Topic Options
#299159 - 06/22/21 03:56 AM Lost hiker sought by Alaska Guard finds her way to
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#299160 - 06/22/21 11:52 AM Re: Lost hiker sought by Alaska Guard finds her way to [Re: Doug_Ritter]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I’m glad she’s safe. While I’m sure there are lessons learned it sounds like a lot of things went right.

The story brought up a question in my mind — she reported having been aware of the search helicopters but that they couldn’t see her. If she had had a signal mirror (in the daytime) or a powerful flashlight (at night) that could have made a difference, but that isn’t my question.

I carry a handheld VHF/UHF amateur radio transceiver when I’m almost anywhere out of my house. Would SAR aircraft be listening on ham radio calling frequencies? Or the Marine VHF calling frequency * ?

* - It is illegal to use a ham radio to transmit on Marine VHF frequencies, except in a bona fide emergency. This situation would certainly count.

#299163 - 06/22/21 02:45 PM Re: Lost hiker sought by Alaska Guard finds her way to [Re: Doug_Ritter]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
A related dad question:

My mid-20 age daughter will be graduating and taking a job in Arizona next year. I know she'll enjoy hiking the area. In addition to her carrying water and survival gear, if I were to give her a graduation gift, would you recommend a mapping GPS w/ electronic compass to help her get unlost, OR a personal locator beacon to help her get found for whatever life threatening situation??

As much as I'm a fan of PLB's, I lean toward the GPS for its flexible utility, but I fear that she'll leave the GPS behind while instead relying on a smartphone app (with local map saved). So maybe a PLB is more likely to end up in the backpack.

I'd get her both, but this in addition to gifting her a much wanted rifle ... while I can buy the particular style she wants.

#299164 - 06/22/21 03:13 PM Re: Lost hiker sought by Alaska Guard finds her way to [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I lived, worked, and rescued in Arizona for about three decades. Where in Arizona will she be located? Flagstaff, elev. 7000 feet, and Phoenix, elev. 2000 feet, are essentially on different planets with respect to climate.

The great thing about AZ outdoors is the great variability in climate, corresponding with elevation changes. You can go from desert to snowshoe country in less than one hour.

I am a definite fan of paper maps, much more versatile than the GPS units perhaps a premium Gaia subscription.

If she is in th Phoenix area, she will be in definite desert country and will need hiking gear for those condition, but mountains are never far away. She will probably need equipment for that environment as well.

Good problem to have!!

#299165 - 06/22/21 05:06 PM Re: Lost hiker sought by Alaska Guard finds her way to [Re: KenK]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK
In addition to her carrying water and survival gear, if I were to give her a graduation gift, would you recommend a mapping GPS w/ electronic compass to help her get unlost, OR a personal locator beacon to help her get found for whatever life threatening situation??

Congrats to your daughter for wrapping up school, and to you for getting her off the payroll!

Would an InReach GPS + Satellite communicator be a viable option?

#299166 - 06/22/21 10:50 PM Re: Lost hiker sought by Alaska Guard finds her way to [Re: Doug_Ritter]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
She'll be in the Prescott area.

#299168 - 06/23/21 05:11 AM Re: Lost hiker sought by Alaska Guard finds her way to [Re: chaosmagnet]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Would an InReach GPS + Satellite communicator be a viable option?

This! A Garmin inReach Mini will give her both off grid navigation and communication.

#299176 - 06/24/21 09:43 PM Re: Lost hiker sought by Alaska Guard finds her way to [Re: chaosmagnet]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
The story brought up a question in my mind — she reported having been aware of the search helicopters but that they couldn’t see her. If she had had a signal mirror (in the daytime) or a powerful flashlight (at night) that could have made a difference, but that isn’t my question.
She was under very heavy cover low down on the mountain. A mirror might have helped the first day. The weather turned cloudy the second day. A strobe might have helped. She built a fire, but it wasn't spotted by the aircraft FLIR. Keep in mind this was right before the solstice, when we had 19 hrs 17 min of official daylight. During daylight the earth warms, which tends to degrade FLIR performance. Also, it is possible she built the fire after the aircraft stopped flying that day.

I carry a handheld VHF/UHF amateur radio transceiver when I’m almost anywhere out of my house. Would SAR aircraft be listening on ham radio calling frequencies? Or the Marine VHF calling frequency * ?
No, the SAR aircraft would almost certainly not be routinely guarding any ham frequencies. If it were a search over water, they might be guarding Marine Ch 16.

A better bet would be to carry an aviation band handheld radio. Call on 121.500 MHz AM, the Aviation Distress (VHF Guard) frequency. In Alaska back in the day, before sat phones, Spot, and InReach, parties in remote areas sometimes would carry an aviation handheld for emergency use. The idea was that if you saw a plane anywhere in the area, you could try to call them. I recall hearing at least one anecdote where a party in a remote area managed to call an airliner flying over at 30,000 ft, who relayed their distress message.

Best idea of all is to carry an InReach or PLB.

Edited by AKSAR (06/24/21 09:54 PM)

#299185 - 06/25/21 01:19 PM Re: Lost hiker sought by Alaska Guard finds her way to [Re: AKSAR]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
[quote=chaosmagnet]The weather turned cloudy the second day. A strobe might have helped. She built a fire, but it wasn't spotted by the aircraft FLIR. Keep in mind this was right before the solstice, when we had 19 hrs 17 min of official daylight. During daylight the earth warms, which tends to degrade FLIR performance. Also, it is possible she built the fire after the aircraft stopped flying that day.

A orange signal panel might have worked. Came to my mind because I ordered a couple of them a few days ago, 27 inch by 27 inch.

https://i.postimg.cc/hGkNyHVC/orange-signal-mesh-panel-640x640-9.jpg

#299187 - 06/25/21 01:30 PM Re: Lost hiker sought by Alaska Guard finds her way to [Re: Doug_Ritter]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks AKSAR. I’m 100% with you on carrying a PLB or a SEND.

As a non-aviator, I don’t own any handheld radios that can transmit on air band; and I don’t know of any ham handhelds that can. If I lived in Alaska I might pony up for one. If I were carrying a larger ham transceiver (I have an Icom IC-705, which is quite backpack-able) I’d likely be able to call for help without regard to whether an aircraft was overhead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.