Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#266660 - 01/18/14 06:36 PM Multiuse items for FAK?
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm not very happy with the capability of my small first aid kit, for hiking/mountaineering. I want certain capability, but also small size. Do any of you known first aid items, which can be used in multiple fashion in first aid applications?

There are a few things I already did to mine small FAK:
- Sterile triangular bandage; combines the function of a really large pad, way to secure things and as a sling.
- Only non-stick sterile gauze pads; because a non-stick can do what a regular gauze does, but also on wounds were you want the non-stick.
- No separate bandages rolls, but only ‘ready made bandages’ the type with a non-stick gauze pad build in to it.

Edited by Tjin (01/18/14 06:50 PM)

#266661 - 01/18/14 06:43 PM Re: Multiuse items for FAK? [Re: Tjin]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Tape. If you can't fix it with tape you probably can't fix it in the field.

#266667 - 01/18/14 08:34 PM Re: Multiuse items for FAK? [Re: Tjin]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+1 on tape ( first aid and/or duct)

I like a six compartment pillbox, hard sided, because meds are hard to improvise.

Most of my FAK's have spf chapstick

fauxton light

And 90% of the time its a bandaid or ibuprofen that gets used...

#266675 - 01/19/14 01:04 AM Re: Multiuse items for FAK? [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A whole lot of first aid items are lurking in your gear, just biding their time-like bandanas which are actually triangulars, the blue foam pad which can become a C collar, the aluminum pack stays which transform into splints - the list goes on and on. I like to have in my dedicated FAK an ace bandage or two, some sterile dressings of various sizes, and "odds and ends". I keep bandaids stashed in my wallet - really handy there and I agree that they can handle most situations.

I like a multitool for aid in improvising items. For instance, I'll bet I could saw out some really dandy splints from the gunwales of Canoe Dogs craft in a very short time, and come up with a really good item.

Edited by hikermor (01/19/14 01:06 AM)

#266689 - 01/19/14 08:16 PM Re: Multiuse items for FAK? [Re: Tjin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
MacGyvering first aid items, it goes both ways. Potassium permanganate is a good example.

#266707 - 01/20/14 11:15 AM Re: Multiuse items for FAK? [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Tape

I got tape. Really big fan of the wide sports tape. From gear fixing, attaching gauze/bandages or as a support for ankles.

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I like a six compartment pillbox, hard sided, because meds are hard to improvise.

I'm always surprised about the amount of medications in American FAK's. A pack of pain killers is as much you will find in any European one's. I rarely feel the need to use medication. For example i'm pretty sure i have taken less then 10 pain killers in my life. I have only carried some pain killers, ORS salts and diarrhea pills in my FAK's.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
A whole lot of first aid items are lurking in your gear, just biding their time-like bandanas which are actually triangulars, the blue foam pad which can become a C collar, the aluminum pack stays which transform into splints - the list goes on and on. I like to have in my dedicated FAK an ace bandage or two, some sterile dressings of various sizes, and "odds and ends". I keep bandaids stashed in my wallet - really handy there and I agree that they can handle most situations.

I like a multitool for aid in improvising items. For instance, I'll bet I could saw out some really dandy splints from the gunwales of Canoe Dogs craft in a very short time, and come up with a really good item.

Well being a mountaineer we are like to travel light. We wear the same underwear for a week. So I don't carry a lot of other things i can maxgyver with.

#266710 - 01/20/14 02:52 PM Re: Multiuse items for FAK? [Re: Tjin]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Tjin
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

I'm always surprised about the amount of medications in American FAK's. A pack of pain killers is as much you will find in any European one's. I rarely feel the need to use medication. For example i'm pretty sure i have taken less then 10 pain killers in my life. I have only carried some pain killers, ORS salts and diarrhea pills in my FAK's.

Minimum in mine would be NSAID, anti-diarrheal, antihistamine, decongestant, and sore throat lozenges.

#266711 - 01/20/14 03:29 PM Re: Multiuse items for FAK? [Re: Tjin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
When you start giving pills, even something as innocuous as aspirin, you are getting beyond official first aid protocols. However, there are procedures I would follow for myself,family, and close associates/friends that I would not likely perform for a stranger. It's hard to say, precisely, because circumstances vary and can change quite rapidly.

Edited by hikermor (01/20/14 03:30 PM)

#266712 - 01/20/14 04:34 PM Re: Multiuse items for FAK? [Re: Tjin]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tjin
I rarely feel the need to use medication. For example i'm pretty sure i have taken less then 10 pain killers in my life.

That means you've been lucky. How often have you endured acute medical problems? Do you suffer from a chronic health issue? Is your health so poor that you've lost your career, and now basically rely on others to survive?

I think I got through ten painkillers in three days, and that wasn't the end of it. That was a situation that could arise with no prior medical warning. If you're in the backcountry, you'll have to evac.

Edited by Bingley (01/20/14 04:35 PM)

#266727 - 01/21/14 02:36 AM Re: Multiuse items for FAK? [Re: Tjin]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Eh, I get what Tjin is saying. My meds is pretty much motrin and my albuterol inhaler. He's right, Americans love their pills.

Lets face it, diarrhea is an inconvenience as long as you have a way to rehydrate. Allergies? Well, they're inconvenient too. If you're getting anaphalyxis out there, you're SOL - benadryl and an epi pen isn't going to save you, just put off the inevitable. it might help if you can get a medivac out in time. Tylenol? Same indications as motrin, handy if you have an NSAID allergy. need something stronger than motrin? It's called SuckItUp, and it goes well with cool compresses from that water source you should have in mind. That's why you have the buddy system, and maybe a PBL.

Multi use items:
---Typically I carry 1 ace and 1 gauze roll. The ace can be used in lieu of the gauze roll, as can a triangular bandage. ---Typically I don't have a triangle in my FAK; however I hike with a ridiculously old, old-school Army Triangle (back when it was cotton, not muslin, and is probably pushing 30 years old). Works for pretty much everything.
---4x4 gauze only, and a few band aids. Band aids aren't all that necessary (really, a scrape?). 2x2 can be improvised by folding a 4x4 - does everyone realize a 4x4 has 16 layers typically, and can be pulled apart to make smaller units? I do have one trauma bandage (the old Nam era, plastic wrapped types, pre Israeli bandage).
--A few small packets of neosporin. Don't use them much, but they're there just in case.
--Roll of the plastic 3M 1 inch 'surgical' tape. It holds pretty much through everything. I've found it works better than duct, athletic, electrical, scotch, masking ...
this one (reference only, on affiliation)
http://www.healthykin.com/showproduct.as...CFe5lOgodhC0AgQ
--a few packets of sutures. Not for everyone, but also double duties as a sewing/repair kit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Jeanette_Isabelle), 282 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.