The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#280990 - 06/06/16 05:51 PM Woman used whistle after surviving 100ft fall
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Another lost hiker. This one with a happy ending compliments of an emergency whistle. From the pictures and other stories on the internet, it looked like she fetched up 100ft down a 800 ft cliff, and crawled back up about 50 ft. before she got stuck. None of the pictures showed the cliff face in sunlight, so I'm guessing it was North facing (no sunlight for mirror flash).

I was unable to find any information regarding if she had a proper flashlight, or it simply wasn't powerful enough to find the trail in the fading light. It seems that a lot of people now rely on short range cell phone lights instead of dedicated flashlights/headlamps.

This was another case where relying on cell service was a major mistake. An old fashion dead man's envelope (itinerary left behind), PLB, or satellite messenger would have resulted in a faster rescue. It seams that it should almost be mandatory to have one during solo back country hikes.

Woman survives 100-foot fall while hiking in southern Utah

Quote:
Amber Kohnhorst, a nurse from Minnesota, was on her way to Utah to volunteer at the Best Friends Animal Society. She stopped in Arizona to rest at an Air B&B and decided to go for a short, sunset hike.

"I couldn’t find my footsteps and that’s when my brain went into panic mode. I tried calling 911 right away but I had no cellphone service so I needed to find my way down," Kohnhorst said.

Kohnhorst, 25, was looking for her way down Rose Cliff's Trail in Arizona when she lost her balance.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#280994 - 06/06/16 07:58 PM Re: Woman used whistle after surviving 100ft fall [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Extremely fortunate. A vertical drop of that extent would unquestionably been fatal. Thank heaven for the whistle.

#281010 - 06/07/16 03:19 PM Re: Woman used whistle after surviving 100ft fall [Re: Mark_R]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
You can get a whistle for about a buck in MANY places in my neck of the woods. Light, small, easy to use.... You just never know when you might need help.

A friend of mine slipped down a cliff at a local conservation area, while walking her dog in the winter a couple of years ago. She managed to grab a tree about 80 feet down her tumble towards the river another 100 or so feet below. The park is right in the heart of her city, and it was a routine trip for them, so she thought nothing of it as she left her car, cell phone and keys in her coat pocket. She was lucky enough to be able to use her cell phone with her broken arm, while holding onto the tree with the other.

She called her mom, who called the police, who called the local fire dept, who then called the regional rope rescue team. They knew what trail she took, but couldn't find her in the dark. Thankfully she had a whistle on her keychain, and they were able to locate her that way. $1.25 well spent!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281017 - 06/08/16 08:49 AM Re: Woman used whistle after surviving 100ft fall [Re: Mark_R]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Added to the where to start thread:

Let me update that after another thread (woman saved by whistle), put the light AND the whistle round your neck.
I forgot cos my whistle is on my watch strap, there's another on my keyring with more lights.
Lights and whistles weigh and cost nothing, so scatter them round your person. If you can go with the high quality ones do so, but a christmas cracker one is better than nothing.

qjs

#281020 - 06/08/16 02:42 PM Re: Woman used whistle after surviving 100ft fall [Re: Mark_R]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I did a very unscientific test of the 3 pea-less whistles I was looking over for some Christmas gifts several years ago.... I carry a plated brass whistle with pea... and disclaimer::I have significant hearing loss in the 4000 Hz range from 35 years of pistol competition... the Acme 636 at the top was the loudest to my old ears (from the Lifeguard Store)...

#281021 - 06/08/16 03:29 PM Re: Woman used whistle after surviving 100ft fall [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

There is a handy whistle whic is an integral part of the sternum strap on your pack https://www.rei.com/product/848923/gear-aid-whistle-sternum-strap-buckle-kit-34

$5 well spent

#281025 - 06/08/16 04:55 PM Re: Woman used whistle after surviving 100ft fall [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

I have one of the sternum strap whistles, and they're strictly the backup of a backup. I keep the 636 as my rangemaster whistle because the biting tone cuts well through background noise.

For pealess whistles, I like the ACR for giving the loudest blast for the lightest blow, and the "lifeboat" whistles for carrying distance. But, my go to rescue whistle is the big storm whistle. Attracting rescue should not involve subtlety.

Someone who had given it more thought then I have.

https://bigpigblog.com/2014/06/13/whistlemania-iv-sound-off/

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#281026 - 06/08/16 05:29 PM Re: Woman used whistle after surviving 100ft fall [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

"I have one of the sternum strap whistles, and they're strictly the backup of a backup."

I would basically agree with your statement, but the sternum strap whistle is always there. I bought a new pack this week, and I noted that the sternum strap whistle was part of the package.

The whistle you have handy is better than the one back in the drawer. I typically carry at least one other (louder) whistle with me when outdoors.

#281032 - 06/09/16 06:24 AM Re: Woman used whistle after surviving 100ft fall [Re: Mark_R]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Mark_R

Someone who had given it more thought then I have.

https://bigpigblog.com/2014/06/13/whistlemania-iv-sound-off/

That was a great whistle test series - the link above is to part IV, but the author posted the five completed parts here:

https://bigpigblog.com/tag/safety-whistles/

[Note: I don't see the part VI "in the woods" test yet, but the author cautions that his preliminary testing indicates different results than in the over-water test.]

In the overwater test, only three of the two dozen whistles tested were heard at 1 mile by the non hearing-damaged subjects. Those three were:
  • Storm (heard at 1/2 mile by the hearing-damaged subject)
  • Windstorm
  • lifejacket whistle (heard at 3/4 mile by the hearing-damaged subject)

The site doesn't give a brand for the lifejacket whistle, but comparing the photos with the Net, I'd say the Sea-Dog Life Jacket Whistle is the best match.

If you have a Boy Scout troop to equip, try searching for "Sea Dog Life Jacket Whistle Display - 40 pack" - the unit price drops below $1.35 including shipping.

I carry the TOPS whistle in my EDC neckpouch, and the STORM in my glovebox.

I did have a lifejacket whistle, and liked it, but my wife liked it better than the others, so it is mine no more.

#281034 - 06/09/16 12:48 PM Re: Woman used whistle after surviving 100ft fall [Re: rafowell]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I like the way Whistlemania/BigPigBlog does their testing using the ears of real SAR folks. I too have high-end frequency hearing loss and it makes a big difference in the real world. Throw in a bit of tinnitus and a whistle tone can be effectively masked. Pulsing the tones helps a lot IMO; it seems that a long tone will get drowned out while short blasts in succession will be picked up, regardless of the tonal frequency.

BTW, I settled on the FOX 40 Sharx, easy to blow (I don't understand "too easy") and a frequency that comes through my ambient background noise.

FWIW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 578 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.