Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#302160 - 12/25/23 01:21 AM When Is Generic Okay?
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I'm browsing Temu and wondering when it is okay to go with no-name brand medical and survival gear.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302164 - 12/25/23 10:19 PM Re: When Is Generic Okay? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For medical gear, I'm a 100% solid "no" for that. When a personally-known medical professional tells me that a certain piece of gear is good to go, I pay close attention to that. So far, the ones I have trained with didn't suggest anything of the sort.

For survival gear, my position is less black-and-white. An isobutane camp stove, for example, is pretty hard to screw up. I've used mine for a few years and found it to be just what I need. It's an inexpensive, no-name import. My cookpot is no-name brand for sure. But not much else that I can think of.

#302165 - 12/26/23 01:26 AM Re: When Is Generic Okay? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
For medical gear, I'm a 100% solid "no" for that. When a personally-known medical professional tells me that a certain piece of gear is good to go, I pay close attention to that. So far, the ones I have trained with didn't suggest anything of the sort.

I cannot think of any brand-name safety pins. Aside from that, I cannot think of any piece of medical equipment where generic is acceptable.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302166 - 12/26/23 02:17 AM Re: When Is Generic Okay? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I would buy generic drugs but probably not equipment. Certainly counterfeit TQs have often proved to be substandard!

#302167 - 12/26/23 05:14 AM Re: When Is Generic Okay? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I don't recommend Temu. While many Chinese manufacturers produce quality goods, there are also some that try to squeeze extra profit by gradually degrading the quality of their products. So the first batch is fine. The second batch may not be so great, but perhaps still acceptable. Minor flaws with the third batch, and it goes down from there, until you end up with trash. If there isn't a partner to hold them to a standard, a partner that cares about its reputation, then there may not be guarantee of consistent quality over time.

Temu seems to offer no quality control. This is on top of bigger issues such as no guarantee that it doesn't sell goods made with imprisoned Uighur labor. So even if I got something as simple as a bag, I'd worry: did somebody take a shortcut on stitching? Will a seam come undone when I need the bag to work?

#302168 - 12/26/23 01:36 PM Re: When Is Generic Okay? [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

I'm getting a new medical ID bracelet as I've broken two in the past.

Jeanette Isabelle

#302206 - 01/10/24 09:52 PM Re: When Is Generic Okay? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I received my new medical ID bracelet. Aside from the small print, it is everything I wanted.

Jeanette Isabelle

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.