Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#4471 - 02/25/02 10:51 PM SOS Food rations
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,<br><br>Are the 3600 calorie SOS Food rations adequate for something like being stuck on the road, or for earthquake stuck-at-home use?<br><br>I understand that some survival kits use the bare bare minimum, so I want to know if 1200 calories a day are adequate.

#4472 - 02/25/02 11:51 PM Re: SOS Food rations
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Hey Skunkabilly,<br><br>I've eaten SOS & Mainstay food rations. I like them. They're great for kits that will be put away for a while. I keep some in my Jeep, my NERT/CERT bag and my Bug Out Bag. For shorter hikes, I'll typically carry some sort of snacks, if I plan to be gone more than a couple of hours. For longer hikes, I'll typically add some ration bars, just in case. For overnight hiking and/or camping, I prefer something more substantial. For home, since space is not such an issue, I keep canned and other prepackaged foods that need neither refrigeration to keep nor cooking to eat. I also have heated up certain canned goods at my hearth with my Esbit stove. I also like to keep a supply of MREs at home, again because space is not at such a premium.<br><br>My girlfriend loves ration bars; especially when she's sick or feeling bad. She'll eat them even when the thought of any other foods makes her queasy. She also keeps some at her office for times when the stuff hits the fan and she ends up staying late without any real good time for grabbing a meal somewhere. She thinks they're the greatest thing since take-out.<br><br>She prefers Mainstay brand; she likes the feel of them. They're smoother, while SOS brand is more crumbly. I prefer SOS brand, since each bar is individually wrapped inside the outer foil packaging. I don't like the fact that, once you open a Mainstay package, you expose all the blocks inside to air. She doesn't care; she just pops the whole thing in a ziplock bag after opening.<br><br>As for whether 1200cal/day is adequate to live on, yeah, for a while. Keep it up for long, and you'll start to slim down nicely. Keep it up for too long, and you'll start to slim down not so nicely.

#4473 - 02/25/02 11:54 PM Re: SOS Food rations
schaz Offline

Loc: California
The answer is "it depends."<br><br>You don't really need any food for the first several days.<br><br>Additionally, the amount of food that you need to maintain your body weight is directly related to your body weight, your activity level, and the environmental conditions.<br><br>In a cold environment, you will need more food than in warm, but if you wear a t-shirt and shorts and are caught in a blizzard with no shelter, you can't eat enough (really can't process what you eat fast enough) to maintain your body temperature.<br><br>If you are in an earthquake, stuck-at-home, and you stay in bed all day, 1200 calories will be more than adequate.<br><br>If you are doing SAR on the collapsed building next door, doing hard physical work for 24 hours straight, 3600 calories won't be enough.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 522 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.