The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#262271 - 08/02/13 08:13 PM Bottled water
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
My DW noticed I'm keeping a few bottles of water in my car. She told me I should be concerned about plasticisers leaching out of the plastic due to heat build-up in the car. Anyone know if this is a problem?

#262274 - 08/02/13 09:08 PM Re: Bottled water [Re: JPickett]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
If your talking about the thin plastic bottles that store-purchased water comes in, then yes.. if you leave the water in your car for a week, under hot conditions, there will be trace evidence of that plastic breaking down into the water.

Those chemicals have been linked to a couple types of cancer, but primarily to breast cancer.

Now.. what they don't say, is that the concentrations of that chemical would need to be like 12,0000 times greater than what they found (in 1 week old water) to really hurt you.

To be honest, I keep some Datrex water (3 year lifespan I think?) in the car for emergency, and just carry a Nalgene bottle around with me every day that I empty out and re-use.

I think you should probably be much more concerned with the quality of the water, than the container in my opinion.

Rod

#262276 - 08/02/13 10:20 PM Re: Bottled water [Re: RNewcomb]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In the sort of emergency situation in which you would consume your stash of water, the potential aftereffects of plasticizers in the bottle are insignificant compared to the immediate consequences (up to and including death) of failing to drink. I have consumed some pretty nasty H2O,figuring the doctors can cure me of whatever is in the water,if I can just win my way back to town..

#262280 - 08/02/13 10:46 PM Re: Bottled water [Re: JPickett]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I think BLAST stated that you would have to EAT seven of the older Nalgene bottles a day for a year to reach the levels of BPA that was used in these studies.It is a shame that Nalgene and other companies were singled out on this.The older Nalgenes would bounce off rocks /pavement. The newer ones not so much.Frozen solid filled with water,older nalgenes were good to go.I have even used a Nalgene as a wheel chock on a hill for a full size truck.Hmmmm any one have the old style Nalgenes they want to get rid of......

BOATMAN
John

#262285 - 08/03/13 03:17 AM Re: Bottled water [Re: JPickett]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: JPickett
She told me I should be concerned about plasticisers leaching out of the plastic due to heat build-up in the car.

"Bottled water" bottles are typical made of polyethylene (does it have a #1 on the bottom of the bottle?). Polyethylene can leach phthalates, which are known hormone disruptors. Polyethylene does not contain bisphenol-A.

Or are you talking about "water bottles" like a Nalgene?

#262286 - 08/03/13 03:44 AM Re: Bottled water [Re: boatman]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: boatman
The older Nalgenes would bounce off rocks /pavement...Frozen solid filled with water,older nalgenes were good to go. I have even used a Nalgene as a wheel chock on a hill for a full size truck.

Honestly, that's exactly the kind of stress that caused the old polycarbonate Nalgene's to leach more and more BPA. Polycarbonate is simply made of long-chains of BPA molecules. It's not an ingredient of polycarbonate--it is polycarbonate. Any stress, like rough handling, stretching from expanding ice inside, etc., damages those chains and they start to unravel. That leads to rapid leaching of BPA into the contents.

I've made this point before but traditional toxicology testing does not seem appropriate to test substances that appear to have biological activity, like hormone disruptors. In traditional toxicology, you give mice more and more of a chemical until you start seeing negative effects. According to those traditional toxicology tests, yeah, there's no way you could ingest as much BPA as used in those tests. But this paradigm assumes BPA is a poison, like mercury or lead.

The other newer paradigm is that a substance can mimic hormonal messengers instead of directly poisoning the body. More recent research tests very, very low concentrations of BPA, levels that your average person has in their blood right now. Because of biological feedback mechanisms in the body, there's a sweet spot of effect--too little or too much and your body ignores it, but at the right dose, BPA can mimic hormones that naturally exist in your body. Hormones are messengers that ramp up or ramp down various functions, so having a fake signal in the body can cause a variety of problems.

For example, it's possible that BPA could be one of the reasons why our daughters are starting puberty at younger and younger ages than ever before, long before they are ready to actually bear children of their own.

I pulled this citation from the FDA website. A 2006 meeting of experts and academics said in their summary of the meeting:

Quote:
...much evidence suggests that these adverse effects are occurring in animals within the range of exposure to BPA of the typical human living in a developed country, where virtually everyone has measurable blood, tissue and urine levels of BPA that exceed the levels produced by doses used in the “low dose” animal experiments.

From: vom Saal FS, Akingbemi BT, Belcher SM et al. Chapel Hill bisphenol A expert panel consensus statement: integration of mechanisms, effects in animals and potential to impact human health at current levels of exposure, Reproductive Toxicology 2007;24:131-8

#262289 - 08/03/13 01:54 PM Re: Bottled water [Re: Arney]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thank you, Arney - a most excellent and informative post!

#262290 - 08/03/13 02:22 PM Re: Bottled water [Re: JPickett]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
The bottle is Sam's Choice bottled water. Bottom of the bottle has "1D" and "PETE" under the recycle logo. Appreciate all the responses.

#262297 - 08/03/13 09:33 PM Re: Bottled water [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Blast, one of our moderators, in his civilian life is a Chemical Engineer.

Excuse me, it's a Ph.D. in Chemistry. I tap the fundamental units of creation and twist them to my will on a daily basis. Chemical engineers are just plumbers. cool

As for the water issue...death due to dehydration happens a lot faster than death by bad chemistry, especially when you'd have to drink more than your own weight for days on end to get a measurable increase in health issues.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#262301 - 08/04/13 05:55 AM Re: Bottled water [Re: JPickett]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Ugh, so how do you store water in cars? I usually get a block of bottled water and leave it in the back seat. This serves as my water supply when my canteen runs out of water, when I neglect/forget to bring my canteen, or just when I get thirsty. This is convenient, because the bottles are moderately sized, and I can replenish easily at the local supermarket (one plastic-wrapped block for $3). Now I'm discovering that while I might not get breast cancer, I might get started with puberty early.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, dougwalkabout), 542 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
22 minutes 40 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.