Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1916 - 10/03/01 11:34 PM Shelter
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is the best shelter to make ( assuming you have the time ) that would let you sleep alot better than a lean to? i dont feel very secure in lean to and end up staying awake all night. ive tryed the /\\\\\ looking shelter looks like a tube tent. dont like it either too much paranoya<br><br><br>

#1917 - 10/04/01 12:45 AM Re: Shelter
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll take a lightweight tent anytime. Packing the extra weight will be worth it. Don't laugh, but I am scared to death of bats. Never used a tube tent but with a little mosquitoe netting it would probably work fine.<br><br>

#1918 - 10/04/01 05:12 AM Re: Shelter
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ron, Are you looking for a shelter from the weather, or critters? I usually forego tents unless the potential weather dictates one. What people don't realize( and sleeping bag makers never mention) is that a bag's lower temperature rating is often measured assuming the use of a tent and appropriate clothing. A quality tent, with waterproof floor, sill and zipper fly will keep out the assorted snakes, mosquitos etc. No tent in the world will stop that bear of yours. My strategy is to find a campsite away from obvious animal trails and to keep all food stashed away from my sleepsite. You could also rig a simple alarm. String some cord on sticks around your camp and hang tin cans. Anything comes in will trip the alarm, sending the intruder ( and you) into a panic. <br><br>

#1919 - 10/04/01 01:34 PM Re: Shelter
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
>>> ... and to keep all food stashed away from my sleepsite.<<<<br><br>Another goof use for the cord or twine in one's survivial kit is to put any food in a bear bag and suspend above the ground. Traditional technique is to string a horizontal line between two trees as high as one can get it. Then toss a second line over the first to secure the bag and hoist it up out of reach of any intruders. Such a configuration will likely take more line than on carries in a PSK, so you may have to improvise. The problem with hoisting a line over a branch is that there are other critters to woory about other than just bears. Squirrels are truly acrobatic when it comes to forraging for food. I've seen one walk the tight-rope of the horizontal line and then scurry down the second line to the bag to help himself to our goodies. <br><br>On South Manitou Island in Lake Michigan, the threat was Micro-Bears, A.K.A., chipmonks. Although not as airially tallented as Squirrels, these little vermin can do a number on any food items left within their reach. They will chew through anything to get at food. <br><br>Of course, in most short-term survivial situations, food will not be the most critical item. So the lose of food, although morally depressing, is secondary in concern over safety if you are in bear country. Also, make sure that if you do catch fish and game, clean and dress away from your shelter and discard of the entrails away from your camp.<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL

#1920 - 10/04/01 01:35 PM Re: Shelter
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are you insecure about? <br><br>Is it the lean to will collapse on you, the lean to does not provide adequate protection from rain/weather, the dried materials are really nothing more than a giant tinder tepee waiting for a spark from your smoldering fire to turn into a funeral pyre, it looks like a giant brush pile to the creepy crawlies who might find you a pleaseant meal, the space is too small and you don't like small spaces? <br><br>In order for us to offer solutions on ways to make you feel more secure, we need to have a better idea what you don't like about lean to's.<br><br>

#1921 - 10/05/01 12:41 AM Re: Shelter
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well The main thing is that im awake before a bear decides to see what planet im from and weather<br>leanto is mainly for the chilly winds right? when i saw the bear up in mount ritcen i also found a Hut looking tp that somebody took a fair amount of time to build. i crawled inside and found it rather comfortable but this thing looked like it took around 3 hours to build. im not really "Afraid" of the bear being that the probability of a bear seeing me as a meal is like 1 and in a 100. mosquitos ive masterd smile i have 6 different plants ive found in mount grahm that i burn around camp and it makes super thick smoke and the bug's wont come back for about 1 hour. snakes are a problem and rain is a problem. <br><br>

#1922 - 10/05/01 01:16 AM Re: Shelter
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Snakes will rarely curl up next to a sleeping camper. It happened to me once, but fortuneately the snake was more torpid than I was come sunrize ( and much more sociable). Usually their heat sensors says" big dangerous animal" and they move on. The tent would require a waterproof floor and sill to eliminate both problems. Your problem is going to be weight since your backpacking. Modern tents are pretty light . I use an old " cowboy teepee". This is a canvas pyramid with 4 stakes and either a internal center pole, or two "A" frame external poles. It really sheds water and wind. Some of the makers are incorporating newer fabrics that are light in weight and mildew/ ultraviolet resistant.<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 625 Guests and 132 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.