The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#259908 - 04/25/13 05:31 PM California appeals court: carrying dirk or dagger
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
This looks like it adds some needed clarification to CA law.

"California appeals court: carrying dirk or dagger in a backpack is OK"

http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2013/04/19/keep-that-dagger-in-your-backpack-court-says/

#259910 - 04/25/13 06:22 PM Re: California appeals court: carrying dirk or dagger [Re: clearwater]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have never quite understood why daggers, dirks, and stilettos are considered worse than regular knives in many states.

Bob

#259914 - 04/25/13 07:11 PM Re: California appeals court: carrying dirk or dagger [Re: clearwater]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
IMPORTANT NOTE, and this is no joke, if you carry a fixed blade in your backpack, then you can safely enjoy that awesome hike through the California hills. If you happen to place that fixed blade somewhere in your clothing while in California on public land, then you are liable to spend a year in prison.

If my calculations are correct, the Appeals Court overturned his conviction AFTER he served his one-year sentence. I need to get the heck out of California.

#259919 - 04/25/13 08:09 PM Re: California appeals court: carrying dirk or dagger [Re: ILBob]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: ILBob
I have never quite understood why daggers, dirks, and stilettos are considered worse than regular knives in many states.

...and I've never understood what the difference in all these things are. They are mentioned in my states laws, but never defined. Our laws do define "knife" however. It has to have a blade 3-1/2" or longer. I don't know what they call something with a 2-1/2" blade. But I think all the definitions (or lack of them) are somewhat a moot point. There is a catch-all term in our laws, can't remember exactly what it is, something like "stabbing implement" (with no minimum length designation), that they could nail you with.

#259921 - 04/25/13 08:21 PM Re: California appeals court: carrying dirk or dagger [Re: clearwater]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Could be that they are double-edged?

#259924 - 04/25/13 09:28 PM Re: California appeals court: carrying dirk or dagger [Re: unimogbert]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Could be that they are double-edged?

"16470. As used in this part, "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife or
other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready
use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or
death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not
prohibited by Section 21510, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use
as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death
only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position."

No double edge needed to be a dirk/dagger. Even your open pocket knife is one it seems.

#259925 - 04/25/13 11:25 PM Re: California appeals court: carrying dirk or dagger [Re: clearwater]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
As I read the court's decision, the issue was whether the defendant carried a weapon concealed upon his person. The court held that in a backpack is not upon the person. In the final lines of the decision the court mentions that had the defendant been charged with possession of shuriken instead of dirks & daggers, the conviction may have been upheld since that is controlled by a separate part of the statute that outlaws possession of shuriken. The actual weapons found on the defendant were shuriken and not dirks or daggers.

Blogger missed some of the point of the court's decision...

Edited by Lono (04/25/13 11:27 PM)

#259927 - 04/25/13 11:52 PM Re: California appeals court: carrying dirk or dagger [Re: Lono]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Lono
As I read the court's decision, the issue was whether the defendant carried a weapon concealed upon his person. The court held that in a backpack is not upon the person. In the final lines of the decision the court mentions that had the defendant been charged with possession of shuriken instead of dirks & daggers, the conviction may have been upheld since that is controlled by a separate part of the statute that outlaws possession of shuriken. The actual weapons found on the defendant were shuriken and not dirks or daggers.

Blogger missed some of the point of the court's decision...

Even if the weapons were swords in real life, for our purposes here, the weapons were actually dirks or daggers because that is what the lower court found. See, Appellate Opinion at page 2:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/opinions/documents/B238949.PDF

He was initially found guilty on possession of dirks or daggers. The note about how the weapons could have been shuriken is interesting but irrelevant. I suppose the weapons could have been spears. That would have been interesting too, but it doesn't matter because the courts treated the weapons as being dirks or daggers.

#259928 - 04/26/13 12:02 AM Re: California appeals court: carrying dirk or dagger [Re: clearwater]
Pete Offline
Veteran

this is a helpful ruling from the CA court.
we don't often see common sense from them - so I am applauding this one.

although, as others have noted, it's amazing that the amateur Bruce Lee in this case got by with possessing shurikens. but that's another story.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (04/26/13 12:02 AM)

#259929 - 04/26/13 12:08 AM Re: California appeals court: carrying dirk or dagger [Re: clearwater]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Can you carry a dirk or dagger out in California on your person (usually down in one of your big woolly socks) as long as you wear a knee length skirt in digital Camouflage along with some nice leather brogues?

I seem to remember Robbie the Pict used to fly to America with his big Sword and used to wear it in the aircraft cabin.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (04/26/13 12:09 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Today at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.