Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#5853 - 04/26/02 07:45 PM Equipped Sebenza
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I just finished typing this email to Doug, but I decided to post it as well:<br><br>Got a sec:<br>A few minutes ago I was at the knifecenter.com website about to click yes to the purchase on a new large Sebenza..... but I didn't. Here is why.<br><br><br>Back in about 1996, my father asked me what I wanted for college graduation. (which is ironic since I graduated in 1994...?) Since my parents aren't loaded but not poor as well, a new car was out of the question. I told my dad that I wanted a Chris Reeve Sebenza folder. Being friends with some superb knifemakers locally, my father presented me with a Jack Crockford trout knife and a Jack Crockford folder. These being extremely valuable collectors items, they are not suited for daily carry. Researching the Sebenza, incidently, is how I stumbled across your site back in the day. Anyhoo, Dad, ever timely, approached me recently and asked what I wanted as a gift for defending my Ph.D.<br>My reply: A Chris Reeve Sebenza.<br><br>Which brings us to now.....<br><br>Knifecenter seems to run a pretty solid operation in my estimation, but I would rather line someone else's pockets...<br><br>Part 3. My other surf spot is AR15.com which has a tradition of limited edition group purchases. Every year there is a whole host of goodies and at least 1 special AR15 derivative that members can purchase with the AR15.com logo. Purchases are made up front and the proprietor incurs no risk.<br><br><br>Which really brings us to now...<br><br>What I really would rather have, and why I did not click "BUY", is an "Equipped to Survive" Sebenza! Perhaps you could pitch this to the forum to see what kind of interest it could generate? A whole lot of blue collars and civil servants don't seem to have a problem shelling out 5-1500 dollars for a rifle, why shouldn't the patrons of equipped.org not be willing to shell out $400 and change for the finest folder in the world?<br>You can put me down for one, I can pay up front (as long as "up front" is a defined date in the near future) I don't mind waiting for it either!<br>Of course, you know where this could lead... a whole line of "Equipped" logo apparel and gear. Lets start with the Sebenza, I want one!<br><br>Andy Osborne<br>

#5854 - 04/26/02 08:25 PM Re: Equipped Sebenza
Anonymous
Unregistered

Um.. as much as I'd like to support Doug (I did, but I gather some of it went to Amazon), I've really got my heart set on a Tanto Sebenza. Eventually, I'd probably send it back to Chris to have the scales replaced, thereby ruining it's collector value- don't much care for the writing. I was just about to buy one when my stocks started tumbling and clients started drying up...

#5855 - 04/26/02 09:07 PM Re: Equipped Sebenza
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Andy,<br><br><br>Mein Gott! The last car I bought didn't cost $400 and change. Maybe an installment plan? Financed over three years? Maybe the VA will co-sign for me....<br><br>Good idea, good knife, way too expensive.<br><br>Take care,<br><br>Andy

#5856 - 04/27/02 01:19 AM Re: Equipped Sebenza
Anonymous
Unregistered

DR's review sold me on the Sebenza, too, and I've always been grateful for the information because I think the review saved me big $$$ in experimenting with different knives.<br><br>The Sebenza is a really useful, well-made knife and, in my limited experience at least, it's worth the investment. (I carry the small Sebenza for EDC.) In fact, the fit and finish is every bit as good as some of the custom folders I've been seduced by over the years. There's no question that if I had to reach for one folder, I'd reach for my Sebe.<br><br>I remember being a poor student . . . but just be sure to buy it BEFORE you get married!

#5857 - 04/27/02 05:08 AM Re: Equipped Sebenza
Anonymous
Unregistered

Folks-<br><br>You need need to check out the FOR SALE sub-forums over at Bladeforums.com and Knifeforums.com. <br><br>The prices of second hand, like new, Large Sebenzas has fallen to the $230-260.00 range. Small Sebenzas for even less.<br><br>The consensus seems to be this is the result of: 1) the market for Sebenzas has been saturated, 2) combined with the financial recession, 3) combined with Chris Reeve Knife switching over to S30V steel for the newer Sebenzas.<br><br>This means that you can pick up a BG-42 steel Sebenza these days on the cheap!!<br><br>Good luck,<br><br>Ron<br>GunCollector

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 293 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.