my mind. Shortly thereafter the hospital stopped buying alcohol prep pads and only stocked Betadine wipes.<br><br>BTW: Betadine stains do not come out of white polyester uniforms :)<br><br><br>Chris

#5877 - 04/29/02 05:27 PM Re: Basic, basic 1st aid for minor booboos
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would like to see the study, keep in mind 70% isopropl alcohol will evaporate and even if using a large bore cath. like a 14g the i.d. is extremely small. The introduction of enough alcohol by this method, elevating blood alcohol levels which are detectable just is not logical. Pete

#5878 - 04/29/02 11:03 PM Re: Basic, basic 1st aid for minor booboos
Anonymous
Unregistered

A recent trip to the ER for a minor would taught me a few things. Betadine is used only before an incision is made or an IV is used. Unless the wound is already infected, nothing is used to clense the would but saline solution. The ER nurses seem to think that Neosporin will reduce scarring, but they don't make any claims to its use as an antiseptic. And the one that surprised me was : Only cover the wound if it is prone to getting contaminated. It's OK to have those grusome stitches showing so long as you're not outside digging ditches or something. The more time it spends exposed (but cleansed with saline) the faster and better it will heal. Please note that this comes from the ER nurses and not the docs. I'm not sure why the doctors are so 'hush hush' about proper treatment. Perhaps it's for the return buisiness?<br><br>

#5879 - 04/30/02 02:35 PM Re: Basic, basic 1st aid for minor booboos
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

I approach this from several angles. As an urban paramedic, I generally deal with severely injured patients; my main concerns are ensuring an adequate airway and circulation and dealing with major life threatening injuries. Generally, with lacerations my main concern is controlling bleeding. We also, would flush wounds contaminated with dirt or chemicals with just sterile saline and cover with sterile dressings. Transport time is generally short. However, in the wilderness setting, where I may have to treat a patient for an extended period of time, the approach is a little different. While still concerned with major life threating injuries, we also may an attempt to clean wounds more thoroughly. I also make trips to rural Ecuador to provide disaster preparedness and response training; we also provide direct patient care. In these cases we treat wounds, generally on the feet and depending on the severity aggressively, because of the environment, lack of clean water and follow-up medical care. Generally cleaning with Povidone-iodine scrub, triple antibiotic ointment, sterile dressings and occasionally, oral antibiotics. Pete

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 567 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.