Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#3987 - 02/07/02 11:45 PM Victorinox compass, magnifier, thermometer combo
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
If you go to http://www.swiss-knife.com/EN/sk/swissknife_index.html and select Special Range, then Survival kits, you'll see something I want.<br><br>All the kits have a piece of square plastic in which are mounted a button compass, a magnifying lens, and a button thermometer.<br><br>This item is also available in the replacement pack for the survival kit, but not separately.<br><br>I asked the people at that site if the unit was available separately, but they said it was not. These are simply retailers of the Victorinox product line, so I wasn't expecting much.<br><br>Does anybody have an in with Victorinox whereby I could get one of these little gems?<br><br>Bear

#3988 - 02/07/02 11:55 PM Re: Victorinox compass, magnifier, thermometer combo
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There is a Swiss compass maker named Recta. While they list a U.S. distributor, none are imported. recta.ch/uk/index.html I believe you are looking at the DMT model. I have communicated in the past about ordering direct and they were willing.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (02/08/02 12:24 AM)

#3989 - 02/08/02 01:19 AM Re: Victorinox compass, magnifier, thermometer combo
Anonymous
Unregistered

I really hate to burst your bubble...I do I mean it.... but save your money..... get a good compass for a few bucks, get a free glass (think power) from a broken set of bi noc's or scope, and get a zipper pull thermometer for kicks.......<br><br>I know that thing is small, and it seems here there is a kick on small/lite weight, and some of that is ok, but not a compass. A bad compass is about as good as a bad map.<br><br>The only time I was ever lost was with a bad map, and franckly it sucked. It was winter late in the day, and the trail markers were under about 7'(feet) of ice somewhere. I was not equipped to be out over night. I was working out with the map and the compass for fun..... The map brought me to a place called "Sleeper Brook" But this was 1,500' above it with a vertical drop! At that point both the compass and map were less than usless, and I started doing a circle pattern to find the trail again, which ain't easy above tree line.......Mac

#3990 - 02/08/02 07:58 AM Re: Victorinox compass, magnifier, thermometer combo
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No doubt a quality compass and maps are neccessary ( assuming you know your starting point.) The small quality liquid compasses do have their place, and not just in a PSK. I live within minutes of the 101 freeway in California. In my mental imaging, it runs N/S, because that takes me to San Francisco or San Diego. In reality, my stretch actually runs W/E. A small convenient unit is an excellent training tool to become aware of reality vs. our mental maps. Ditto for temperature. How many times have we become inattentive to dropping temperatures while exercising or preoccupied? A recent article discusses getting lost and our mental processes [ http:www.national geographic.com/adventure/0111/story.html#story1] . People go to great lengths learning natural direction indicators and star navigation. A small compass is a nice bit of confidence in those skills. We like having things literally pointed out and confirmed for us.

#3991 - 02/08/02 10:26 AM Re: Victorinox compass, magnifier, thermometer combo
ratstr Offline
@

Loc: Dardanelles
I've got one which came with my previous GSM phone Ericsson R310 in its so called "adventure kit".<br><br>All I can say is; if you get one for free and you would not need to bother yourself for that, it is mediacore. But I would not think of trying to find one to buy.<br><br>Brgds.<br>Brk<br><br>

#3992 - 02/08/02 12:58 PM Re: Victorinox compass, magnifier, thermometer combo
Anonymous
Unregistered

A cheap compass is worse than no compass at all.

#3993 - 02/08/02 03:02 PM Re: Victorinox compass, magnifier, thermometer combo
Anonymous
Unregistered

So long as the would be user knows the weakness of a compass and map, he may use it as a general guide. <br>What I thought might be the situation was ....small compass for small kit.....' and so I am covered in case of emergency 100%', which is not the case.... So long as you don't rely on a compass like this to save your self it's ok with me. I guess if this was the only compass I had, and I was lost at sea in a dory out of sight of land I would go with it, but I would prefer a better device..... I find these miro compasses to be about as good as a magetized needle floating on a leaf in a puddle.....<br>For driving around it won't matter, but I would use caution with a cheapo compass in a car due to the car may well throw the compass off..... <br><br>Chris you said this "( assuming you know your starting point.) " if you are on land, or can see something, a few somethings, you can find where you are with a map and compass. You don't need to know where you are exactly, but just knowing you are on the map, and you have the correct map.....Take as many bearings as possible up to 8 different directions in a circle.line mark each one on the map, and you are where the points cross. This would be hard at sea with nothing standing out to see, and would also be hard in a plane moving at better than 100mph, but you could get an idea.<br><br>Also I have been reading the list for things, and wonder why the list for a airplane crash does not list any clothing. I have a buddy that removed both wings from a small plane(trees), and when he was dumped on the ground covered in gas.. He had to strip naked in below freezing weather. he is alive but at the time was not a happy camper by any means... <br><br>I understand what you mean about the east west deal.... here in New England we have the same effect....if lost at sea, and you left from the east coast to begin with, sail north to strike land faster, than sailing west............Mac

#3994 - 02/08/02 09:14 PM Re: Victorinox compass, magnifier, thermometer combo
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
Chris: Thanks a bunch for the URL. That's INDEED the beastie in question. On reading the replies from other list members and on getting a closer look at the item, my gadget lust is abated. In other words, I don't GOTTA have it any more.<br><br>I've already got a wristband compass and a wristband thermometer from Brigade Quartermasters, and I think I'll just find a better way to pack those, maybe losing the over-deep watchband hoops and attaching them back-to-back.<br><br>These are not survival kit items for me, but they're in my lightweight backpacking "jump" bag. That's a smaller bag I have with me at all times while hiking. (It's called that because if you have to jump up and run away, you still grab that bag.)<br><br>Anyway, thanks to all!<br><br>Bear

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.