The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#277302 - 10/26/15 11:05 PM World Travel Kit For Various Locations
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Let's assume one is about to find one's self in a new job.

This new employment will have you traveling CONUS and OCONUS occasionally for periods of two to four weeks at a time. CONUS, I am okay planning with, because I already do that.

OCONUS creates a problem. Some of these places include Bahrain, Djbouti, Spain, Italy, South Korea, Japan, Guam, and etc. Some of those places would rather folks from the U.S. didn't visit, much less have a military presence. Now, since I will not be a member of my counties services, I will be left to my own devices some or all of the time.

I will be working on DoD installations, and in some locations living there also. One must still move from the airport terminal to the base, so I can go bad.

Where are my former green beanies who think about "unlawful detention" and getting out of those zip ties, along with the MP1 tabs in Africa and other garden spots. These are the suggestions I am looking for. Also I am looking for international specific ideas for anywhere we have navy bases. What to add to a CONUS kit, what besides firearms to remove, etc.

Thanks.

Edited by Desperado (10/26/15 11:10 PM)

RIP OBG

#277303 - 10/26/15 11:14 PM Re: World Travel Kit For Various Locations [Re: Desperado]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

The other question I had was has anyone used any of the anti-terror/kidnapping schools that are reported to be the latest experts.

I realize this isn't "I am lost in the woods and need to survive" type of stuff, but I also remember we had several folks that were 18-series folks from my branch, and comparable in other branches / countries present, as well as a few folks who make their daily bread in the desert as a contractor. Just curious.

RIP OBG

#277306 - 10/27/15 12:49 AM Re: World Travel Kit For Various Locations [Re: Desperado]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm hardly an expert and I never served in the military, but there is one thing I do know: local intel is what makes or breaks your preparation and your success in moving through an urban population unnoticed, and escaping if you are detained unlawfully. Knowing what you can have with you legally, what will attract the wrong kind of attention, how to get from A to B safely, places you should go and place you should avoid, are critical.

I don't travel internationally much but I have a small ceramic blade along with a plastic handcuff key that I can easily keep unnoticed. While I can pick handcuffs with a paperclip or bobby pin it's a skill that degrades quickly and I don't practice often.

#277308 - 10/27/15 01:56 AM Re: World Travel Kit For Various Locations [Re: Desperado]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

The trick is, I will only be in each spot a couple of weeks at a time. I might be in Spain, Virginia, Djbouti, College Station (New Home to be), Bahrain, etc. so learning the local area will be spotty at best.

This has to become an everywhere kit that can go in a checked bag to a foreign country like California or Bahrain.
When I am in the United States, I will have every benefit of the Bill of Rights, so I will go Texan.

Edited by Desperado (10/27/15 01:57 AM)

RIP OBG

#277310 - 10/27/15 02:48 AM Re: World Travel Kit For Various Locations [Re: Desperado]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
once upon a time, I had access to Department of State/CIA area handbooks.... don't know if they are still available, but they gave concise and updated intelligence on the geo-political climate of the area...local customs to be honored.. areas of dispute, conflict, and relative safety for foreign travelers...

have your employer set up a "blood chit" system that rewards those providing you aid, payable only on your safe return

we carried a copy of birth certificate, set of orders with our security clearance, and a few $20s in a money belt to help get us through the gate of the US Embassy/Consulate/military installation

#277328 - 10/27/15 06:40 PM Re: World Travel Kit For Various Locations [Re: Desperado]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Sounds like a pretty challenging situation. I can only share what I picked up over the time on my travels. I would keep my kit as "politically correct" as possible. Approach it a lot like you would air travel. Pack light, too much luggage is a serious liability and slows you down. A sturdy medium-sized backpack, if large enough for your purposes, makes you more mobile than a suitcase.

Spare clothes, maybe an extra pair of shoes, sunglasses, hat and basic accessories. Good footwear is very important, light hiking boots tend to work well in most environments. Cash, credit cards, documents, photocopies of anything important (including plane tickets and such). Never carry all of the above in the same place. A money belt works well, but keep some cash and possibly an ID/driver's licence elsewhere, preferably in a safe pocket. Have a small amount cash somewhere easily accessible (shirt/pants pocket) so you don't have to reach for your wallet all the time.

Don't forget a good first aid kit with a generous supply of any vital meds. Always carry some paracetamol, pain relievers, antihistamine, anti-diarrhea meds.

Blades - I feel very uncomfortable without a good folding knife at least. But there are many places where carrying sharps of any kind in public will get you in real trouble. Check in advance if at all possible. When in doubt, a SAK or a multitool will arouse far less suspicion that a one-hand opening knife.

Maps and maybe a small compass, could be a button type. Maps are extremely important, try to study them in advance so that you know where you're going. Bright, robust compact flashlight w/ spare batteries. Small sewing kit and a little bit of ducttape can be used to fix most of your gear and clothing in a pinch.

Are you traveling alone or in a group? Solo travel is always riskier. A companion you can trust is a huge asset but not sure if that applies to your situation.

No need to get paranoid without due reason but in general, try to attract as little attention as possible. Give the impression of someone who knows exactly what he's doing (that famous been-here-before look). Be polite but avoid excessive contact with anyone you're not entirely sure about. Do not talk about your job or affiliation unless you need to. Avoid any dodgy places with few foreigners and little police or government presence. Dress accordingly, avoid expensive suits and anything openly "tacticool". In some of the places you mentioned you will stand out as a foreigner no matter what you do.

If kidnapping is a genuine concern I would discuss the matter very openly with your employers. They might be able to help with specific training. If not, consult professionals with a good track record and real-world experience.

In any case, have some kind of safety mechanism in place. Keep in touch regularly with your family/friends/loved ones, let your employer know where you're going. Cell phones can be tracked very easily as long as they're switched on and within network range. At the expense of privacy, there are commercial tracking services and even free apps that will log your position constantly, which could be pretty useful to a point.

P.S.: Regardless of the above, don't forget to have some fun regardless of where you go eventually. It's a big exciting world out there, might as well enjoy the ride while it lasts.

#277330 - 10/27/15 10:15 PM Re: World Travel Kit For Various Locations [Re: Desperado]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Advance specific local knowledge and/or experience is always the best. Assuming that the travel is as an employee of a company that has a contract to perform services in these locations, it seems reasonable to assume other employees have been there before you, and have this critical knowledge. If you do not know them, seek them out, perhaps even consult your supervisor or corporate security officer(s), or even people who are your "customer" who have this knowledge. They almost surely will be able to give you advice based on actual local knowledge and experience.

Sorry if this a "no-brainer" that you are already doing, but I've seen a co-worker go off on an international trip, arrive at the foreign airport without having a Visa. If he had bothered to ask anyone in the company, he would have been told he needed one, and how to get it, as many of our employees had made the same trip before him. As he never asked, everyone assumed he knew what he was doing. As you might expect, excitement ensued when we got word he had been arrested.

#277332 - 10/28/15 01:40 AM Re: World Travel Kit For Various Locations [Re: Tom_L]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

I will almost always be alone, but luckily in the less palatable destinations I will be staying on post.

Looks like Djbouti is on the airport property, Bahrain is another kettle of fish entirely. I'm glad we vacated Yemen.

Of course there are now plenty of folks who were raised on Death to America in Europe and elsewhere that would love to get hands on a hostage.
Ironically the first civilian contractor killed on TV in Iraq took the job I had turned down.

I think I should like to avoid that outcome this time around also.

RIP OBG

#277333 - 10/28/15 01:41 AM Re: World Travel Kit For Various Locations [Re: bws48]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

But, I AM the advance party.

RIP OBG

#277336 - 10/28/15 01:50 AM Re: World Travel Kit For Various Locations [Re: Desperado]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Let's remember I am going to the established bases our government has established. It's the airport to accommodations to work to airport issues in the less desirable places, and the everywhere in the "safe places".

Of course, I will end up hauling everything just to feel better. It's pockets mostly, and a smaller sized "ditch" bag in my computer bag. Rigged so I can let go of the laptop ruck, an hold the "hit and run" bag.

All I wear is 5.11 cover kakhi or ScottEVest covert cargo pants according to how I am armed (pocket or belt carry) in the states.

RIP OBG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 617 Guests and 114 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.