Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2900 - 12/02/01 10:49 AM Best combination for $100?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello,<br><br>I was hoping for some idea on the best combination of tools/knifes to get for $100. I was thinking on getting a Leatherman Wave and either a Leatherman Micra or a little swiss army keychain thing.<br><br>Then I started thinking maybe I should get a good locking and folding knife. (Any reviews of the Columbia River knifes?)<br><br>I am a boy scout, go on backpacking trips of varying degree occasionally, so what I would get I would probebly use both for urban and backcountry use. A straight knife and surated (or a combenation of both) is definatly a must. But other tools (screwdriers, etc) to carry in pocket (I doubt I would carry Wave in pocket tho) and on camping trips would be good too.<br><br>So basically what is the best combenation of tools if you only have $100 to spend and what do most people carry on them (both around in civilazation and on high-adventure trips).<br><br>Thanks,<br>Nathaniel

#2901 - 12/02/01 03:43 PM Re: Best combination for $100?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For a budget of $100, I would start with a CRKT Stiff Kiss MDP, available with a partially serrated edge if you must, for about $20 from internet sources. Light and strong for any reasonable use, a really great backpacking knife. The rest of your budget is available for a multitool. I really like the Wave, but it is unnecessarily heavy, and overkill on tools, for backpacking. Absolutely superb for situations where you are not counting ounces. I am extremely retro in that I still carry the original PST for backpacking; it is all I need and reasonably light.

#2902 - 12/02/01 07:00 PM Re: Best combination for $100?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i agree on the PST but the Stiff kiss by columbia i dont like. i own one, tanto blade with partially serated edge and i NEVER use it! the handle is rather uncomfortable for carving things such as camp spoons and forks or walking sticks all the way to tent pegs or poles for survival shelter. it is akward, you can only sharpen one side of the blade, and it just seems weird to me. for a nice belt knife, try Grohman, they are the best knives in the world in my opinion <br>http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/belt.html<br>try that web site they have a nice variety of knives.

#2903 - 12/02/01 09:58 PM Re: Best combination for $100?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, for a starter fixed blade, it's hard to wrong with a Mora. If you spend more than 15 bucks on it, you are getting ripped off. (http://www.swedishknives.com/760craft.htm) At that price, you can buy just about any non-Victorinox multitool you like. <br><br>Personally, I love the Kabar Mk2 pattern with the leather handle (either mini or full size), and those go for about $50, as does the Supertool, but it is a BIG knife (7" blade for the full sie), and I know that the scouts around here frown on them, but mine have gone everywhere and done everything for years. The reason I like the leather handle is that is easier on the hands when it is below freezing.<br><br>If you are thinking folders, rather than fixed, the Buck 110 is an old classic, and usually not much more than $30 through a good hardware or sporting good store. That leaves you enough for the Supertool and the Micra.<br><br>If you check out flea markets and yard sales, you can sometimes find older Pumas- look for ones with the serial numbers on the blades. If it has a serial, it was made when they were hand finished, unlike the new ones, and you can't go wrong with one of those. It might be older than you are, but unless you abuse it, it will be in your will.

#2904 - 12/02/01 11:05 PM Re: Best combination for $100?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks I'll look into them.<br><br>Scouts seem to frown on a lot of things: Bungee cords (because they can "snap" and poke somebodys eye out or something, I've always found them useful.), lighters (that is understandable).

#2905 - 12/03/01 01:43 AM Re: Best combination for $100?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The stiff kiss MDP (modified drop point) is a different brred of cat - it is a non-tanto blade with a conventional edge. It fits my hand just fine - this is where you get into personal preference, I guess.

#2906 - 12/03/01 03:03 AM Re: Best combination for $100?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i meant no offense or anything, i failed to menchin in my post that knives can be a very peronal thing lol

#2907 - 12/03/01 04:55 AM Re: Best combination for $100?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Well, sounds like you're getting quite a bit of good advice, but maybe the post suggesting the Buck 110 / 112 was closest to meeting your current needs. If you are in a Troop, fixed blade knives are not allowed by BSA policy :-( That cuts out the great low cost suggestions like the Mora.<br><br>However, if you are in a Venturing Crew (not Venture Patrol), BSA is mute. Many things that are forbidden to Scouts in Troops are allowed to Venturers. (And that's a really good thing, IMHO). BSA Troop pretty much run under "Berlin" rules; BSA Venturing Crews pretty much run under "Paris" rules. I'm an active Scouter in both a Troop and a Crew, and I have to keep the differences in mind.<br><br>I was on the Knife forum recently and there is a very interesting thread - fairly recent - that asks folks to reply what they feel is "the most bang for the $". Discarding fixed blades, there were a LOT of votes for the Buck 110 / 112 lock back folders. I just happen to own one of each - I have had them for at least 26 years (longer than that on one, I think) and one or the other saw hard daily use for MANY years. They are not my favorite knives, yet they have always done what I asked of them and I CAN use them when out with the Troop. The 110, in particular, has really been abused - it has been used as a wood spliter a lot, among other indignities, and it is maybe a touch loose in the pivot now after all these years. I cannot complain - it still does everything I expect it to.<br><br>Neither of mine were particularly sharp when new, and it took me a bit of sweat to get them really sharp the first time, but they have been no problem since then. I do not know if that is characteristic or if it was a QC problem way back when I bought those knives.<br><br>If you shop hard, you may be able to pick up about any Leatherman multi-tool for around $60 or so (don't forget sales tax). The local Gander Mountain store has them all for $10 off, and the "normal" price there is $70 for a Wave. Plus, I when I go in, I ask for (and receive) a 10% BSA Discount - just wear your "Class A" shirt when you shop and ask if they give a discount to Scouts - most outdoors shops are glad to give a Scout discount (repeat business + word of mouth).<br><br>I think everyone else who has posted has more "knife knowledge" than I do; I just thought it may help you if everyone knows you kinda have to eliminate fixed blade knives if you're scouting with a Troop.<br><br>Regards,<br><br>ADV & SA Tom Ayers<br><br>"Be Prepared!"<br><br>

#2908 - 12/03/01 01:33 PM Re: Best combination for $100?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That knives are personal goes without saying- I'd sooner share my toothbrush than my Ka-bars. smile

#2909 - 12/03/01 03:07 PM Re: Best combination for $100?
Anonymous
Unregistered

heavens, none taken. I just wanted to be sure we were talking about the same thing. I agree with your observations about the tant style kiss. If we ever accomplish a rendezvous of the discussants on this list, we will have a fair variety of knives to compare.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.