Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2456 - 11/02/01 05:57 PM Herbal Remedies
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Herbal remedies are often mentioned as expedient or alternate medication. Are they usefull? Yes, if you know what your doing. Wild herb potency is affected by age and part of plant, time of year and nurient richness. Two seemingly identical plants can produce radically different dosages. Many beneficial plants have an "evil twin sister". Remember, even experienced mushroom collectors have made this deadly mistake. An external poultice or wash is one thing, a diuretic taken internally quite another. The idea that herbs are 'natural' and somehow better is a cultural value, not an empirical given. I much prefer aspirin to gathering it's native source!

#2457 - 11/04/01 04:21 AM Re: Herbal Remedies
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey chris, my aunts husband is a herbal remidieologst lol<br>he owns a farm that is dedicated to making like lip balm and soaps al the way to medicine.<br>he has a degree in nursing and he has a degree in that herb stuff to. he has teached me alot, from making teas with clevers and medicine with teatrees

#2458 - 11/04/01 04:07 PM slightly off-topic
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris, I could be wrong, but it seems like you have a pretty big soapbox against primative skills. Why?<br><br>In most situations, yes, they are unneeded. Can modern technology do the same things? Yes, and often better, but not always (wool vs. polypro). But I would still suggest that anyone who spends a great deal of time away from "civilization" should learn at least the basics. If for no other reason than ANY piece of kit you carry can be taken from you, either by accident or just normal usage, including a PSK. <br><br>I'd rather be able to have a fighting chance if, for example, a young lady and I should tip a canoe and everything but our socks finds it's way to the bottom of the lake. smile

#2459 - 11/04/01 05:10 PM Re: slightly off-topic
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Not at all. I practice and utilise native methods myself. Again I do not use the term primitive. It is often perjorative as inferior to contemporary technology. Ie. " primitive man practiced trephanation to release evil spirits . Superior, modern man performs frontal lobotomies." Whos inferior there? No, my caveat is making a bowdrill is very sophisticated. If I am freezing from falling in a lake I want that unsophisticated waterproof vial of lifeboat matches NOW. I possess both options.To many 1/32 chippewayan warriors do not. Now if I can jimmy my hardrive with my chert scraper, ill move our posts to the campfire forum ;0)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.