Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#3652 - 01/23/02 09:17 PM arrows from a sling shot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

on my previous atax post i gave a link to their site, http://www.survival.com/atax.htm and in one of the pictures he is firing an arrow from sling shot rubbers attached to the tool. well i was just wondering if it would be worth it to try, or possibly carve a small bow using one or two bands in unison, after all, i found a 60 pound pull band, the same as a small game bow as far as i know.

#3653 - 01/24/02 04:10 AM Re: arrows from a sling shot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I saw in an OLD (like mid 60s) magazine an add for a basic, wrist-rocekt type slingshot that had an addapter for firing standard arrows, so it can be done pretty easily. It would basically be a manually pulled pistol crossbow.<br><br>Problem is, not much draw length and the draw weight would be tiny. You wouldn't be able to launch much of an arrow for very far or with mych force. Maybe a frog killer, but for something like deer? I don't know. <br><br>If you can own one in your area, Barrnett made a folding crossbow called a Deltastorm or something like that, oh, maybe 10 years ago. I haven' seen a recent catalog that mentioned it, but I know they got snagged in small numbers by one or three military and para-mil units for sentry elimination, and I've heard they don't collapse on thier own. Considering it's listed to be as powerful as thier Wildcat, it might be worth seeing if you can scrounge if this is a direction you want to look in. It collapsed down to about the size of a Reader Digest Condensed book, and went into a case that had slots for four (IIRC) bolts and a small pouch for a spare sting, string lube, etc.<br><br>I should warn ya'll- Crossbows handle very different than rifles, so practice with one doesn't translate very well, and crossbows are no-nos in a lot of places. Even if you cna own one, I don't know any place you can legaly hunt with one unless you have a disability, so you won't be able to get an idea of how it works on game.

#3654 - 03/21/02 04:42 PM Re: arrows from a sling shot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I was a kid, we use to be able to buy small metal darts with a brush-type tail that were designed to be fired from BB guns. I know we used to fire them from our slingshots (catapults) as well. I can't remember actually hunting with the darts so can't comment on the accuracy. Something to look into though.

#3655 - 03/22/02 12:53 AM Re: arrows from a sling shot?
Anonymous
Unregistered

They're accurate enough. The problem with the .177" darts is that they don't have enough velocity. That means next to nothging for range, a wonderful rainbow trajectory, and not enough energy to talk about when they finally hit something. <br><br>For the weight and bulk, a .22 pistol would be better, or for our comrades who are subjects of a Commenwealth country, a good slingshot with steel pellets.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 305 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.